MYSTcommunity: Uru rant - MYSTcommunity

Page 1 of 1

Uru rant sorry to complain (spoilers)

Poll: Did you like Uru?

This is a public poll. Other members will be able to see which options you chose

Did you like Uru?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 User is offline   Veovis17 

• choortahn (learner)
  • Group: Member

Posted 18 March 2013 - 04:25 PM

This is just my complaints about uru.

First off, I liked when myst was puzzle solving, not jumping from one spinning platform to the next. Or linning up wooden crates so you don't get wet. Or running to get into a bucket in time.also, they say that uru is the real stuff in myst, and that everything else is retconned out, but uru has the most artistic liccens of every game. How can you use a woven cloth to link? Also, how can you keep a linking book with you forever? Just a small gripe, how did the maintainer suit get a pocket for a relto book? uru brakes almost every rule of linking.and just because yeesha is the grower, doesn't mean she can control the weather.

Sorry to complain,just need to feet that off my chest.

#2 User is offline   Talashar 

• oglahneth (ancient one)
  • Group: Team Member
  • KI number:00183867

Posted 18 March 2013 - 07:13 PM

View PostVeovis17, on 18 March 2013 - 04:25 PM, said:

First off, I liked when myst was puzzle solving, not jumping from one spinning platform to the next. Or linning up wooden crates so you don't get wet. Or running to get into a bucket in time.

Yes. The Gira puzzle in particular is ridiculous and frustrating, especially because failure is so punishing. :twitch: What were the people at Cyan thinking?

View PostVeovis17, on 18 March 2013 - 04:25 PM, said:

also, they say that uru is the real stuff in myst, and that everything else is retconned out, but uru has the most artistic liccens of every game. How can you use a woven cloth to link? Also, how can you keep a linking book with you forever? Just a small gripe, how did the maintainer suit get a pocket for a relto book? uru brakes almost every rule of linking.and just because yeesha is the grower, doesn't mean she can control the weather.

In the setting of Uru, Uru itself is real while Myst and Riven are fictional, but that doesn't mean that Uru is free from artistic license. (The static linking panels are an example of this.)

The expansion of linking technology, in my opinion, dilutes the mystery and poetic associations of using books, though I don't mind the Relto book so much given that it's necessary for gameplay. As for Yeesha, it's exactly because she is the Grower that she can control the weather, or rather, she can send to you a specific Age in which it's raining. While I'm not a big fan of the philosophical consequences of having so many nearly-identical Ages, this is perfectly consistent with the theory behind the Art since well before Uru.

#3 User is offline   Lostthyme 

• Quab Wrangler
  • KI number:00280695

Posted 18 March 2013 - 09:57 PM

Your rant is completely justified. I had many of the same complaints as I was playing it a few years ago. I think in another context it could have been a pretty good game but I came into it with too many expectations. It's definitely not Myst 6.

#4 User is offline   Mike44njdevils 

• choortahn (learner)
  • KI number:04781115

Posted 19 March 2013 - 01:21 PM

The Eder Gira/Eder Kemo lightning bug puzzle was rather annoying. As for Gereesha (sp) I don't think it was that bad. Normally the worst thing that happens is you have to wait for the fortress #1 ramp to come around again. I think it's in one of the notebooks that there is a vague explanation of how that middle pillar has been eroded over time.

Frankly, I think all the Myst games could be retconned into a 3rd person, realtime 3D very nicely. I prefer the free-roam you get in Uru and Myst V (or Uru 2 lol).

As for linking within Ages, and the Relto, I think you're a little too hard on Cyan. Yeesha doesn't follow the rules of the Guild of Writers, therefore she can do pretty much whatever she wants. Considering the power of the Bahro, making it rain on command shouldn't be that big of a deal. The mystique of the books is, IMHO, limited to the D'ni Writers, and is not indicative of Yahvo's true intention, or the Great Tree.

#5 User is offline   Veovis17 

• choortahn (learner)

Posted 30 March 2013 - 02:21 PM

View PostMike44njdevils, on 19 March 2013 - 01:21 PM, said:

As for Gereesha (sp) I don't think it was that bad. Normally the worst thing that happens is you have to wait for the fortress #1 ramp to come around again. I think it's in one of the notebooks that there is a vague explanation of how that middle pillar has been eroded over time.

The only problem is that my computer lags a lot and glitches me through the floor of the pillar. And because it is so slow, it takes forever to link back and forth. :mad:

#6 User is offline   Veovis17 

• choortahn (learner)

Posted 06 April 2013 - 07:26 PM

just some more things. I feel as though there was a lack of logic in this game. The kadish puzzles seemed to overcompensate for the lack of thinking puzzles, yet they were solved my looking at walkthroughs(really, who solved kadish without help?). In myst there were subtle hints as to what to do in journals, pictures, and just your own common sense. I mean, who would think to take the route in the darkness in the moon room in kadish? who would think to walk on the tree symbols in the pyramid on kadish? and i really had no trouble with the fireflies puzzle on gira. also, where do the fireflies go after you get rain on relto?

#7 User is offline   aander91 

• Forum game like its 2008
  • Group: Veteran Member
  • KI number:00087015

Posted 09 April 2013 - 03:06 PM

Kadish ruled. I was generally not liking the game until I ran Kadish, and that end puzzle totally made it for me.

I ranted about this game a while back too, my biggest gripe is how they had two conflicting but admiral goals: make vast environments that feel grand and experience the world in 3rd person. Walking for 3 minutes in a straight line is just simply not fun, sorry.

They did strike gold a few times with the expansions though, PotS has some clever puzzles that wouldn't be possible without 3rd person movement.

#8 User is offline   A'Reandal 

• oglahnth (ancient one)
  • Group: Moderator

Posted 10 April 2013 - 12:34 PM

3rd person movement, eh? That reminds me . . .

One gripe I had was probably due to my lack of playing “modern” games and the experience that comes with it. I never developed the habits of jumping, kicking, and other 3-D movements.

I got stuck in Teledahn at the drawbridge that wouldn’t go down when you pull the lever. The last thing I expected from a Myst game was to use violent brute force and kick a bridge just because it was stuck. :bored: I spent hours running around looking for the secret button, chain, magic wand, pixy dust, or something that would release a catch (like the stop lever on the Riven telescope) and allow the bridge lever to lower the bridge. This puzzle certainly wasn’t mind over matter. POW!

After I gave up for the night I remember seeing a commercial about a martial arts console game and thought, that’s what I’ll do: Kick it! It won’t do any good but I might feel better. Um. Yeah. After what happened in some of the bad Exile endings I suppose I should have thought of the answer.

I have other annoyances but that one is funnier than others.

#9 User is offline   Shinkansen 

• Friendly Forum Curmudgeon
  • Group: Veteran Member
  • KI number:00759215

Posted 16 April 2013 - 05:57 PM

A lot of your "rant" is completely justified.

I think many of the problems with URU is the difference in game design between it (3rd person 3D) and previous Myst games (1st person pre-rendered). Although there were time-based puzzles in previous games, (such as the Channelwood tree in Myst), they were fairly easy to deal with. Timed puzzles combined with a less-than-ideal 3rd person perspective and clunky controls, however, made for several unenjoyable moments in URU.

Additionally, many of the canon-breaking things in URU result from the restraints of the genre. How do you deal with being able to go anywhere you want with your own personal Linking Book? Certain concessions had to be made to make the gameplay less frustrating.

They did get better with the sequels, though who thought that waiting around for 15+ minuets was a good design choice?

#10 User is offline   Lostthyme 

• Quab Wrangler
  • KI number:00280695

Posted 17 April 2013 - 12:18 PM

View PostShinkansen, on 16 April 2013 - 05:57 PM, said:

...who thought that waiting around for 15+ minutes was a good design choice?

I actually quit the game for a while when the guide I was reading said I was going to have to do that. Standing in one place for that long is more along the lines of a crazy thing you do to get an easter egg, not to progress the game itself.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1

Fast Reply

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users