MYSTcommunity: Riven on iPad Mini etc etc - MYSTcommunity

Page 1 of 1

Riven on iPad Mini etc etc

#1 User is offline   Johnraka 

• Rivenworld Creator
  • Group: Veteran Member

Posted 24 April 2014 - 03:09 AM

Well, this was going to be a brief insight into how well Riven plays on the iPad mini (my latest toy) but is probably going to end up as a critique of the iPad (which will probably take me off of many peoples Christmas card list).
To begin, 2 years ago I got myself an Android tablet (little 8" screen), as I already had an Android phone it seemed like a good move and in all truth it was, it has served its purpose well enough but it is a little slow now.
In light of this I went back to Orange to cancel the contract and they said that as I have been with them for 13 years I qualified for a loyalty bonus - a free iPad mini with a contract cost that was the same as the Android - as I had already bought Riven for the iPad (when it came out - just in case I ever bought an iPad, plus I just like giving money to Cyan - it makes me feel good all over), anyway, as I said, as I had already bought Riven I thought why not give it a go?

And so my new shiny iPad arrived on Tuesday and I started to play - well by Wednesday lunchtime I was not only tearing my hair out I was ready to throw this useless piece of junk out of the window and to hell with the cost!
To explain, I have been a PC man all my life (well, as long as PC's have been around anyway), I have enjoyed the many virtues of the Android operating system and Android devices so the move to Apple products was a new step for me.
Forget everything I already knew, the iPad is nothing like the PC or the Android, this was a whole new learning curve, the iPad fell down in many areas (in my eyes), you couldn't transfer files via Bluetooth (come on Apple, get with the program - just about every Android phone and Windows laptop can do that these days), there was no slot for a USB stick or memory card (what?!!!) and the 16Gig on board memory is what you are stuck with and believe me the price jump to a 32Gig device was in no way justified when you consider how cheap memory is - my Android tablet has a 32Gig Micro SD card installed at a cost of £12!
In short I couldn't copy any of my music, videos, pictures etc from either my PC or Android - well, not quite true as it turns out the iPlayer will at least copy music and vid's for you but it took a call to Apple support to do that - and all praise to their support line, they called me back on my mobile within 60 seconds and were brilliant - Apple 1 - Android 0
Having done that I then had to sign up to Dropbox and install that on all my devices in order to transfer the files I wanted to the iPad - a long and slightly annoying route when you consider that a Bluetooth transfer facility would have been much simpler (as would a micro SD slot!) but there we go - all done.
In terms of Apps, it would seem that the Android scores well over the iPad here with a greater selection, more free stuff and of course I don't have to worry about storing my precious data on the device, I simply put it on the micro sd card, on the iPad of course I am eating into precious storage with everything I put on it.
How do they measure up against each other? Well, the iPad screen is much more responsive, is far better quality and in all truth the battery life is phenomenal, I had it downloading all night and it only used 23% of its battery - the Android would have been flat by morning.
In terms of flexibility (external memory cards and file transfer capabilities) the Android scores well over the iPad and always will.
What sells the iPad for me is the fact that I can play Myst and Riven on it - had I been able to do so on the Android I would not have even considered going down the iPad route - in all truth I cannot see why people rave about the iPad and iPhone, both have severe limitations although I do accept that they have many plus points too (before I offend half the world with my views lol).
Would I be tempted to move from an Android phone to an iPhone? based on my experience with the iPad - absolutely not, it does not have the flexibility and compatibility with my PC that I need and desire, Android still scores over Apple on that one, in fact even my old Blackberry Torch had more flexibility than the iPad or iPhone.

So, there we have it, that is what I said it would be - a critique of the iPad, as for playing Riven on it?
I couldn't fault it, the gameplay is superb, the interface responsive, images are crisp and sharp, videos are a little on the grainy side but then I play Riven at home on a 27" screen so I am used to that, on the whole, Riven for the iPad works extremely well and for that reason alone I am glad I have the iPad, it means I can take my favourite game with me wherever I go and with the incredible battery life I am guaranteed hours of great entertainment.
If you have an iPad and haven't bought Riven yet I strongly suggest you do so - it is wonderful.

#2 User is offline   tbr 

• glotahn (beginner)
  • Group: Member

Posted 24 April 2014 - 05:02 AM

So your criticism boils down to not being able to use Bluetooth or MicroSD to add content? What was wrong with syncing the way it's intended, over USB? It's certainly going to be a lot faster than Bluetooth too.

Note that the converse is true when going from iOS to Android; why can't I just sync this thing with iTunes like I've always done?

#3 User is offline   Johnraka 

• Rivenworld Creator

Posted 24 April 2014 - 05:19 AM

View Posttbr, on 24 April 2014 - 05:02 AM, said:

So your criticism boils down to not being able to use Bluetooth or MicroSD to add content? What was wrong with syncing the way it's intended, over USB? It's certainly going to be a lot faster than Bluetooth too.

Note that the converse is true when going from iOS to Android; why can't I just sync this thing with iTunes like I've always done?

Yeah, just me trying to get to grips with a new way of working after years of using a PC and my love of all things Android.
Have synced over usb after getting help from the nice person at Apple - got to say that Apple support is second to none in my book - they certainly get a Gold star for that one.
The iTunes thing was new to me (never used it before) so again it was a learning curve, still wouldn't buy an iPhone but that is simply down to personal choice, I think the Android phones are much more flexible, having said that I am falling in love with my iPad with every minute I use it so...
Who knows what the future may hold? ;-)

#4 User is offline   Johnraka 

• Rivenworld Creator

Posted 25 April 2014 - 04:46 AM

Finally got to grips with the iPad, bit of a learning curve and after 20 years of messing around with PC's that came as quite a shock but got there in the end.
Have to say in terms of its use and response times (not to mention the astonishing battery life) it is much better than my old Android tablet, got my favourite apps on it so all is now looking much better - and as for Riven? Plays on the iPad like a dream, just great to be able to go anywhere and take Riven with me.
Starting to love Apple now...

#5 User is offline   Capella 

• Team Marbelous
  • Group: Admin

Posted 25 April 2014 - 05:18 AM

There's always an adjustment period when moving to an unfamiliar system. I know when I was loaned an Android phone it made no sense to me (and it doesn't much help that it's an incredibly outdated version of the OS). But I am glad you have Riven up and running smoothly! I sometimes play Riven on the work iPad when it's quiet.

#6 User is offline   luna 

• meh
  • Group: Team Member
  • KI number:141809

Posted 27 April 2014 - 03:09 AM

It's kind of amusing for me to read about your struggles because I actually felt that way about android. I find transfering files to my android phone or tablet a real hassle, not all my computers have bluetooth and it's cumbersome to use. And when you plug it in usb half of the time you need to have an argument with the drivers. Itunes however can even do sync! :p

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1

Fast Reply

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users