MYSTcommunity: How did the Wahrk get onto Plateau Island? - MYSTcommunity

Page 1 of 1

How did the Wahrk get onto Plateau Island?

#1 User is offline   Johnraka 

• Rivenworld Creator
  • Group: Veteran Member

Posted 19 February 2014 - 04:00 AM

Hmmm, surprising to think that as much as I know about Riven after 16 years I can still find things I hadn't noticed before (like the returning Sunners - see my previous post).

While updating my website (www.rivenworld.com) with a write-up about the Wahrks I realised that there was a question I hadn't considered before...

When you arrive on Plateau Island it is apparent that the lake on the island is above sea level - presumably this lake is self contained and has no connection with the surrounding sea, its level is most obvious when you take the elevator down to the lower level and follow the path to the Wahrk chamber - on your first visit you will see one of Gehn's scribes (played by Tony Fryman) run off down a corridor - follow him and you will see him board a Magalev (Magcar) and drive off - at this point you are still above sea level.
Return to the path (which is on a level) and follow it to the Wahrk chamber and it is now obvious that you are below a water line (i.e. below the lake).

What I am curious about is how did the Wahrk get into the lake in the first place?

There is no connection from the lake to the sea, there is no machinery on the island big enough to lift a Wahrk into the lake (in fact, the lake isn't that big really) and how was it fed? (There being no Wahrk gallows on Plateau Island).

Did Gehn put the Wahrk in when it was a baby?

Curious, anybody know how this came about?

(I am so glad that Riven still has mysteries for me to solve... ;-))

#2 User is offline   Veovis17 

• choortahn (learner)
  • Group: Member

Posted 19 February 2014 - 07:10 AM

Well, the water on riven rises when heated, so maybe the plateau lake IS connected to the sea, and wharks just swim to and fro. or maybe Gehn put it there to scare away scribes who are daring enough to enter his... whatever that room is... Sanctuary? What is that room in the first place? Anyways, maybe it was injured. I mean, we only see one whark. Maybe it is one of the last. Maybe Gehn needs to nurture it because there are almost none left. You never know realy. I am also glad there are still little things in riven to think about. I just marathoned Myst and am part way through riven because I've had to trek through a bunch of different islands.

#3 User is offline   A'Reandal 

• oglahnth (ancient one)
  • Group: Moderator

Posted 06 March 2014 - 01:03 PM

I know this has been discussed before and have spent some time searching for the other thread(s). They were excellent discussions on this topic. Unfortunately I can't find them. :( I guess my search skills stink. hmmm "search skills stink". Try saying that 5 times fast.

Maybe the discussions were buried in different threads as off-topic tangental discussions? Anyway, in the search process I read a ton of old threads and that was a lot of fun! I miss those discussions and especially the people in them.

Back on topic.
I think evidence was presented that the pond was connected to the sea, as was the village lagoon, but I don't remember the details.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1

Fast Reply

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users