MYSTcommunity: Riven development memorabilia - MYSTcommunity

• 3 Pages +

Riven development memorabilia

#1 User is offline   lagouyn 

• rov nee (new person)
  • Group: Member

Posted 19 June 2014 - 10:11 AM

Hello MYSTcommunity,

My name is Allan. I was one of the Broderbund software engineers that worked on Riven.

(I'm the Allan -- aka "La Gouyn" -- mentioned in this old post: http://www.mystcommu...a-random-debug/)

I have some items of Riven memorabilia that I'm thinking of parting with. Some of it is extremely cool and one-of-a-kind. These are all circa 1996-1997.

Please email me if you're interested.

Thank you.

-Allan

#2 User is offline   Johnraka 

• Rivenworld Creator
  • Group: Veteran Member

Posted 19 June 2014 - 04:02 PM

PM sent ;-)

#3 User is offline   033031056 

• lontahn (discoverer)

Posted 20 June 2014 - 10:43 AM

Pm sent..

Don't sell to anyone else . . . . . just to me !

Lol :)

#4 User is offline   Capella 

• Team Marbelous
  • Group: Admin

Posted 20 June 2014 - 07:17 PM

Sent you a PM regarding an opportunity to have a lot of people see them.

#5 User is offline   033031056 

• lontahn (discoverer)

Posted 24 June 2014 - 11:30 PM

Has anyone heard back fron Allan yet . . . . . or is it just me he's not talking to ?

Lol

See ya

David G

#6 User is offline   Johnraka 

• Rivenworld Creator

Posted 25 June 2014 - 12:50 AM

He hasn't got any pricing yet David as he doesn't know what the items are worth and is now considering eBay as he obviously wants a fair price, I was a little disappointed by this but do understand where he is coming from.
Pricing such rare items is going to be very difficult which I think is why he is considering eBay.
Have emailed him and asked for a link to the items on eBay if he goes down that route - then everybody gets a chance to see what is on offer and a chance to bid.

#7 User is offline   033031056 

• lontahn (discoverer)

Posted 25 June 2014 - 02:05 PM

Sounds a fair way to play it.

I hope the links will all be posted here so we can all get a crack at this.

And that international shipping will be ok . . . . so that us Brittish fans can have a chance as well !

Lol

David G

#8 User is offline   Capella 

• Team Marbelous

Posted 26 June 2014 - 05:02 AM

I haven't heard back yet either, which is really disappointing. I was hoping to arrange the items being displayed at Mysterium before they went on to new homes, so that a number of people would get to look at and enjoy seeing them. Even if they wouldn't go to us to give as prizes or raffle items, I would have been happy to mail them to their new homes afterwards. I just thought it would have been great to have them on display to more than 100 people.

#9 User is offline   Johnraka 

• Rivenworld Creator

Posted 28 June 2014 - 02:35 PM

Just heard from him, he is still deciding what to do.
Watch this space...

#10 User is offline   033031056 

• lontahn (discoverer)

Posted 01 July 2014 - 02:22 PM

The excitement builds . . . .

#11 User is offline   Johnraka 

• Rivenworld Creator

Posted 02 July 2014 - 01:43 AM

View Post033031056, on 01 July 2014 - 02:22 PM, said:

The excitement builds . . . .

Hmmm, yes it does and yet it doesn't...
Why do I say that? Well, you can only dangle a carrot in front of people for so long before interest starts to wane, and my interest in all of this is starting to go off the boil - sadly...
I was fortunate in as much as Allan made contact with me (presumably working on a 'first come, first served basis' - for which I am very grateful), I have the privilege of knowing what is available, as Allan hasn't gone public with this yet it isn't for me to reveal what he has as he may not be happy with me doing that, believe me when I say that pretty much everything is desirable, some things much more than others.
There were in all 5 items that I had an interest in, I say 'had', when he talked about going down the ebay route I shortened my list to 2 'critical' items and made an opening offer on both, 1 item is unique and cannot be replicated so obviously I am very keen on that one, the other is also unique but could be replicated and in all truth I could make a copy of it for a third of my opening offer - who would know it was a fake? Only me, Who would see it? Only me (and anybody visiting my house), Would it matter that it was a replica (fake)? In all truth, probably not and as such I have already started to gather the materials to create this 'replica' just in case this all falls flat - as I suspect it might.
Going down the ebay route may be best for Allan as the seller, given that an Exile poster advertised on this forum recently went for a staggering $199(!) it is possible that Allan would get an astonishing price for his many items and I would like to see him get a fair price for everything, as he says, putting a price on all of this is difficult as he has no benchmark - he has to let the market decide what is the best price, and we all know that an item is only worth what somebody is prepared to pay for it, unless he puts a reserve on the items then of course the ebay option could work against him so I would hope that he does that if only to protect his interests.
For my part, this is all taking a little bit too long and I am beginning to wonder a) if it will ever happen at all or b) if it will end up with us all being priced out of the bidding, bearing in mind that any 'games paraphernalia' that has been offered through the forum has been (historically) very slow to move given that many people simply do not have the money to throw at it.

Also, there is the 'Interest' factor, I know from personal experience that Riven 'items' do not sell well, in fact Cyan advised me against going public with my Riven Collection as they didn't think there was any mileage in it, in all truth they were right - since its release I have only had 2 orders, 1 through this forum, the other from a guy at work, even my site rivenworld.com has only had a few hundred hits despite me trying to make it as interesting as possible with various video clips and written interviews/reports - the interest simply isn't there any more, given that only 3 of us have even posted on this thread I think my case is pretty much made on that score - it may be my passion but it doesn't mean to say that everybody else feels the same way.

This is an old game, I love it, others may love it but is there enough interest on this forum (and money) to give Allan the price he wants for this stuff? Probably not and I suspect ebay may be his best option - in the event I cannot help but feel that many of us won't even be able to walk into the auction room as the price will be way out of our reach....

The excitement may be building at the moment but I suspect it won't sustain its momentum unless Allan comes back with a decision soon...
Hopefully he will.

#12 User is offline   033031056 

• lontahn (discoverer)

Posted 02 July 2014 - 08:12 AM

I've already got one of my kidneys and one of my kids up for sale on EBay to raise a wee bit extra cash for any potential stuff that may come up for sale !

Seriously though, I can see where you are coming from with this......but who knows in the crazy world of Ebay.

I remember when URU came out, a game box signed by all the production staff and Rand went on EBay.

I bid and bid and bid on it until it went over the $250 mark and I pulled out.

The box eventually went for more than that, but I cant remember the actual final sale price !

The box then re-appeared on EBay about a year later......and I was the only bidder......and I paid $20......result !

Just shows that true value for this sort of stuff is all in the eye of the beholder.

:loveya:

#13 User is offline   Topher Bear 

• shokhootahn (instructor)
  • KI number:06868707

Posted 04 July 2014 - 04:09 AM

That's an interesting anecdote. Sounds like am investor paid far too much and bid the price up. Kind of like people making a market for stuff because they thought there was, only they were the market. Can be circular. A bit like silver cars. Everyone has a silver car because they have been told they are easier to sell, but that is because the next person buys it not because they want silver but because they think the next person will.

I would love to get some Riven stuff, I am as enamoured with Riven as John is, but don't have the funds. I am working on it, and should have some funds soon for a Riven mug. But I agree that for most people it is just too old. Its nostalgia market now.

I also don't have the space at home to do a Riven collection justice, so no way I could bid. If and when I make my fortune, then John will find a competitor! :)

certainly interested to find out what this stuff is.

While talking about selling stuff, anybody want to buy a 2004 Hyundai coupe. I just can't get any interest, its like the bottom has fallen out the coupe market. Now its costing me just to have it sitting outside the house!

#14 User is offline   033031056 

• lontahn (discoverer)

Posted 04 July 2014 - 05:16 AM

And now we're trying to sell cars here as well ?

Ha ha ha ha :rotflol:

#15 User is offline   Johnraka 

• Rivenworld Creator

Posted 08 July 2014 - 02:41 AM

Well, as this has been dragging on since the 19th of June I am now pulling out, I have lost interest and I'm tired of waiting for this.
I have made what I consider to be reasonable offers on 2 items which I would have dearly loved and given the shipping costs would probably end up costing me twice what I offered, these were opening offers mind so there was still room for negotiation but as far as I know he is still making his mind up.

As I have already said, I can replicate the bigger item quite well and only I would know it was a replica and it would only cost me about £25 with no postage - I would be a fool if I didn't do it.
With regards to the other item, well, in all truth it may end up being no different to what I already have (in fact what anybody who has Riven already has - now there's a clue for you) so that could end up being wasted money.

Good luck to Allan whatever he decides and I know this stuff will go to a good home no matter what happens.

Good luck to anybody who eventually gets a chance to bid on it, there is a fair bit of stuff there and all of it interesting and unique.

I will email Allan tonight with my decision.

Best wishes ;-)

#16 User is offline   033031056 

• lontahn (discoverer)

Posted 13 July 2014 - 12:59 PM

It's a shame it's come to this..

We'd all hoped that something really interesting was going to take place . . . . . and it hasn't,

Maybe the cool stuff will show up on Ebay.
Hopefully we'll get a heads up before the auctions start to give us a fighting chance

David G

#17 User is offline   Capella 

• Team Marbelous

Posted 14 July 2014 - 06:02 PM

Same here. I thought it would have been great to show these items off at Mysterium. :(

#18 User is offline   Johnraka 

• Rivenworld Creator

Posted 15 July 2014 - 03:21 AM

He has simply vanished, I didn't even get a response from him, sad but there we go.
As for my replicating one of the items he offered, I have decided not to do that but to create my own tribute to Cyan's production of Myst and Riven, watch the forum for future updates...

#19 User is offline   lagouyn 

• rov nee (new person)

Posted 15 July 2014 - 02:29 PM

Hi from Allan.

I'm sorry for the delay in replying to questions about this. It's been a busy time at work and with life in general. I'll try to be more punctual.

I think that given that there is some interest in the memorabilia by a number of people, I should probably be democratic about it and go the ebay route so that no one's left out.

My next step, then, is to learn *how* to ebay something, and how to do the shipping/calculations/international, whether to set reserve amounts, etc. Please allow me a little time to look into this. Once I've posted an item, I'll update this thread. Sound okay?

Just a note: part of my slowness on this is that I really don't know what would be fair value for the various things that I have. I'm hoping that the pricing works out so that both buyer and seller are happy. :)

Thank you.
-Allan

#20 User is offline   033031056 

• lontahn (discoverer)

Posted 16 July 2014 - 08:11 AM

Hi Allan,

Many thanks for getting back to us !

If you could keep us updated that would be great.

Have a good day

David G

#21 User is offline   lagouyn 

• rov nee (new person)

Posted 03 July 2015 - 11:01 AM

Hello,

I'm selling some original prints from a circa 1996 San Francisco photo shoot of Gehn, Moiety villagers and sets, shot during Riven's development.

http://www.ebay.com/...-/161753080494?

Thank you.

-Allan

#22 User is offline   Johnraka 

• Rivenworld Creator

Posted 04 July 2015 - 01:15 PM

Great to hear but sadly if you are outside the U.S. you will not be able to bid...

#23 User is offline   taniith 

• rov nee (new person)

Posted 04 July 2015 - 03:31 PM

View Postlagouyn, on 03 July 2015 - 11:01 AM, said:

Hello,

I'm selling some original prints from a circa 1996 San Francisco photo shoot of Gehn, Moiety villagers and sets, shot during Riven's development.

http://www.ebay.com/...-/161753080494?

Thank you.

-Allan

Any chance you could scan them before they are sold, so that more people are able to enjoy them in the long run?

#24 User is offline   Johnraka 

• Rivenworld Creator

Posted 06 July 2015 - 03:40 AM

Spoke to Allan via ebay, no International postage option on these, however he said he will try and look at that for future items so for now this is U.S. residents only for the bidding...

#25 User is offline   zib_redlektab 

• rov nee (new person)

Posted 06 July 2015 - 07:05 PM

To whoever wins this auction: it goes without saying that us over at the Starry Expanse Project are really interested in getting a closer look at some of these photos. PM me when the auction is over, we'd love to talk!

Share this topic:

• 3 Pages +

Fast Reply

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users