MYSTcommunity: Myst 4 on Windows XP - MYSTcommunity

Page 1 of 1

Myst 4 on Windows XP

#1 User is offline   Veovis17 

• choortahn (learner)
  • Group: Member

Posted 14 March 2014 - 02:03 PM

I bought Myst 4 a while ago and haven't had a good time. I have a new pc, Which i am tying this on, but i am not allowed to use myst on it. So i installed it on our old windows xp one. It works ok, but it takes about 20 seconds to travel between points. This, as you can imagine, makes the experience awful. I have turned down the resolution all the way. I have unchecked all of the graphic settings for better water and such, but the wait time is still there. I should give more specs, but the old pc is off and takes a long time to boot up.

#2 User is offline   Johnraka 

• Rivenworld Creator
  • Group: Veteran Member

Posted 14 March 2014 - 05:41 PM

Why are you not allowed to use Myst on the new pc? Probably none of my business but thought I would ask.

Re: the XP PC, have you got all the latest service packs for Windows loaded? (I believe SP3 was the last one) and updated all your drivers?
Without any specs this is the first place I would look for problems of this nature.

Some specs would help determine whether or not the PC is up to the job - it should be but it would help if you can find a way of providing that info.

Posted Image

#3 User is offline   luna 

• meh
  • Group: Team Member
  • KI number:141809

Posted 15 March 2014 - 12:59 PM

Maybe it will help to run a general PC clean up? Uninstall unused programs, run ccleaner, make sure no unnecessary background programs are running etc. Even if it doesn't help, it's still a good thing to do.

#4 User is offline   Veovis17 

• choortahn (learner)
  • Group: Member

Posted 16 March 2014 - 12:23 PM

Johnraka: thanks. I dont think ive updaed anything or gotten the service packs

#5 User is offline   realXCV 

• glotahn (beginner)
  • Group: Veteran Member

Posted 19 March 2014 - 09:47 PM

Unless you are loading a node with a lot of content, it shouldn't take more than 1 or 2 seconds.

Speaking from experience, what takes the most time to load are the cube pictures there are usually a lot of them:

A typical node starts with up to 216 pictures. If it's an outdoor location, there will probably be a bit less. Does the node have more than one state? Does it include things that are partially hidden by masks? Any flickering light? Is depth of field enabled? All of these things will make the game load even more cube pictures and not just a few more.

Unfortunately, the only setting that can help you here is the depth if field effect. On best cases scenarios, it will load maybe half less pictures when disabled than it would qhen this option is enabled.

Changing resolution won't help you at all.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1

Fast Reply

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users