MYSTcommunity: Obduction - MYSTcommunity

• 3 Pages +

Obduction the thread

#1 User is offline   Topher Bear 

• shokhootahn (instructor)
  • Group: Veteran Member
  • KI number:06868707

Posted 18 October 2013 - 01:27 AM

Come on in guys, I've swept the floor cleared out the cobwebs, changed the bulbs. It's been a while since we've used this place and now we have a darn good reason to experience an old un used part of the forum:)

To be honest, Obduction looks like just another Myst clone to me: Obduction, a Myst clone by the makers of Myst. Sounds good to me :)

#2 User is offline   Johnraka 

• Rivenworld Creator

Posted 18 October 2013 - 02:31 AM

Already pledged, understand they have reached the $200k mark - wow!
Looking forward to this.

#3 User is offline   grover 

• glotahn (beginner)
  • Group: Member

Posted 20 October 2013 - 05:07 AM

Pledged too, and translated the whole KS Page for French speaking peoples.

#4 User is offline   Topher Bear 

Posted 21 October 2013 - 08:42 AM

I have just been reading up to find out what all this drm business is all about. How do you think the drm will effect the digital download of the game? Will it require a connection each time I play? Will it limit the number of installs I can have? These things concern me as I worry that in years to come I may lose the ability to play the game which will a a problem if it is as good as Myst et al.

I would much prefer a physical box but there is no way I can afford the $75 + $15 required. I would rather forgo all the rest of the stuff and just have a physical game.

If drm will hamper me I can't pledge!

#5 User is offline   belford 

• rov nee (new person)

Posted 23 October 2013 - 01:21 PM

The FAQ says: "The physical boxed game will be DRM-free, but the digital downloads will depend on the distributors." That's all we know.

You can reasonably guess that it will be available on Steam, and Steam's download model is well-known. Beyond that, it's more guessing.

If this is a fatal problem for you, don't pledge -- wait and buy the retail version when it ships.

#6 User is offline   Shinkansen 

• Friendly Forum Curmudgeon
  • KI number:00759215

Posted 23 October 2013 - 03:39 PM

View PostTopher Bear, on 21 October 2013 - 08:42 AM, said:

I have just been reading up to find out what all this drm business is all about. How do you think the drm will effect the digital download of the game? Will it require a connection each time I play? Will it limit the number of installs I can have? These things concern me as I worry that in years to come I may lose the ability to play the game which will a a problem if it is as good as Myst et al.

I would much prefer a physical box but there is no way I can afford the $75 + $15 required. I would rather forgo all the rest of the stuff and just have a physical game.

If drm will hamper me I can't pledge!

You could always pledge a smaller amount (under $10) and then buy a physical copy when (if) the game comes out.

Though like belford said, it's pretty much guaranteed that the game will be available on Steam, and Steam is generally pretty good about DRM, usually leaving it up to the publisher as to how much restriction there is on the player's actions.
Here's how someone explained it on the Steam forums:

As I understand it, there are theoretically three (ish) different modes of Steam DRM.

1. Steam DRM.
2. No DRM, Steam is just a download and update service.
3a. No Steam DRM, publisher adds their own DRM.
3b. Steam DRM, publisher still adds their own DRM as well.

Case (1) is what people think of when they think of Steam. Whenever you launch the game it'll load up Steam first, which will check your license, either over the internet, or with a local copy of your license if you're in offline mode before launching the game. As for why people don't like this? Two things; it's still DRM, even if they're generous about letting your run your games from any machine, and being able to be offline as long as you like. Second is that historically offline mode has been very unreliable, if your local copy of the licenses has a problem Steam will demand to phone home, and will not let you do anything else with it or any game via Steam until you can let it do so. Since there was a long-standing bug where Steam itself that trashed the local licenses in a common case that only got fixed at the end of last year, and despite that one being fixed at least some people still have trouble with it, most people have taken 'offline as long as you like' to mean 'offline for some random length of time, that might be zero'.

Case (2) is actually seems to be fairly common but is extremely well hidden and only rarely advertised, this is what Paradox games do intentionally, and what Skyrim did before they 'fixed' it. In this case everything looks like it's the same as (1) and indeed it is if you launch the game through the Steam app, or from a desktop icon created by Steam. However if you go to the actual location of the game on your filesystem and launch it directly, or set up your own icon to launch it that doesn't use Steam command line, or copy that folder somewhere else that steam doesn't know about and then launch it from there, everything will just work without even touching the Steam app or the Steam servers. It only takes a slight amount of paranoia to have the suspicion it's done this way to make DRM look like the normal state of the world.

Everybody hates case (3), due to non-Steam DRM generally, and quite incredibly, being even shittier and more unreliable than Steam-DRM (Game for Windows Live being the poster boy for this) and the whole redundancy of the double DRM thing. What I'm not sure about is whether when they do that, its technically (3a) or (3b) as I don't buy games on Steam where I know they've done this.

Lastly, note that there are reasons to dislike Steam that are not directly about the DRM, such as the store terms and conditions, yet another application sitting there all the time ready to send who knows what back to it's masters over the internet, it's market dominance, and so on.

TL;DR: Steam DRM is still DRM, its historically been buggy in offline mode, when the dev or publisher has chosen to go DRM free that fact is hidden from you, some publishers still add yet another layer of their own DRM on top.

Anyway, in other news the funding has reached 50% (51.37% to be exact).
Also, the local NBC station did a short piece about Obduction and interviewed Rand Miller.

#7 User is offline   Capella 

• Team Marbelous
  • Group: Admin

Posted 24 October 2013 - 05:01 AM

View PostShinkansen, on 23 October 2013 - 03:39 PM, said:

You could always pledge a smaller amount (under $10) and then buy a physical copy when (if) the game comes out.

I saw that the boxed version is only going to be available via the Kickstarter. I don't know if that means no physical copies at all when the game ships or if that's a special box?

#8 User is offline   033031056 

• lontahn (discoverer)

Posted 25 October 2013 - 08:39 AM

Hi All,

It's interesting that we.....as Myst fans.....are debating whether to pledge or not !

Surely guys......after waiting for YEARS for news like this.......we should be getting our hands in our pockets and getting our pledges in NOW.

Think of all the great times these games have given us...... all the adventures we have been on..... walking of the shores of alien worlds and exploring wonders we'd never dreamt of.

Cyan deserve our unreserved support with this !

If we don't pledge then there will be no game and that will be the end of things !!!!!

Get yer money out and support the thing we are supposed to love

:)

#9 User is offline   Topher Bear 

Posted 25 October 2013 - 08:45 AM

Thanks for the info. I now see that they have made the physical box available alone as an add on. So I can pledge a dollar and then add another 60. That's still £40 for a game I know very little about. Still I have a little while to decide, see if I can sell something else to afford it.

In other news this morning the daily total was at minus 6000. Has the person who pledged 10k pulled out. What's that about?

To me it is looking very dicey that they will actually get enough. The daily rate is ramping down quite quickly.

#10 User is offline   Johnraka 

• Rivenworld Creator

Posted 25 October 2013 - 02:43 PM

I think it is only to be expected that the pledges will drop off after a few days, needless to say the announcement will have people reaching for their wallets at the start but eventually the pledges will slow down dramatically. What will probably happen now is that the pledges will just drift in until the final day.

Will they make their target? Possibly, but if they don't then at least they will have made a sterling effort.

Given how much enjoyment Cyan has given us over the years I am willing to go on a little faith and trust them to give us something worth waiting for.

The fact that a small company like Cyan has survived in the cut-throat fickle gaming world for over 20 years is not only astonishing but a testament to them and their creativity, if I had the odd million sitting around doing nothing I would have no hesitation in throwing it at them (sadly I haven't), I believe in them that much.

Just my opinion...

#11 User is offline   A'Reandal 

• oglahnth (ancient one)
  • Group: Moderator

Posted 25 October 2013 - 07:21 PM

Well said, Johnraka and 033031056! Well said!

Topher Bear, your willingness and enthusiasm is admerable. Do what you can if only saving pennies or just supporting the effort with encouragement. There is still time to help make this happen.

Backers
$598,097
pledged of $1,100,000 goal
days to go

#12 User is offline   Bastiko Pradhana 

• claims not to be Pikachu
  • Group: Team Member

Posted 25 October 2013 - 09:25 PM

I really want to pledge but I have absolutely no connections to get my money out there. So all I can do is to sit on the sidelines with encouragement.

#13 User is offline   033031056 

• lontahn (discoverer)

Posted 04 November 2013 - 08:09 AM

Ok then guys,

The end date for Obduction is fast approaching and the donations are starting to slow down.

I know a lot of us have pledged as much as we are able to..........but if any of us have been hanging off for any reason.........now is the time to stand up for Cyan and make your donation.

Even if it's just a dollar then that's great !

There is no time like the present and the days could easily slip by and you'll miss the window to make your donation !

And remember......if the 1.1 million dollars isn't reached then no one will have to pay a penny.

Let's make this happen folks.....please x

#14 User is offline   aander91 

• Forum game like its 2008
  • KI number:00087015

Posted 04 November 2013 - 12:59 PM

Came across this site in the backer comments.

Seems hopeful. I was just able to buy in today, hopefully others are in a similar situation.

--Update--

Holy crap. This is happening:

Project Update #15: New Reward Tier!
Posted by Cyan, Inc. ♥ Like
Hey, everyone. We've got some exciting news! We’re adding a new reward tier.

$1100 - "Become the Strata 3D Artist“

As you might know, the images in the original Myst were created using Strata 3D Software. As a special offer, our friends at Strata have generously offered to support the Obduction Kickstarter campaign by providing a special Myst version of their Strata Design 3D CX software ($600 value) to backers at this new, special reward level or above. You’ll use Design 3D CX to design, model, and texture an (appropriate) item for Obduction! Just like in the “Become the Artist” level, your object will have a chance to be seen by anyone playing Obduction, and your name will also be in the "Additional Design" section of the credits.

This special Myst version of Design 3D also includes some of the surface textures and digital 3D objects from the original Myst models. The textures can be used in your own models, and you can open the 3D objects to see how they were created, change them, and even re-render them with different lighting or from different angles.

And that’s not all! You’ll also receive 5 exclusive hi-res digital images (one image from each main Age in Myst) rendered from the original Myst models. These are scenes you'll recognize, but at the highest resolution possible and never before released.

And you’ll also receive all of the rewards from the $250 level and down.

Special thanks to Strata for graciously helping to make this new reward tier a reality.

#15 User is offline   Talashar 

• oglahneth (ancient one)
  • KI number:00183867

Posted 07 November 2013 - 06:29 AM

Rand and Robyn are going to be playing characters in Obduction! :gosh:

#16 User is offline   Shinkansen 

Posted 07 November 2013 - 11:31 AM

This is worse than watching the Tour de France:
Posted Image
It does seem to be picking up a bit, though. Last Monday the upper estimation was around $950,000 and the lower at $700,000, so that's good.

Also, there was an update a couple days ago about distribution and DRM. I'll post it here for posterity's sake:

Steam Greenlight

We want Obduction to be distributed through Steam. As the first step in that direction, we have officially submitted the Obduction concept to Steam Greenlight. Greenlight is not just about getting Obduction approved on Steam, but it also helps more people find out about Obduction. But we need your help with this. To get the word out and show your support, head over to Greenlight and rate or favorite Obduction.

Link to Steam Greenlight
GOG & Humble Bundle

We’re working with our friends at GOG for digital distribution of Obduction, and we’re pleased to announce that we’ve got a relationship with Humble Bundle as well. Check them out if you haven't used them before.
DRM-free

Some of you have asked if there will be a DRM-free digital download option for Obduction. We are happy to confirm officially that we will have a DRM-free digital download option you'll be able to select.

Also also, from me not being overly familiar with how Kickstarter works, what happens if at the end day 31 they're under the goal by a small amount, say $8,000 or so? Could they extend it one more day (given it's been averaging about $12,000 a day for the past week), or is that it: we're closed, we didn't make it, sorry go home now?

#17 User is offline   luna 

• meh
  • KI number:141809

Posted 08 November 2013 - 05:18 AM

View PostShinkansen, on 07 November 2013 - 11:31 AM, said:

Also also, from me not being overly familiar with how Kickstarter works, what happens if at the end day 31 they're under the goal by a small amount, say $8,000 or so? Could they extend it one more day (given it's been averaging about $12,000 a day for the past week), or is that it: we're closed, we didn't make it, sorry go home now?

If they don't get it, they don't get it afaik. Even if they're only a little bit short.

#18 User is offline   Johnraka 

• Rivenworld Creator

Posted 08 November 2013 - 05:48 PM

$854,000 as at 23:47 GMT, not too far to go now...

#19 User is offline   Shinkansen 

Posted 09 November 2013 - 05:32 PM

View PostJohnraka, on 08 November 2013 - 05:48 PM, said:

$854,000 as at 23:47 GMT, not too far to go now...

$883,415 at Nov 09 23:30 GMT.

Definitely picking up since last week, though I'm giving them 40-60 odds against for them to succeed.

EDIT: Apparently there has been research into the probability of getting a kickstarter fully funded based on total amount needed. So if you have a project of more than $100K and you're 80% funded, you have a 80% chance of reaching your goal. So I'm just being a pessimist.

Here's a link to the article I read if you're interested.

This post has been edited by Shinkansen: 09 November 2013 - 07:47 PM

#20 User is offline   belford 

• rov nee (new person)

Posted 10 November 2013 - 12:38 PM

Note, however, that that article is over a year old. And at the time that was written (mid-2012) there had been *no* successful projects with a goal of a million dollars.

(There have been a few since then.)

#21 User is offline   Johnraka 

• Rivenworld Creator

Posted 11 November 2013 - 05:36 PM

Just added another $5 to my pledge - not a lot I know but every little helps, and if we all added a few more dollars... well, who knows what the effect would be eh? Posted Image

#22 User is offline   Shinkansen 

Posted 12 November 2013 - 07:01 PM

Well, just passed $1,000,000. :)

#23 User is offline   A'Reandal 

• oglahnth (ancient one)

Posted 13 November 2013 - 12:37 PM

It's going up FAST!!

Did I miss a day or did the pledges go up $120,000 in one day? (Or two?)
Anyway, I smell success!

backers

$1,093,007

hours to go

#24 User is offline   Shinkansen 

Posted 13 November 2013 - 01:05 PM

Well, it's now just past $1.1 million ($1,102,198 to be exact).

Let's see how many of those stretch goals we can get in the last 67 hours.

#25 User is offline   A'Reandal 

• oglahnth (ancient one)

Posted 13 November 2013 - 02:10 PM

Aw. I was in a meeting and couldn't stare at the KS to see the exact moment it hit 1.1M.

Now I have another meeting. :bored:

Oh, well. WE MADE IT!! :D

As of now...
backers

$1,110,547

hours to go

woo hoo! We're in the streeeetch!

Share this topic:

• 3 Pages +

Fast Reply

1 User(s) are reading this topic