MYSTcommunity: Maze Runner - MYSTcommunity

Page 1 of 1

Maze Runner Everything looks the same

#1 User is offline   Ellie 

• rov nee (new person)
  • Group: Member

Posted 29 January 2013 - 08:25 AM

I'm in the maze runner and getting totally discouraged :cries:
My sense of direction is poor if I don't have different visuals to mark my path. Here everything looks the same & I can't keep track of where I've been by using the compass on the right hand side of the pannel. :cries:
Did anyone else get through the maze using a different technique?
I tried going by sounds that the maze runner makes when it goes somewhere, but even those sound the same after a while :cries: .
Any suggestions??? They would be appreciated :loveya:

#2 User is offline   Capella 

• Team Marbelous
  • Group: Admin

Posted 29 January 2013 - 09:05 AM

You are supposed to navigate the mazerunner by sound. When you restart the puzzle and go forward to the first intersection, you'll hear a particular sound. You have heard this sound before. This sound will tell you which way, directionally, to turn the mazerunner. Where else have you heard sounds that point to directions?

#3 User is offline   luna 

• meh
  • Group: Team Member
  • KI number:141809

Posted 29 January 2013 - 01:32 PM

A few hints, but maybe too cryptic :p

- there are a limited number of unique "sounds", less than the total number directions
- sometimes more than one of these "sounds" is played

I'm not sure anymore how I finished this puzzle originally, I was only a child when I played it for the first time and since then I can just follow my intuition for which sound is associated with which direction.

#4 User is offline   Ellie 

• rov nee (new person)

Posted 29 January 2013 - 09:05 PM

View PostCapella, on 29 January 2013 - 09:05 AM, said:

You are supposed to navigate the mazerunner by sound. When you restart the puzzle and go forward to the first intersection, you'll hear a particular sound. You have heard this sound before. This sound will tell you which way, directionally, to turn the mazerunner. Where else have you heard sounds that point to directions?

Thank you. I did think of the sounds as a way to navigate. I asked myself what would a blind person do? :arianna: What other ways are there to get to your destination? Sight is not our only sense. My issue is that I get to a sound, write down the direction & the sound, then choose a new destination w/ a totally different sound. Then I try to get back to where I originally came from & get totally lost
I thought rotate the runner until you so hear that sound again, but it hasn't worked. :cries:

Yes, I have heard those sounds before :loveya: . I mentioned that to my husband. I believe I heard those in the Mechanical Age, but I don't know the direction I was going. I'll have to review my notes tonight.
Thanks for your suggestions.

#5 User is offline   A'Reandal 

• oglahnth (ancient one)
  • Group: Moderator

Posted 29 January 2013 - 10:07 PM

You are supposed to navigate the mazerunner by sound.

What of those who haven't heard the sounds before? Those who came to Selenetic before Mechanical? :suspicious:

For years I've read that you can use the sounds but I could never understand exactly how. I believe it and understand the different directions vs. sounds etc. but... I guess I'm just a slave to my engineering mind (with no artistic talent whatsoever) surrounded by all of you wonderfuly artistically talented people.

I backtracked to the beginning and drew a map. It was my only hope of escaping the Misery Runner. ;)

#6 User is offline   Zenoc2 

• lontahn (discoverer)
  • Group: Veteran Member
  • KI number:01951307

Posted 30 January 2013 - 07:35 AM

View PostA, on 29 January 2013 - 10:07 PM, said:

You are supposed to navigate the mazerunner by sound.

What of those who haven't heard the sounds before? Those who came to Selenetic before Mechanical? :suspicious:

For years I've read that you can use the sounds but I could never understand exactly how. I believe it and understand the different directions vs. sounds etc. but... I guess I'm just a slave to my engineering mind (with no artistic talent whatsoever) surrounded by all of you wonderfuly artistically talented people.

I backtracked to the beginning and drew a map. It was my only hope of escaping the Misery Runner. ;)

That was actually how my dad solved it, and thinking back now, I believe that's how I solved it, too. We're both engineers of sorts, though- he's a computer engineer, I'm a computer scientist. :p

#7 User is offline   Capella 

• Team Marbelous

Posted 30 January 2013 - 09:17 AM

View PostA, on 29 January 2013 - 10:07 PM, said:

The tip to use the sounds from Mechanical was originally given to my 8 year old self by my best friend's mom, who was enjoying watching us flail before she took pity. That said, figuring out which sounds were which was a pain in the rear end for me, and the combined sounds for mixed directions like NE are really the worst. It's a really awful puzzle.

It would be cool to see a full map of all the paths within the Maze Runner, actually.

#8 User is offline   A'Reandal 

• oglahnth (ancient one)

Posted 01 February 2013 - 08:56 PM

Capella,
Well you got me thinking and I revisited the mazerunner. After ALL these years I finally got it. Sheesh, I'm dense! It was so easy I still can't believe it.

Ellie,
I see in your Seagulls and Butterflies journal that you got through Selenetic and back to Myst Island. How? Did you use the sounds? Draw a map? Other?

Oh. Did your seagulls and butterflies ever return? You mentioned they disappeared from Myst Island after returning from Mechanical. :( I've never heard of them disappearing and not being present during the entire game.

Capella (agehn),
About seeing a full map of the mazerunner track? There are pics of it on the web. heh, one of them is a link to this board when I scanned and posted that part of my hand written journal. It's not complete with all of the dead ends but it shows the way out. A map by DaDungeon (jDaisy personality) also showed up in the search. Does anyone remember DaDungeoun from RivenGuild?

#9 User is offline   Ellie 

• rov nee (new person)

Posted 02 February 2013 - 07:58 PM

I'm so sorry. I posted more infomation in my journal than in the hints. Since it was in my journal, I didn't want to give too much information (just incase I ruined for someone who hadn't played yet). :arianna:
Yes, I navigated out of the mazerunner through sound.
I remember those sounds in the Mechanical Age near that simulator and I used the simulator for directions too.
No, my seagulls & butterflies haven't returned :cries: . In my first posting, I was curious about what a person would eat if trapped on an island. I mentioned the seagulls & butterflies as a source of food. Maybe they sensed that I may of been hungry & thought to themselves. . . "LET'S GET OUT OF HERE!"(joke)
Thanks again for the all the suggestions people gave.
If you read my journal; you'll see that I got through with all of your help. :loveya:

#10 User is offline   Ellie 

• rov nee (new person)

Posted 03 February 2013 - 08:51 PM

Ok, I am about to check out the Rime Age. After that any suggestions on the next game to play? Riven?

#11 User is offline   Johnraka 

• Rivenworld Creator

Posted 04 February 2013 - 04:32 AM

View PostEllie, on 03 February 2013 - 08:51 PM, said:

Ok, I am about to check out the Rime Age. After that any suggestions on the next game to play? Riven?

At the risk of upsetting the Mods (which I seem to have done in your other posts) go for Riven, you will love the awesome graphics and sheer beauty of the place, grab a notebook and pen as you will need to keep notes.
Strikes me that you are more observant than many I know who have played Myst as you have picked up on things I (and they) never even noticed so you shouldn't miss too much in Riven - the environment is vast compared to Myst and so full of wonder.

Hopefully I haven't messed up by responding to you in this thread - hopefully...

Enjoy the beauty and awesomeness of Riven...

#12 User is offline   A'Reandal 

• oglahnth (ancient one)

Posted 04 February 2013 - 09:47 AM

This is exactly where you're supposed to respond. Reader comments in journals is discouraged but not "forbidden". ;) Sorry, Johnraka. I didn't mean to be so harsh but ask anyone who has known me for years: I'm the evil Mod. :evil:
Ellie,
You did finish Myst much quicker than many. In fact, amazingly fast (at least to me.) Myst took me much longer to finish. You'll do fine in Riven but as Johnraka said, it is definitely much more complex.

Be sure to come back here and start a new topic when you need help in Riven. I said "when" because almost everyone needed help in Riven. Personally, I finished Riven with no help but it took me 11 months. :twitch: (It was actually a very pleasant and rewarding 11 months.)

#13 User is offline   Johnraka 

• Rivenworld Creator

Posted 04 February 2013 - 10:33 AM

View PostA, on 04 February 2013 - 09:47 AM, said:

This is exactly where you're supposed to respond. Reader comments in journals is discouraged but not "forbidden". ;) Sorry, Johnraka. I didn't mean to be so harsh but ask anyone who has known me for years: I'm the evil Mod. :evil:
Ellie,
You did finish Myst much quicker than many. In fact, amazingly fast (at least to me.) Myst took me much longer to finish. You'll do fine in Riven but as Johnraka said, it is definitely much more complex.

Be sure to come back here and start a new topic when you need help in Riven. I said "when" because almost everyone needed help in Riven. Personally, I finished Riven with no help but it took me 11 months. :twitch: (It was actually a very pleasant and rewarding 11 months.)

No worries mate, I should have read the guidelines Posted Image. Trouble is sometimes you get so wrapped up in a thing you forget where you are.

Of all the times I have played Riven (and they have been many) I still come back to it and never get bored, in fact I have just started some fanfiction based around Riven and my trip there following the discovery of my Uncles artifacts - artifacts linking him to Riven long before it was written about...

There, now that has got you guessing hasn't it?

Good luck with Riven Ellie, hope you enjoy it as much as Myst (I'm sure you will...Posted Image)

#14 User is offline   Johnraka 

• Rivenworld Creator

Posted 04 February 2013 - 05:52 PM

p.s. Ellie, if you want a preview of Riven, take a look at this posting I did some time back (link to Youtube).

http://www.mystcommu...deo-on-youtube/

At least it will give you a flavour and there are plenty of Riven clips on YouTube as well but be careful as some of those will contain spoilers - my one doesn't, it is simply a collection of images put together as a movie/slide show - enjoy...

#15 User is offline   Ellie 

• rov nee (new person)

Posted 05 February 2013 - 07:49 PM

View PostJohnraka, on 04 February 2013 - 05:52 PM, said:

p.s. Ellie, if you want a preview of Riven, take a look at this posting I did some time back (link to Youtube).

http://www.mystcommu...deo-on-youtube/

At least it will give you a flavour and there are plenty of Riven clips on YouTube as well but be careful as some of those will contain spoilers - my one doesn't, it is simply a collection of images put together as a movie/slide show - enjoy...

Thank you for those kind words. People tell me that I have some artistic abilities, but I don't see them. I finished Myst and am now in the Rime Age. It 's cool. I absolutley LOVE the "mother whale with her two babies". I'll write more on my first impression of that Age in my journal.

With the commenting in the journal that the moderator(?) wrote. He is absoultely correct. However, I can understand how easy it is to forget where you are. It's good we have people to keep us in check & remind us of these things. Where would we be without people telling us things like that :loveya:

I personally only come here to ask for help, but now I will use it/ the Blah place as a message board.
Thanks again for the compliments.

View PostA, on 04 February 2013 - 09:47 AM, said:

Ellie,

Thanks for the compliment on how fast I finished MYST, but my husband (he already played it) watching me play too. He was very helpful and would give me give me "nudges" instead of the answers. He also knew when to do it & when not to do it because he didn't want me to get discouraged with the game. He did a great job, so a lot of that credit should go to him :loveya:

#16 User is offline   A'Reandal 

• oglahnth (ancient one)

Posted 05 February 2013 - 09:15 PM

View PostEllie, on 05 February 2013 - 07:49 PM, said:

With the commenting in the journal that the moderator(?) wrote. He is absoultely correct. However, I can understand how easy it is to forget where you are. It's good we have people to keep us in check & remind us of these things. Where would we be without people telling us things like that :loveya:

:laugh: Sorry, I'm laughing because that was one of the nicest things anyone has said about my moderating (maybe the ONLY nice thing.) You're new here and don't know my moderating, um, "skills" (and lack of people skills.) Everyone else knows how mean I really am. :evil: If some of the old members would come out of the woodwork they would tell you. :p
I know you haven't actually finished realMYST but when you do I was thinking you might want to read the novels next instead of jumping straight into Riven. It would help explain many of the things your saw in realMyst and then in Riven. The order of the Myst/Riven storyline has two of the novels first and then Myst and Riven followed by a third novel.

The Book of Ti'ana
The Book of Atrus
MYST
Riven
The Book of D'ni
Exile
Revelation
Uru
End of Ages

hmmm. This may be really bad advice. You need other opinions. I hope others will chime in here in case I'm leading you astray.

I changed my mind. New advice: Finish realMYST, play Riven, and then read the novels.

#17 User is offline   Capella 

• Team Marbelous

Posted 05 February 2013 - 09:35 PM

I'd actually suggest Book of Atrus before Riven, Book of Ti'ana can go either way, and Book of D'ni needs to be after.

#18 User is offline   A'Reandal 

• oglahnth (ancient one)

Posted 06 February 2013 - 02:05 PM

View PostCapella, on 05 February 2013 - 09:35 PM, said:

I'd actually suggest Book of Atrus before Riven, Book of Ti'ana can go either way, and Book of D'ni needs to be after.

That's a good idea as it would help in understanding Riven and its main characters. But it would also remove some of the insane confusion mystery from the game.

#19 User is offline   Ellie 

• rov nee (new person)

Posted 08 February 2013 - 08:41 PM

Thanks for the suggestions. I will definetley give it some thought. I have to finish the book I'm rereading now... The Hobbit. I know it has nothing to do with MYST, but hey... It's Tolkien. It shouldn't be too long, I'm almost finished with it.

I finished my MYST journal tonight, just incase anyone wants to read it. It has been suggested that I read The Book of Atrus before go on to the next game (which I believe is called Riven).Did anyone do that and did it help?

#20 User is offline   Capella 

• Team Marbelous

Posted 08 February 2013 - 09:04 PM

I played Myst and read Book of Atrus right after it came out and before Riven. It helped me because it was fun to build a mental image of Riven from the book and then compare it to the game.

#21 User is offline   A'Reandal 

• oglahnth (ancient one)

Posted 08 February 2013 - 09:40 PM

Does anyone else have an opinion on what this newbee Ellie should do next? Come on. Voice your opinions! We have the power to control her (Myst) destiny. :evil: mwahaha *cough* :um:
Anyway. ;)

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1

Fast Reply

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users