MYSTcommunity: Let's talk about that awesome credits medley. - MYSTcommunity

Page 1 of 1

Let's talk about that awesome credits medley.

#1 User is offline   Bastiko Pradhana 

• claims not to be Pikachu
  • Group: Team Member

Posted 25 April 2013 - 07:23 AM

Does anyone else find the credits medley that plays at the good ending interesting? I do, enough for me to save it as a separate track.

What does anyone else think of the piece?

#2 User is offline   Capella 

• Team Marbelous
  • Group: Admin

Posted 25 April 2013 - 08:45 AM

Myst V's music in general is really well done. Laki'ahn's themes are utterly perfect for the scenery and mood. I think Larkin is often dismissed at the worst composer, and I think it's a shame.

#3 User is offline   Johnraka 

• Rivenworld Creator
  • Group: Veteran Member

Posted 25 April 2013 - 09:16 AM

View PostCapella, on 25 April 2013 - 08:45 AM, said:

Myst V's music in general is really well done. Laki'ahn's themes are utterly perfect for the scenery and mood. I think Larkin is often dismissed at the worst composer, and I think it's a shame.

Yeh, not sure why, as you say his music matches the scene and mood, didn't he do some work on Riven as well?
I know he has been on the Cyan team for some time.

#4 User is offline   Lostthyme 

• Quab Wrangler
  • KI number:00280695

Posted 25 April 2013 - 05:30 PM

This is the song being discussed, correct?

Admittedly, I wasn't a big fan of the EoA soundtrack originally. It didn't have the nostalgia that the first two did or the cinematic quality of the third and fourth. Still, I have to say that it's grown on me over the years.

#5 User is offline   Shinkansen 

• Friendly Forum Curmudgeon
  • KI number:00759215

Posted 25 April 2013 - 07:45 PM

I find it interesting that there are snippets of Gehn's theme in there (about 3 and a half minuets in).

Larkin's Myst music (URU and Myst V, I believe) are interesting. I like the music, but it is quite different from Robyn Miller's (Myst & Riven) or Jack Wall's (Myst III & IV).
Miller's music, especially Riven's soundtrack, is very ambient. Myst is less so, but it's still quite minimalist, mostly because it was just him and his composing studio. Jack Wall got to use an orchestra, and so Myst III and IV have much more thematic, much more cinematic scores.

Larkin's music is sort of in-between. It's not orchestral, but it's not minimalist ambient music either. There is also quite a bit of Middle-Eastern (?) influence, much more than in previous games. Still, like all of the Myst music (save perhaps the Myst III bonus track) I like Larkin's music quite a bit, especially the Gallery Theme from URU.

Also, Jack Wall's official website is officially the most terrifying official website ever.

Also also, Jack Wall also apparently did the music for the Mass Effect series. Interesting.

#6 User is offline   Lostthyme 

• Quab Wrangler
  • KI number:00280695

Posted 26 April 2013 - 01:43 AM

View PostShinkansen, on 25 April 2013 - 07:45 PM, said:

Also, Jack Wall's official website is officially the most terrifying official website ever.

I jumped and yelled "OH GOD" when that website loaded up. I should have believed you.

#7 User is offline   Johnraka 

• Rivenworld Creator

Posted 26 April 2013 - 03:17 AM

View PostLostthyme, on 26 April 2013 - 01:43 AM, said:

View PostShinkansen, on 25 April 2013 - 07:45 PM, said:

I jumped and yelled "OH GOD" when that website loaded up. I should have believed you.

Jeez! You were not kidding were you, I almost jumped back out of my seat!
Its a bit up close and personal isn't it?

#8 User is offline   MicroProcessor 

• glotahn (beginner)
  • Group: Member

Posted 06 May 2013 - 11:38 PM

I used to not really like Myst V's music, but it was really just a few specific tracks now that I think about it. Also probably because of the overall disappointment I had of Myst V in comparison to IV.

Stylistically Tim Larkin's stuff is definitely my favorite at this point since it's very electronic ambient stuff that I like except I feel a lot more thoroughly composed than Robyn's stuff. Also I'm a fan of a lot of the kinds of samples he used, and his awesome production skills.

Unfortunately, it was nowhere near as genius of integrated into the game like Jack Wall's stuff was for Exile and Revelation.

I'd say in context of the games, Myst III-IV had my favorite music just because of how complexly directly integrated the music all was with the gameplay dynamically depending on what you were doing. Outside of the context of the game though, Myst V and Uru are my favorites!

Thinking about it, that's probably actually a really weird way to feel since most people people would probably find more ambient stuff to be harder to listen to out of context than orchestral stuff with lots of faster-paced music.

Larkin's stuff did work great in context for setting tones though, I just wish they were more dynamic and influenced by what the player doing as directly as Jack Wall's soundtracks!

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1

Fast Reply

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users