• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Feedback on website please...

#1 User is offline   Johnraka 

• Rivenworld Creator
  • Group: Veteran Member

Posted 19 February 2014 - 04:17 PM

Hmmm,

OK, here we go, I am laying myself wide open here to all kinds of criticism but unless I ask I will never know... so...

I have finally finished all the little bits on my site www.rivenworld.com and am now asking for people to just have a quick look and give me some feedback.

I am hoping that the info I have put up is accurate, it is not meant to be an exhaustive guide to Riven, I appreciate that there is a load of information that is missing but it is not meant to be the 'de facto' guide - just my contribution to what I think is still the best adventure game around.

I am not a web designer, this has all been designed using Serif's Webplus so it may not have all the glamour of an Adobe Flash or Dreamweaver site so don't be too critical... please...

There we go, I am throwing myself open to all kinds of criticism and comments, if any info is incorrect please let me know (I don't know everything nor do I profess to), any constructive comments would be appreciated - please bear in mind that the Serif software does have its limitations.

Videos, music and commentary on the site is copyright of the original owner and permission has been given.

Thanks for looking, hope you enjoy what you see, it isn't a full blown professional effort and isn't meant to be... so just, enjoy...Posted Image

#2 User is offline   Veovis17 

• choortahn (learner)
  • Group: Member

Posted 20 February 2014 - 08:04 PM

Honestly, I quite like it. It gives an accurate representation of Riven. I had the volume really high and the sound from the music blasted my eardrums, but i like the music choice. I do wish the background would load quicker though

#3 User is offline   Johnraka 

• Rivenworld Creator

Posted 21 February 2014 - 02:19 AM

View PostVeovis17, on 20 February 2014 - 08:04 PM, said:

Honestly, I quite like it. It gives an accurate representation of Riven. I had the volume really high and the sound from the music blasted my eardrums, but i like the music choice. I do wish the background would load quicker though

Thanks for the feedback Veovis, I know what you mean about the background, it is a big file but I want to retain the quality, still working on that so may improve in the future. Posted Image

#4 User is offline   tbr 

• glotahn (beginner)

Posted 23 February 2014 - 10:27 AM

• The big header cuts off on my 13" screen, so I can only see "Riven Worl".
  • You should make the header link back to the start page, that's a very ubiquitous convention that shouldn't be broken without a very good reason.
  • When you navigate to a page it's impossible to tell where you are. E.g go to this page and there's no way to tell you're on the "creative corner" page. Back in the 90's this type of navigation was quite common, where you'd simply remove the navigation link to the current page. But it's much easier to navigate if the menu has a consistent layout but the current page is visually distinguished with different colors or so. The navigation seems to change order on some pages as well which makes it really hard to get an idea of which pages you've visited and not. A headline on each page would help too of course, as would a more descriptive url than just pagen.html.
  • What is "Extras" supposed to mean? This page basically has all the content, so it doesn't seem like something "extra" to me.
  • There's a bunch of duplicate images, like these two, and also various completely transparent pictures being loaded. (Maybe this is out of your control with a WYSIWYG tool, but that's part of why they're mostly out of use these days...)
  • In general it's not a good idea to have a lot of text in bitmaps. It makes it impossible to copy text, use a screen reader, or for crawlers to index the page. Only a handful of pages has any kind of actual text.
  • I think it's called maglev, not magalev.

I hope I don't sound too harsh - you made something cool and should be proud of it - but I'm just giving you some feedback that popped into my head. Hope it's useful to you. It's awesome that you made something. I think it would be even more awesome if you used some more modern tools (maybe start a tumblr?) so you could focus more on the actual content than various graphic effects.

#5 User is offline   Johnraka 

• Rivenworld Creator

Posted 23 February 2014 - 05:10 PM

Wow, OK, no not too harsh, really appreciate the feedback, both good and bad lol.

Take on board the comment about page navigation - something I will have to look at.

Re: the big header - yes, this has been an issue from day one and I can't seem to find a way around it, years back when I was messing around with Frontpage the webpage seemed to self adjust to whatever screen size was being used, can't get Webplus to do this, in fact if you were to look at the Webplus window (in design mode) then compare it to the actual page in a browser there seems to be a lot of space I am not using but could use but the software will not let me do it - WYSIWYG? not in this instance.

Extras? - Yes, that is how it started out but I have added to it and added to it so yes you are right, that needs to be renamed - will look at that.

Duplicate images - not sure what you mean by that, have looked at the pages (which incidentally do need to have a more meaningful title - will address that as well) but cannot see the duplicates, might be me having a blind spot or something...

Transparent images - yes, I know about that, big problem with Serif software - initially I created the linking book icon then overlaid 3D text on it which was hyperlinked (the text not the image), problem was that when I edited the page all the graphics underneath the text vanished and had to be reloaded, Serif suggested the transparent images as a workaround, I know that Webplus is not really suitable for what I have done here but my 'very' limited skills in webdesign make it my best option - tried Dreamweaver but couldn't even get started with that.

Text in Bitmaps? Did this because I am using the Riven font and it is not native to windows so I wanted to retain the appearance of the font without forcing people to download it.

Really appreciate your comments, will do my best to address some of the issues (some I can, some I don't have the skillset or tools to do), might have to look at better software that is easier for dummies like me to use (Webpages for dummies, that's what I need).
Thanks again.

Posted Image

#6 User is offline   tbr 

• glotahn (beginner)

Posted 24 February 2014 - 03:19 AM

View PostJohnraka, on 23 February 2014 - 05:10 PM, said:

Duplicate images - not sure what you mean by that, have looked at the pages (which incidentally do need to have a more meaningful title - will address that as well) but cannot see the duplicates, might be me having a blind spot or something...

They're different files, but the images are basically identical. That means the site loads slower than it should, since the browser will redownload the "same" image several times. Here are four "Links"-images that look nearly the same but are different files:

wpbc8bc4bc_06.png
wp13952958_06.png
wp01010bd8_06.png
wpc2ca144b_06.png

Transparent images - yes, I know about that, big problem with Serif software - initially I created the linking book icon then overlaid 3D text on it which was hyperlinked (the text not the image), problem was that when I edited the page all the graphics underneath the text vanished and had to be reloaded, Serif suggested the transparent images as a workaround, I know that Webplus is not really suitable for what I have done here but my 'very' limited skills in webdesign make it my best option - tried Dreamweaver but couldn't even get started with that.

You'll have these quality issues with any such tools I'm afraid.

Text in Bitmaps? Did this because I am using the Riven font and it is not native to windows so I wanted to retain the appearance of the font without forcing people to download it.

I understand precisely why you did it, but it's the wrong choice in a time when 89% of browsers support @font-face. Even if you can't get a license, bitmaps should never be used for body copy, so you should use another typeface.

Really appreciate your comments, will do my best to address some of the issues (some I can, some I don't have the skillset or tools to do), might have to look at better software that is easier for dummies like me to use (Webpages for dummies, that's what I need).

There's no such thing. Web design is hard because you're basically implementing the design as software, and software development is hard. You need to write the style sheets by hand, or it will have these quality issues.

Web publishing is another matter though. There's a bunch of great tools for that which are very accessible, but you'll have to accept using a pre-existing design/theme.

#7 User is offline   Johnraka 

• Rivenworld Creator

Posted 24 February 2014 - 03:30 AM

Many thanks again, will look at addressing some of the issues you have raised (may not be able to address all of them but at least I can make the best of a bad job), @font-face? Never heard of that but will certainly look into it - thanks.

Really appreciate you taking the time on this, a big help to me - sincere thanks once again.

You may not see a radical improvement but hopefully the small changes I have planned will make something of a difference. Posted Image

#8 User is offline   Johnraka 

• Rivenworld Creator

Posted 25 February 2014 - 05:17 PM

OK, 19 hours later updates and modifications have been made to www.rivenworld.com.
After 18 hours the Serif Webplus package crashed - lost all its connections to the embedded files, luckily I saved earlier so only lost my work on 12 pages instead of the whole site but it was enough to really annoy me... grrr!

Anyway, it is as good as I am ever going to get it - no doubt there are still many things wrong but I don't have the skill or the software to make it any better than it is - apart from which, after 11 hours straight I am just about 'webbed' out.

Enjoy - as much as you can and please overlook the faults...

Signing off at 23:16 GMT - going to bed...

Goodnight all...

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users