MYSTcommunity: What does Myst sound like? - MYSTcommunity

Page 1 of 1

What does Myst sound like? Musically that is...

#1 User is offline   aander91 

• Forum game like its 2008
  • Group: Veteran Member
  • KI number:00087015

Posted 04 September 2013 - 01:03 AM

I just finished writing my first album, Might of the Frozen Wastes, and I really like writing music based on how I perceive environments/tones/experiences in really immersive video games, so I think Myst is going to be the focal point of my next album. Which brings me to my original question.

What does Myst sound like to you? What are instruments and voices that immediately remind you of Myst? If you know any theory, then what intervals and chords define the Myst experience for you?

Show me unrelated songs that remind you of Myst, songs that define your experience (or songs that stuck out and felt out of place), or anything else.

I think the general tone and feel will be mostly based on Myst and D'ni. My preferred style is full sounding Atmospheric/Symphonic Black Metal with emphasis on grandiose melodies, but I want to go for a more mysterious style which describes the downfall of the civilization in the primary tracks with a few interludes which focus more on the beauty and infinite power of the art.

Compared to my work with Angrathar, this will be much more reserved: no thrashy riffs, no half-step happy spook fest phrases, no blast filled breaks. Mystery and a longing for beautiful worlds forever gone are the main themes that I am going for here.

So have at it.

#2 User is offline   MicroProcessor 

• glotahn (beginner)
  • Group: Member

Posted 10 September 2013 - 12:11 AM

Hmm, well here's something that's actually related to your preferred styles somewhat I think that I associate with mysterious environments: Lifting Shadows off a Dream by Dream Theater (https://www.youtube....h?v=jeBsX1Z2-6o), at least about the first minute and 20 seconds I'd say decently fits.

In general though I think of stuff a bit different from that example. I tend to associate Myst-like stuff as being more focused on slow synth pads and other weird sounds that are generally not associated with any specific musical instrument (even if produced by one, a good example is the metal creaky sound of bowed cymbals, which seemed to get used a lot in Exile!). I'm a huge music theory nerd so I could go into a lot of more specific detail about the composition aspect too, maybe I'll do that tomorrow when I don't have to sleep.

#3 User is offline   aander91 

• Forum game like its 2008
  • KI number:00087015

Posted 12 September 2013 - 07:32 PM

Ooooh, I'd never considered that song being reminiscent of Myst, but now that you mention it, I can definitely see it. So Minor 5ths to Major 4ths, slow pads, delay/reverb.

#4 User is offline   Yali 

• glotahn (beginner)
  • Location:The home of poutine, Jack Frost, and Myst IV Revelation

Posted 18 December 2013 - 05:09 PM

Lots of ostinatos and unsettling sonic effects, like the tumbling bell sound used so frequently in Riven.

I consider King Crimson to have the most Myst like feel of any rock band. Especially their early stuff like In the Court of the Crimson King or Islands/Lizard. I always thought the Sailor's Tale (off of Islands) reminded me of Myst .

#5 User is offline   desiderio59 

• rov nee (new person)
  • Group: Member

Posted 26 December 2013 - 03:07 PM

Some of the first few Silent Hill games have really somber, ambient music.
White Noiz
A World of Madness

I like Boards of Canada a lot. They have instrumental, ambient music. Here are some of my favorites:
Skyliner
Oscar See Through Red Eye
Alpha and Omega

This song from the game Shivers is really nice.
Planetarium

#6 User is offline   Yali 

• glotahn (beginner)
  • Location:The home of poutine, Jack Frost, and Myst IV Revelation

Posted 18 January 2014 - 09:18 PM

THIS!

https://www.youtube....h?v=eKXQPblSiKA

I now want to use this soundtrack as sfx replacers in Uru. :D

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1

Fast Reply