MYSTcommunity: Selenetic Age Problems - MYSTcommunity

Page 1 of 1

Selenetic Age Problems Controlling Sliders in realMYST

#1 User is offline   Ellie 

• rov nee (new person)
  • Group: Member

Posted 19 January 2013 - 10:51 PM

I'm stuck in the Spaceship Age. I have played the piano & ran back to put the sequence into the machine, but when I go off of one of the keys ( to the machine) the key automatically goes down a notch or two. Has anyone else had this problem? If so, what did you do? This is driving me batty :cries:

I don't want any spoilers please. I just want to get past this obstacle. Thanks!

#2 User is offline   Johnraka 

• Rivenworld Creator
  • Group: Veteran Member

Posted 21 January 2013 - 12:52 PM

View PostEllie, on 19 January 2013 - 10:51 PM, said:

I'm stuck in the Spaceship Age. I have played the piano & ran back to put the sequence into the machine, but when I go off of one of the keys ( to the machine) the key automatically goes down a notch or two. Has anyone else had this problem? If so, what did you do? This is driving me batty :cries:

I don't want any spoilers please. I just want to get past this obstacle. Thanks!

I think you will find that the puzzle resets itself if you try to do it one note at a time, this one drove me nuts as well, in the end I recorded the sequence on my mobile phone then went to the machine and kept playing it back to myself - needless to say I am not musically inclined so this was hard for me (so was Gehn's watch in Riven - I used the same trick in that as well). Good luck with it, don't get too disheartened... ;-)

#3 User is offline   Capella 

• Team Marbelous
  • Group: Admin

Posted 21 January 2013 - 02:05 PM

That's an unusual quirk. I recall being able to do it one note at a time, but perhaps I'm misremembering (or perhaps it varies across version...there are a lot of them now). It might be interpreting your click to hear the sound as you wanting to move it. Maybe taking Johnraka's advice and trying to do it all at once, without clicking the notches on the machine?

#4 User is offline   A'Reandal 

• oglahnth (ancient one)
  • Group: Moderator

Posted 21 January 2013 - 02:36 PM

The sliders in realMYST are terribly hard to control compared to original MYST. They don't reset when you turn away but they are hard to keep where you put them. You seem to have already figured out what to do but I won't describe it in case I'm wrong.

There's another way to set the sliders that doesn't require sound.

You can count on it to make it easier.
I never give spoilers but you can count me in the group of those who give small hints.
The realMYST sliders gave me problems. I can't count the number of times I tried to get them set.

#5 User is offline   Johnraka 

• Rivenworld Creator
  • Group: Veteran Member

Posted 21 January 2013 - 03:06 PM

View PostA, on 21 January 2013 - 02:36 PM, said:

The sliders in realMYST are terribly hard to control compared to original MYST. They don't reset when you turn away but they are hard to keep where you put them. You seem to have already figured out what to do but I won't describe it in case I'm wrong.

There's another way to set the sliders that doesn't require sound.

You can count on it to make it easier.
I never give spoilers but you can count me in the group of those who give small hints.
The realMYST sliders gave me problems. I can't count the number of times I tried to get them set.

Thanks A'Reandal, it has been so long since I played Myst I couldn't remember if it reset or not, this puzzle gave me a lot of grief on both versions of Myst (ANY musical puzzle gives me a lot of grief lol)...
Sorry if I misled you Ellie, worth trying the advice above...:blinky:

#6 User is offline   Ellie 

• rov nee (new person)

Posted 21 January 2013 - 08:33 PM

Thank you to everyone who replied. :loveya:

It's funny that it was suggested that I use my mobile phone to record the melody because I had mentioned doing just that. I also tried to count the number of notes it took to get each individual key to reach that specific note. :cheesy:

I haven't played MYST since I posted the problem I had because I wanted to see if anyone else had this problem or an idea. I'm going back in tonight, so wish me luck and thanks again to everyone who replied :cheesy:

#7 User is offline   Ellie 

• rov nee (new person)

Posted 21 January 2013 - 09:13 PM

I was reading the reply that said that you don't need "soumd" to set the sliders. I'm sorry, but I am totally confused by that. I know a few deaf people & they say they hear music or notes through vibrations, but this is a little different. Toatally lost :cries:

#8 User is offline   Capella 

• Team Marbelous
  • Group: Admin

Posted 21 January 2013 - 09:19 PM

There's another hint below the spoiler. We're all trying to keep it vague, let us know if you need more.

Spoiler

#9 User is offline   A'Reandal 

• oglahnth (ancient one)

Posted 21 January 2013 - 09:20 PM

The keyboard has fewer keys than a normal organ. Have you counted them?

Yes, I know I'm a pain when it comes to "hints". :blurp:

#10 User is offline   Ellie 

• rov nee (new person)

Posted 21 January 2013 - 10:03 PM

:tomato: THANK YOU CAPELLA & A'REANDAL for the suggestions. I have now entered the Selentic Age. :loveya:
Both suggestions helped me a lot :loveya:

#11 User is offline   A'Reandal 

• oglahnth (ancient one)

Posted 22 January 2013 - 12:37 PM

:laugh:
Well, Capella. Between us, without meaning to, we gave it to her!

Next time we'll try to leave out the silver platter. ;)

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1

Fast Reply

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users