MYSTcommunity: The Room & The Room 2 for iPad - MYSTcommunity

Page 1 of 1

The Room & The Room 2 for iPad

#1 User is offline   Johnraka 

• Rivenworld Creator
  • Group: Veteran Member

Posted 19 June 2014 - 10:03 AM

Not sure if anybody here has played these 2 games yet (probably have), available for the Android and iPad, bought the iPad versions for a ridiculously low price and have just started The Room 2.
What a brilliant and extremely clever game, the storyline is dark but very good and the puzzles are a work of sheer genius.
Take a look at the video clip on their site: http://www.fireproof...om/the-room-two

My link

#2 User is offline   tbr 

• glotahn (beginner)
  • Group: Member

Posted 19 June 2014 - 01:07 PM

Played the first one about when it came out (two years ago or so?). Nice atmosphere and very touch friendly puzzle mechanics, but two things bothered me a lot. First, there were some attempts at a story, but ultimately it seemed completely void of any substance, mostly a way to dress up some arbitrary puzzles. It's okay to have mysterious puzzles without story, but it's not okay to pretend there is a story when there isn't. (Since it's been a while I don't really remember the story to be honest, but I remember this was my impression.)

And worse, that in-your-face hint system. It kept giving away way too much way too fast, often before you even had a chance to see what you had to figure out. And as far as I could tell, there was no way to turn it off.

Does 2 improve on these things? Maybe they've fixed the hint system since?

For a really difficult Myst-like iPad game, I can recommend trying Hiversaires. It's slideshow style, similar to Myst and Riven, but very minimalist graphics. At first it's utterly, unforgivingly confusing, but after a while you start figuring things out. Haven't finished it yet though, so I think it's been trying my patience just a bit too much.

#3 User is offline   Johnraka 

• Rivenworld Creator
  • Group: Veteran Member

Posted 19 June 2014 - 02:17 PM

I have only used the hint system in both games about a half dozen times, but yes, it is the same in game 2 as in game 1.
The storyline, although not the greatest or most convoluted is still enjoyable although I appreciate what you say about the puzzles/story aspect.
Almost finished the Room 2, am hoping for a Room 3...

Will look at Hiversaires to see what it is like, thanks.

#4 User is offline   Lesley 

• choortahn (learner)
  • Group: Member
  • Location:Where the sky meets the sea, and all things are made possible

Posted 29 December 2014 - 01:13 AM

Pardon for the old topic, but since it was on the first page...this game is basically the reason I even know Myst exists.

I downloaded and finished the first installment of The Room about a year ago. I definitely loved it (even if I thought the puzzles where a bit easy), but I found it lacked a certain...something that I had a craving for. I had been playing it for at least couple of hours on my phone when I took a break and booted up my laptop. By that point I knew I needed a nostalgia fix for the kind of games I grew up with, which is why I downloaded The Room to begin with, but I also knew it wasn't quite what I was looking for. So I got curious and just bluntly punched into Google:

"what are some good point and click adventure games"

You'll never guess what one of the first suggestions was. And now three and a half games, two novels and an entire sprawling fantasy universe later, I'm pleased as punch that I decided to go down that road. Of course, this same snap decision also caused me to bump into Alan Wake, which while not exactly in the same genre also went on to become one of my favorite games ever. (Actually, I just now noticed, but that game also has to do with books and their contents taking on life, although in a manner and presentation completely different then Myst. Weird.)

First, there were some attempts at a story, but ultimately it seemed completely void of any substance, mostly a way to dress up some arbitrary puzzles. It's okay to have mysterious puzzles without story, but it's not okay to pretend there is a story when there isn't. (Since it's been a while I don't really remember the story to be honest, but I remember this was my impression.)

I actually think this is probably where my 'lacking a certain something' issue came from. One of the things that makes Myst so great (for me, anyway), is that the story is so intriguing that you're motivated to keep playing and solve the puzzles because it's exciting to see what might happen next. The Room...does not have that effect on me. It's more like having a box full of fun rubix-cube type toys to play with to stretch your mind and keep you entertained, which is fun in its own way. Yet the story, while not horribly written, is fairly generic.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1

Fast Reply

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users