MYSTcommunity: Extra Thing? - MYSTcommunity

Page 1 of 1

Extra Thing? I wonder if anyone noticed this before.

#1 User is offline   Veovis17 

• choortahn (learner)
  • Group: Member

Posted 13 February 2013 - 07:33 PM

Posted Image
has anyone ever noticed that that door is on the wrong side? If so, sorry for wasting your time.

#2 User is offline   033031056 

• lontahn (discoverer)
  • Group: Veteran Member

Posted 15 February 2013 - 07:30 AM

Good grief !!!!!!!

I've seen this press picture a million times (....slight exaggeration possibly), it's been my Desktop off an on for years.....and I never once noticed this !

No wonder I'm rubbish at adventure games lol

Good for you

#3 User is offline   Shinkansen 

• Friendly Forum Curmudgeon
  • KI number:00759215

Posted 15 February 2013 - 11:42 AM

Yup, I've noticed, I think it was ShadyParadox's LP of Myst III that told me about it.
I guess the marketing division at Ubisoft felt that view of the island was better, but they also wanted to show the front of the Tusk Observatory.

#4 User is offline   Capella 

• Team Marbelous
  • Group: Admin

Posted 15 February 2013 - 11:43 AM

Wow, isn't it funny how we can overlook something so simple?

#5 User is offline   Gehn, lord of ages 

• MEMBER TITLE!
  • Group: Team Member
  • KI number:06087960

Posted 15 February 2013 - 06:27 PM

I wonder what the other side of J'nanin would look like? Presumably the picture would look odd with the door on the other side (it makes the scale and purpose of the tusk a little more ambiguous), but what made them choose to rotate the tusk top rather than just look at the other side (unless it's just a matching balcony that was there in earlier stages, but that doesn't seem as likely).

Maybe the ledge with the bridge over there would block the view? Maybe the ground is lower on that side, so you'd see more barren ocean? Maybe there's a texture issue that would be apparent if you looked at the other side from so high up? Maybe it would show another tusk?

#6 User is offline   Shinkansen 

Posted 15 February 2013 - 06:59 PM

View PostGehn, lord of ages, on 15 February 2013 - 06:27 PM, said:

I wonder what the other side of J'nanin would look like? Presumably the picture would look odd with the door on the other side (it makes the scale and purpose of the tusk a little more ambiguous), but what made them choose to rotate the tusk top rather than just look at the other side (unless it's just a matching balcony that was there in earlier stages, but that doesn't seem as likely).

Maybe the ledge with the bridge over there would block the view? Maybe the ground is lower on that side, so you'd see more barren ocean? Maybe there's a texture issue that would be apparent if you looked at the other side from so high up? Maybe it would show another tusk?

Posted Image
Looks like that, if we were viewing the Observatory Tusk from the way it should be rotated (looking from the lower right on the map) the Edanna Tusk would be pretty much right behind the Observatory.
I'm guessing that wouldn't be quite as visibly striking as rotating the Observatory round the wrong way.

#7 User is offline   Johnraka 

• Rivenworld Creator

Posted 18 February 2013 - 06:56 AM

Yeh, funny enough I noticed something odd about this ages ago and thought that the walkway was missing, it was only when I was looking at the picture the other day with a view to printing out a poster size print of it that I noticed the walkway was there and that it was the door that was in the wrong place.
Obviously the tower is more photogenic from this side...Posted Image

#8 User is offline   A'Reandal 

• oglahnth (ancient one)
  • Group: Moderator

Posted 18 February 2013 - 01:31 PM

That was noticed and thoroughly discussed on another message board back in 2002 (even before the game’s release.) It was decided and later confirmed to pure marketing.

Johnraka,
What walkway? That fuzzy line coming from the top of the rock with the flat top? I don’t remember if we discussed whether the walkway was missing (it was a long time ago) but I thought it was also missing. But I’ll take your word for it that it’s there since you have a high-res poster.

They also wiped out the Voltaic Tusk in the box pix.

This is what it should look like (you knew that.)
Posted Image

#9 User is offline   Capella 

• Team Marbelous

Posted 18 February 2013 - 01:48 PM

I see the walkway in the first pic, but I can also see how easy it is to miss.

#10 User is offline   A'Reandal 

• oglahnth (ancient one)

Posted 19 February 2013 - 01:49 PM

:blink: Okay. You see it, Johnraka sees it, and I see a fuzzy line that might be it. Again, do you mean the fuzzy line I've pointed out in the pic below? If you do then I guess my spatial skills have totally left me because I don't see how that line goes from the flat-topped rock pillar over to the Observatory. :twitch:

Posted Image

#11 User is offline   Johnraka 

• Rivenworld Creator

Posted 20 February 2013 - 10:41 AM

I see what you mean, maybe it is one of the other walkways or maybe their manipulation of the image screwed that up as well, it does seem a bit off-kilter. How bizarre...

#12 User is offline   Capella 

• Team Marbelous

Posted 20 February 2013 - 11:17 AM

That line was what I meant. Maybe they tried to erase the walkway going to the tower door when they moved the door, but did it poorly and left that remnant?

#13 User is offline   Zenoc2 

• lontahn (discoverer)
  • KI number:01951307

Posted 27 February 2013 - 02:02 PM

There's actually a much higher-resolution version of this shot here. To me the bridge doesn't look brushed-out to me, but rather the angle of the shot turns it into a thin line of green glass. Its position does seem a little weird, though.

As for the door being on the other side and the tusk in the background being missing: there is another difference here that might or might not be significant.

The first shot that A'Reandal posted looks like an in-game shot. Notice the rail where the copper-plated section attached to the rest of the ornamentation on the tusk is green here. In the shot that we're discussing, used on the cover of the game, the rail is more of a brass/gold color, closer to the rest of the ornamentation.

Now, here begins my speculation. :p The rail being a different color means that someone went in and altered the image, or possibly the texture of the original model. Thinking about making changes to the model, I looked closer at the rails. Notice, in the high-res shot, there's another rail, this one silver, visible under the arches in the copper section. Looking at the way the copper section of the tower sits on these rails, I have to wonder: maybe this image wasn't an inaccurate alteration of the scene when it was made. Maybe the top of the tower was originally meant to rotate, riding on those rails?

Again, all speculation based on the image. :blurp: The only real differences I can see between this strange shot and what's in the game are the orientation of the copper room at the top, the presence/absence of another tusk, and the color of that rail.

#14 User is offline   Gehn, lord of ages 

• MEMBER TITLE!
  • Group: Team Member
  • KI number:06087960

Posted 27 February 2013 - 07:22 PM

View PostZenoc2, on 27 February 2013 - 02:02 PM, said:

There's actually a much higher-resolution version of this shot here. To me the bridge doesn't look brushed-out to me, but rather the angle of the shot turns it into a thin line of green glass. Its position does seem a little weird, though.

Is the tusk possibly not even in the place it should be in game? Maybe even rendered separately and pasted on (with slight adjustments to shadows and the like - but there's no major reflections nor things covering the foreground of the tusk which would make it difficult)?

Maybe the top of the tower was originally meant to rotate, riding on those rails?

That is a very Myst-ish thing to do.

#15 User is offline   Veovis17 

• choortahn (learner)
  • Group: Member

Posted 28 February 2013 - 04:52 PM

Now, here begins my speculation. :p The rail being a different color means that someone went in and altered the image, or possibly the texture of the original model. Thinking about making changes to the model, I looked closer at the rails. Notice, in the high-res shot, there's another rail, this one silver, visible under the arches in the copper section. Looking at the way the copper section of the tower sits on these rails, I have to wonder: maybe this image wasn't an inaccurate alteration of the scene when it was made. Maybe the top of the tower was originally meant to rotate, riding on those rails?

I agree. this Picture( which is incidentally my background) you can see the wire-frame model for the island. you can see the bridge. If you eyes are good, you can even see the details that are around that silver bar. :blink:

#16 User is offline   Shinkansen 

Posted 28 February 2013 - 05:05 PM

The first shot that A'Reandal posted looks like an in-game shot. Notice the rail where the copper-plated section attached to the rest of the ornamentation on the tusk is green here. In the shot that we're discussing, used on the cover of the game, the rail is more of a brass/gold color, closer to the rest of the ornamentation.

The rail's also in this shot, which I assume is in-game. Though it seems to be a bit bluer, but that might be from lighting differences.
Posted Image
Also, given that the observatory seems to be attached with giant hooks and bolts to the upper ring of that green/copper thing, I doubt that it could rotate as it is currently designed.

Though I wouldn't be surprised if at one point the entire observatory rotated, given that nearly every thing else in the game rotates, flips, floats, inverts, or otherwise moves in some complicated fashion. Just look at the wooden elevator/pod/stabby-knife-thing in J'nanin.

#17 User is offline   Zenoc2 

• lontahn (discoverer)
  • KI number:01951307

Posted 28 February 2013 - 07:10 PM

View PostGehn, lord of ages, on 27 February 2013 - 07:22 PM, said:

Is the tusk possibly not even in the place it should be in game? Maybe even rendered separately and pasted on (with slight adjustments to shadows and the like - but there's no major reflections nor things covering the foreground of the tusk which would make it difficult)?

That's another possibility, yes. The fact that the tusk and ornamentation seem to be in the same orientation in the first shot A'Reandal posted as they are in the image we're discussing, however, makes me think that it was just the copper "observatory" portion that was rotated. Whether it was originally designed to rotate or not, we can only speculate. I can't see the same secured-ness that Shinkansen can, but I think we can safely say that the model in this shot and the one that was used for the tower in-game have the observatory in different orientations.

#18 User is offline   A'Reandal 

• oglahnth (ancient one)

Posted 01 March 2013 - 06:54 PM

I agree the observatory looks like it should rotate. As GLoA stated, it's very Myst-ish. It even looks like a sort of "tower". Tower rotation? ;)

The first shot that A'Reandal posted looks like an in-game shot.

That’s a shot I got from a Google search. When I saw it I thought I recognized it as a game screen shot. It might be but it’s been a long time since I played . . . mumble mumble

Anyway, once my cognitive skills returned I looked in the Exile folder on my computer and found all of the pics that were released on the web before the game was released. I have 144 shots from May 2000 through September 2001. Heh. Many are the pics we used to solve the J’nanin lantern puzzle before the game was released. Yes, we did that. :D

Enough of my rambling.

This pic is one of them released around September 2000. It explains why the walkway in the pics we’ve been studying looks like it doesn’t go toward the observatory: The landing is offset. It also perfectly matches the map Shinkansen posted (which is still available in a Google search.)

Posted Image

#19 User is offline   A'Reandal 

• oglahnth (ancient one)

Posted 01 March 2013 - 07:40 PM

Sorry for the double post.

I loaded Exile for the first time in years. Here's the in-game view of the shot I posted earlier. hmmm. Did this game really only run at 640x480?

Posted Image

Forgive the interruption.

Back to the rotation theories!

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1

Fast Reply

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users