MYSTcommunity: what does linking feel like? - MYSTcommunity

Page 1 of 1

what does linking feel like? possible spoilers

#1 User is offline   Veovis17 

• choortahn (learner)
  • Group: Member

Posted 11 April 2013 - 01:44 PM

So, how would it feel? In exile, when someone links, their body sort of disappears from toe to head to hand. I assume it would feel like being pulled through a black hole

#2 User is offline   Talashar 

• oglahneth (ancient one)
  • Group: Team Member
  • KI number:00183867

Posted 11 April 2013 - 06:25 PM

The Book of Atrus describes it like this:

Atrus felt the skin on his palm tingle as though a faint electrical current had passed through it. His hand seemed drawn to the image on the page, attracted to it. For a moment, that was all. Then, with a sudden, sickening lurch, he felt himself sucked into the page. Or rather, it was as if the page grew suddenly huge, enveloping him in the weave of its fibers. At that same instant he felt a curious shifting sensation. It felt as though he were melting, the fragile shell of him imploding, collapsing back in upon himself, and then the blackness seeped through.

And as he finally surrendered to that blackness, so he found himself back in his body [...]

Which sounds pretty dramatic, though it's possible that the body acclimates to the process after repeated linking.

#3 User is offline   Lostthyme 

• Quab Wrangler
  • Group: Team Member
  • KI number:00280695

Posted 12 April 2013 - 12:57 AM

I imagine it as a tickling feeling, kind of like the feeling you get when you sit on your leg the wrong way. It starts slowly, intensifies as you link, then fades about a minutes after you arrive. Not very pleasant, but not nearly as traumatizing as it was described in the book.

#4 User is offline   Shinkansen 

• Friendly Forum Curmudgeon
  • Group: Veteran Member
  • KI number:00759215

Posted 16 April 2013 - 04:39 PM

Someone actually made a short video showing what Linking might actually look like by taking clips from the realMYST trailer. I can't remember where it was, but it was basically looks like you're falling through the Gateway Image into the Age you're Linking to.

One thing I wonder about is how uncomfortable Linking from high to low pressure areas is. For example, if I were to Link from the Cavern (which I assume has fairly high atmospheric pressure) to an Age where the Linking spot is high in the mountains, I've gone instantly from high to low pressure. I'd probably be quite dizzy for a while. Also, I would imagine that the D'ni have to deal with their ears popping every time they Link.

View PostLostthyme, on 12 April 2013 - 12:57 AM, said:

I imagine it as a tickling feeling, kind of like the feeling you get when you sit on your leg the wrong way. It starts slowly, intensifies as you link, then fades about a minutes after you arrive. Not very pleasant, but not nearly as traumatizing as it was described in the book.

I would guess that first-time Linking would be pretty traumatic, especially for Atrus who reached adulthood without ever Linking. I would guess that the D'ni would start Linking from an early age (especially those in upper-class families) and would be used to it fairly early on.
Sort of like how people who don't fly very often are more prone to air sickness or fear of flying compared to those who fly every week.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1

Fast Reply

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users