Page 1 of 1

Internet Woes Sudden problems for no apparent reason >.<

#1 User is offline   K'laamas 

• glotahn (beginner)
  • Group: Team Member
  • KI number:374576

Posted 05 June 2014 - 04:45 PM

*crawls out of the woodwork* >.>

We have a Dell Desktop Computer, running Windows 7. We get our high-speed Internet through CenturyLink (starting when they were still Qwest). We have an Actiontec PK5000 Modem/Router (with the Qwest logo on it), directly connected to our computer by an Ethernet Cable. Both the Computer's Internet connection and the Wi-Fi were working fine until several days ago, when the Computer suddenly stopped being able to connect to the Internet for no apparent reason. We can access the Wi-Fi fine from our various mobile devices (iPods, iPad, Laptop, etc.), but not from the Desktop Computer (which again, is directly connected to the Modem/Router by an Ethernet Cable).

When I go to "Control Panel > Network and Internet > Network and Sharing Center", next to "Connections", it lists both "Local Area Connection" and "Wireless Network Connection". When I click on either of those, in the pop-up window, under "Connection", it says "IPv4 Connectivity: Internet" and "IPv6 Connectivity: No Internet access". The Computer seems to recognize both the Modem/Router and the Wireless Network, but somehow can't connect to the Internet.

We have made no recent changes to either our Computer or our Internet service. I've tried all the obvious things like rebooting both the Computer and the Modem/Router several times (including doing so after changing settings, to make sure they were applied), but nothing helped. I've tried everything I can find to diagnose, repair, or fix the problem, but nothing has worked. I've been on the phone with tech support with Microsoft, CenturyLink, and Dell, & e-mail tech support with Actiontec, but they couldn't solve anything. All I can figure out is that our Computer stopped connecting to the Internet for no apparent reason.

What can I do to fix it??? Help! :,<

#2 User is offline   Capella 

• Team Marbelous
  • Group: Admin

Posted 06 June 2014 - 04:55 AM

Do you have a restore point on your system from when it was working last?

I'm wondering if a security update or something similar set a small flag somewhere that's causing this issue. I know you said you haven't intentionally made any big changes to it, but you do update on Patch Tuesdays to the latest OS security updates and stuff, right? Perhaps there was a networking update that caused a hiccup. I'm assuming it's unlikely to be malware because cutting off the internet seems like a strange thing for it to do.

Do you know anyone who has a USB wireless adapter? I have one for my desktop. If someone does have one, that might be a good way of testing if it's that the computer OS doesn't want to properly negotiate a connection, or if it's an issue with just the one connection type.

You said you have a laptop, have you tried plugging that into the router's ethernet port?

#3 User is offline   Topher Bear 

• shokhootahn (instructor)
  • Group: Veteran Member
  • KI number:06868707

Posted 09 June 2014 - 09:21 AM

In the last couple of months I found that I had a virus on my router. Initially it re directed Google searches then re directed web addresses until eventually I couldn't access anything. My phone started acting up and when I connected my old laptop which had never been on the network before and this also had problems I realised it was the router. I solved it by resetting it to factory defaults. Twice. It could be something to consider.
I generally have terrible trouble with my wifi inn pc but no other device. I think this is a combination of weak signal, recent change of drivers (a different headache why I don't want to try polling back) and tv (not a smart tv) interference.

Since you are wired though, seems very odd.

#4 User is offline   luna 

• meh
  • Group: Team Member
  • KI number:141809

Posted 19 June 2014 - 03:39 PM

Instead of the desktop, can you try connecting the laptop using the desktop's ethernet cable? Make sure to disable the wifi on the laptop.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1

Fast Reply

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users