MYSTcommunity: D'ni Grammar - MYSTcommunity

Page 1 of 1

D'ni Grammar

#1 User is offline   Talashar 

• oglahneth (ancient one)
  • Group: Team Member
  • KI number:00183867

Posted 16 April 2013 - 06:00 AM

I've put together a couple blog posts that may be of interest to D'ni enthusiasts.

The first is a sketch of what we know about D'ni phonology and grammar. It is pretty technical, and somewhat brief: I may flesh it out more at some point in the future.

The second is a list of the D'ni names that appear in the games and novels.

Corrections and comments are welcome. Would there be any interest in a more layman-oriented grammar that goes through and explains technical concepts in more detail?

#2 User is offline   Capella 

• Team Marbelous
  • Group: Admin

Posted 16 April 2013 - 05:58 PM

View PostTalashar, on 16 April 2013 - 06:00 AM, said:

Would there be any interest in a more layman-oriented grammar that goes through and explains technical concepts in more detail?

Absolutely. It's been a few years since any formal linguistics work I've done; a more layman overview would be good.

#3 User is offline   Shinkansen 

• Friendly Forum Curmudgeon
  • Group: Veteran Member
  • KI number:00759215

Posted 16 April 2013 - 06:12 PM

Nice, and informative!. Interesting that D'ni doesn't have a distinction between formal and informal pronouns. You'd think a traditional and stratified society as D'ni would have those.

For the D'ni personal names, could you point out whether they're male or female? I'm pretty sure 90% are male (there is an unreasonable dearth of female D'ni names), but it'd be nice to know which are which.

Also, it's not in the "language and history" resources sticky, but I've found a rather nice D'ni glossary which contains basically all the D'ni words we know.

#4 User is offline   Talashar 

• oglahneth (ancient one)
  • Group: Team Member
  • KI number:00183867

Posted 16 April 2013 - 08:32 PM

View PostShinkansen, on 16 April 2013 - 06:12 PM, said:

Nice, and informative!. Interesting that D'ni doesn't have a distinction between formal and informal pronouns. You'd think a traditional and stratified society as D'ni would have those.

If D'ni did make such a distinction, I don't know if we could tell it from the known texts, which don't involve a lot of cross-status conversations. Or maybe the egalitarian ideals of D'ni's founding persisted in the (very conservative) language, even if not in the society.

For the D'ni personal names, could you point out whether they're male or female? I'm pretty sure 90% are male (there is an unreasonable dearth of female D'ni names), but it'd be nice to know which are which.

That's a good idea. I'll do that, and distinguish place names and Terahnee names as well.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1

Fast Reply

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users