MYSTcommunity: Best Of All Myst - MYSTcommunity

Page 1 of 1

Best Of All Myst Rate the aspects of all Myst games

Poll: Which game had...

Best Gameplay/Puzzles

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.

Best Art Style

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.

Best Soundtrack

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 User is offline   Yali 

• glotahn (beginner)
  • Group: Veteran Member
  • Location:The home of poutine, Jack Frost, and Myst IV Revelation

Posted 26 January 2014 - 02:16 PM

...and I can't add the last question, so in your post just write which game had the best story.

#2 User is offline   Johnraka 

• Rivenworld Creator

Posted 26 January 2014 - 05:25 PM

Best story - Riven without a doubt, strong characters, strong plot, everything made sense, puzzles all fitted within the world, the environment was a brilliant backdrop to the story which in turn tied in nicely with the books and the music (although being an ambient soundtrack) fitted perfectly with the environment and the story - very evocative. Cyan's greatest work (in my humble opinion).

#3 User is offline   Yali 

• glotahn (beginner)
  • Location:The home of poutine, Jack Frost, and Myst IV Revelation

Posted 26 January 2014 - 09:45 PM

I voted best gameplay: Riven (duh). Seamless believable world where the puzzles are so intricately woven together and into the story that it approaches the subtlety and elegance of the Sistine Chapel (in gaming terms).

Best art style: This was a hard one as I LOVE the originality and beauty of the Exile ages as well as the haunting/nostalgicism of the original Myst (i.e the fact that Myst's art style very much reflected a sense of loss and memory imbued into 19th Century romanticism. Just look at Stoneship.)

Uru also had an amazing art style that was excentric and original. Myst IV had Haven and Spire which I still rank as some of the best ages in the whole series.

Finally I picked Riven because of how Rich Vander Wende and Robyn made everything look so rich without much pomp. Riven's design is an exercise in subtlety where the littlest detail such as a motif on an object or the side of a chair could be so sumptuous in its roughness and simplicity. Riven is a great exercise in picturesque art, plus they managed to make everything look foreign/D'ni/Rivenese while still remaining believable. That's a feat in and of itself.

Best Soundtrack: Myst. No game soundtrack do I listen to as much as my hard rock/prog rock/punk rock/psychedelic rock collection of albums. Robyn Miller's score is actually really emotive and riff based! There are so many classic tracks that get stuck in my head because of their catchy haunting quality. Selenitic Mystgate/Early Selenitic Mystgate/Above Stoneship/Achenar's Temple/Shipgate/The Last Message (Forechamber Theme) Oh god so good! Even my dad remembers all those tracks and the last time he played Myst was in 1994.

#4 User is offline   aander91 

• Forum game like its 2008
  • KI number:00087015

Posted 28 January 2014 - 08:04 PM

Gameplay/Puzzles:

Riven - Genius design and brilliant execution. Each puzzle is flawless integrated into the world. Easy win.

Myst/Exile - Tied for second. Very satisfying puzzles that are sensible yet alien, although a little too easy at times.

Uru - should be at the bottom for the awful execution of Realtime 3D meets vast cavernous takes-10-minutes-to-get-anywhere gameplay, but some puzzles are very smart and Kadish's vault is easily my all time favorite puzzle.

Revelation - some slightly ham-fisted applications of realistic puzzles, then the infamous dream sequence. Ugh.

EoA - whatever.

Best Art Style:

Everything that isn't Riven - I'm a sucker for shamelessly abstract and obtuse.

Riven - it's brilliant, and I would never bring this up as a complaint, but it's all so wonderfully focused and samey. I just can't give up my dramatically different zones.

Soundtrack:

Revelation - Hands down number one. Serenia's soundtrack is jaw droppingly gorgeous. The main theme still occasionally haunts my dreams and has me waking up in a state in terrible longing. The main theme is powerful and Enter Tomahna and Spire are both legendary. There's a few moments of excessive cheese which breaks the atmosphere for me, but there's too many gems on here for it to not be my top.

Uru/Exile/Rime - Exile would have pulled up front if the Gallery Theme were just a little bit less stunning. The Amateria themes are amazing and the ambient themes are surprisingly enjoyable. I don't care for most of Uru's soundtrack, but there's quite a few on here that leave a lasting impression. Baron's Theme, Spore Me, Library Theme, and the aforementioned Library theme pulls this one up to the upper echelons. Specially shoutout to the Rime theme for being incredibly evocative. realMyst sits up here as well.

Myst - distinctly unique in every way imaginable with some really excellently written pieces. A little too simple at times, but it is certainly effective and memorable, and I wouldn't have it any other way.

Riven - a little too ambient for my tastes. Works perfectly in-game but makes for a mostly boring listening experience in Winamp. However, I really do appreciate how focused and deliberate the tone of this soundtrack is. It's insanely dark when compared to Myst and never lets up. Shoutout to Survey Island.

EoA - I literally don't know any music off of this game. I've played through half of it twice now and I couldn't describe it if I tried.

Story:

Riven - without a doubt. Unrelentingly dark, no cheese whatsoever.

Myst - wonderfully obtuse. Regular cheese, but it complements the absurdity of the concepts.

Exile - some cheese at the end, but an otherwise extremely well delivered story. Driving plot points are a bit of a stretch, but they work well and are reinforced by Brad Dourif's excellent performance.

Revelation - Far too much cheese in an otherwise dark and mysterious story.

Uru - next to no drive behind the plot. You are a person who is a thing and you're looking at stuff. More of a series of museum exhibits than an actual story, and yet it isn't difficult to develop a real connection with the environments and culture.

EoA - still haven't finished it. Esher is weird. Yeesha is uncomfortable.

#5 User is offline   realXCV 

• glotahn (beginner)

Posted 29 January 2014 - 05:13 PM

Gameplay:
Riven because it's the one in which the puzzles are best integrated.

Art:
Revelation except for the transitions between the node and a full frame video which are quite bad. Exile is much better on that thing.

Soundtrack:
Exile followed closely by Revelation.

Story:
Not sure. Probably Uru.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1

Fast Reply

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users