Posted 09 April 2013 - 04:41 PM

Title says it all. Does it exist?

#2 User is offline   Johnraka 

• Rivenworld Creator
  • Group: Veteran Member

Posted 11 April 2013 - 03:39 AM

View PostVeovis17, on 09 April 2013 - 04:41 PM, said:

Title says it all. Does it exist?

Sadly no, I was looking for this when I got my Android Tablet.

Seems Cyan are gearing everything towards the I-Phone/I-Pad.

#3 User is offline   Capella 

• Team Marbelous
  • Group: Admin

Posted 11 April 2013 - 07:05 AM

I'm going tore-quote myself from a few months ago to explain why that's the case. It's not about preferencing one OS, it's about what Cyan can realistically afford to do on their budget.

With iOS devices, you generally only have 2 (now 3, I guess) screen sizes to worry about; phone size and tablet size. And you can always assume that most people will be on the most recent OS or one OS back, and you can have a solid grasp on what hardware your app will be running on. But with Android, there's a great level of fragmentation on both the hardware side and the software side, which means things aren't that simple. Software-wise, there are still devices running the 2.0 and 3.0 versions of the OS, so you have to figure out how far back you want to be compatible (or even CAN be compatible). And hardware-wise you don't have the same predictability either - for example, many of the free-on-contract devices have underpowered processors and awful resolutions. Do you want to build your game only for top-end phones? Because then that will shut your game out from a massive quantity of devices. Also, people with Android devices tend to actually spend less on purchasing apps. So when you have to consider all of those factors, it often becomes easier to develop for iOS instead; less variables to work with, easier to get on many devices and in many hands, and you have a chance of actually getting paid.

#4 User is offline   Johnraka 

• Rivenworld Creator

Posted 11 April 2013 - 08:25 AM

View PostCapella, on 11 April 2013 - 07:05 AM, said:

I'm going tore-quote myself from a few months ago to explain why that's the case. It's not about preferencing one OS, it's about what Cyan can realistically afford to do on their budget.

With iOS devices, you generally only have 2 (now 3, I guess) screen sizes to worry about; phone size and tablet size. And you can always assume that most people will be on the most recent OS or one OS back, and you can have a solid grasp on what hardware your app will be running on. But with Android, there's a great level of fragmentation on both the hardware side and the software side, which means things aren't that simple. Software-wise, there are still devices running the 2.0 and 3.0 versions of the OS, so you have to figure out how far back you want to be compatible (or even CAN be compatible). And hardware-wise you don't have the same predictability either - for example, many of the free-on-contract devices have underpowered processors and awful resolutions. Do you want to build your game only for top-end phones? Because then that will shut your game out from a massive quantity of devices. Also, people with Android devices tend to actually spend less on purchasing apps. So when you have to consider all of those factors, it often becomes easier to develop for iOS instead; less variables to work with, easier to get on many devices and in many hands, and you have a chance of actually getting paid.

Thanks Capella, says it all perfectly - could not remember where your thread was (getting old now, memory isn't what it was).

#5 User is offline   BCWilson 

• rehlyihmah (the unseen)
  • Group: Member

Posted 22 January 2014 - 12:57 PM

View PostJohnraka, on 11 April 2013 - 08:25 AM, said:

View PostCapella, on 11 April 2013 - 07:05 AM, said:

Thanks Capella, says it all perfectly - could not remember where your thread was (getting old now, memory isn't what it was).

Since the above was posted a lot has changed. "Older" versions of Android now make up less than 23% of Android's market. Those "old Android OS devices" are shrinking rapidly in number, as is the potential for fragmentation (since Android 4.x and later is designed to decrease the fragmentation). The hardware is becoming more powerful with dual and quad processors and increasing amounts of memory and storage. More powerful graphic capabilities (and other features) are also making "screen size support" an irrelevant issue as run-time rendering and bitmap management are now dealing effectively with both. Other companies are already development such software on Android, demonstrating that the platform is fully capable of performing these tasks. I don't think it's fair to say "here's why there is no Android version of Myst" (an extremely popular game with a cult-like following still today). It should be said "there is no Android version of Myst YET". Since Android is growing so fast into such a widely used global platform, it would be strange to assume that Cyan will never support software on Android. That would be like saying, in 1986, that a company would not support software on Microsoft Windows for similar reasons.

#6 User is offline   aander91 

• Forum game like its 2008
  • KI number:00087015

Posted 25 January 2014 - 12:34 AM

ScummVM can run it. I've managed to get Myst and Riven running on a Droid X. It was verrrrry picky and quite the hassle, but I definitely got it to work a few years back.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1

Fast Reply

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users