MYSTcommunity: Myst Masterpiece 10th Anniv. Ed. in Mountain Lion - MYSTcommunity

Page 1 of 1

Myst Masterpiece 10th Anniv. Ed. in Mountain Lion How???

#1 User is offline   delia 

• rov nee (new person)
  • Group: Member

Posted 24 September 2014 - 01:44 AM

Soooo... I just got the 10th anniversary MME for a few bucks and was super stoked, as I haven't even seen Myst in many years. To my dismay I, of course, can't get it to run on my macbook (Mountain Lion) :( I tried out PlayOnMac (as was suggested in another thread on this page) and still no luck. I'm not terribly tech savvy and know nothing about creating partitions for other platforms or whatever(?)... Basically, I just really want to play these games WITHOUT completely screwing up my laptop. Someone gave me an old PC laptop to try out....but for some reason it won't recognize there is even a disk in when Myst is in (and I did check with another game to make sure the drive was working)! ANYONE able to help me out??? I would really prefer a way to make it all run on my mac so I can return this PC loaner. So, wonderful Myst fans, WHAT do I do?!? Getting SO frustrated!
Thanks!

#2 User is offline   Johnraka 

• Rivenworld Creator
  • Group: Veteran Member

Posted 25 September 2014 - 05:51 AM

Hi Delia, sorry you haven't had a response yet and to be honest I can't be of much help on this one either but can I suggest you post this on: http://mystonline.com/forums/ and Cyan's own forum as well: http://forums.cyan.com/ if only to spread the net a bit and hopefully find an answer.

Good luck and best wishes
JD

#3 User is offline   delia 

• rov nee (new person)

Posted 25 September 2014 - 11:12 AM

Thanks JD,
I'll give these a go... I tried contacting Cyan + Ubisoft a month or so ago. Lol, there will be a way....
Cheers :)

#4 User is offline   delia 

• rov nee (new person)

Posted 28 September 2014 - 02:16 AM

:hitwall: ANYONE?

#5 User is offline   Capella 

• Team Marbelous
  • Group: Admin

Posted 29 September 2014 - 06:48 AM

A little background context: the reason it's so difficult to run on a Mac is because the game was released before Mac OS X, and certainly before Macs had Intel processors, which means that a lot of emulation is needed to make the game able to run. (It can also be difficult to get it working on newer PCs because of OS age differences, even though the processor type is the same.)

As far as I'm personally aware of, the only way to run Myst: Masterpiece Edition is via the PlayOnMac method. What exactly is going wrong when you try setting it up that way? Maybe we can troubleshoot that.

#6 User is offline   delia 

• rov nee (new person)

Posted 30 September 2014 - 10:32 PM

Ha, yep, sure wish I did a lil research before I actually bought the game. I was so stoked to find Myst~plus the next 2, which I've never played~ that I obviously didn't do my homework :p It's been a couple weeks since I tried the PlayOnMac method... I'll try it again tonight, as I can't remember exactly what it was, but I think it was *something* not supported. The game wouldn't open at all. I'll give it a try again and post back!

#7 User is offline   delia 

• rov nee (new person)

Posted 01 October 2014 - 12:37 AM

Ah. Right. Now I remember. I used the PlayOnMac Installation wizard, and it totally looked like it was working (I'm trying it again right now, this being the 4th or 5th attempt)! It SAID Myst was now installed, as well as quicktime (from the disk), and there is a Wine Explorer window that opened... And now the PlayOnMac wizard is saying 'please wait'. On a previous try I let this thing keep running for most of a day. And it did nothing but ask me to 'please wait'.
Ideas?

#8 User is offline   delia 

• rov nee (new person)

Posted 01 October 2014 - 01:30 AM

OOOOK. So, it looks like I've managed to get Myst installed in PlayOnMac (at least, the book icon now shows up in the POM window), but when I click on it I get a box that says 'Myst32 requires Windows95, you are running WindowsNT'. I've been trying to find out where the F(*& I can change what version of windows is running... No luck.

#9 User is offline   delia 

• rov nee (new person)

Posted 03 October 2014 - 12:03 AM

UPDATE:

It is ALMOST working with PlayOnMac~ after leaving it a few days and doing some deep breathing ;) It will open, and 90% of the time there is sound. However, graphics are little to none. Once, it opened and revealed 'The Book', but every other time it is either an all black screen, or I get a few glitchy flashes of picture before a black screen. I've discovered that when I open a drop down menu, then exit it, there is picture where the menu was. Likewise, if I open a window (preferences or something), then move it around the screen + exit, I can make all the picture appear. Also, there is no visible cursor within the game screen, only along the sides or on the top bar.
Once, I just guessed roughly where the cursor should be and made a wild click on the picture in the book to see if anything would happen... The sound did change to the sounds of the dock, and one teeny tiny bar of the right graphics appeared in a corner.
Aaaaand now I'm stuck again.

Anyone have any ideas?

#10 User is offline   delia 

• rov nee (new person)

Posted 21 October 2014 - 07:42 PM

SOLVED! Thanks to a wonderfully helpful person on Cyan forums :)

I have now run through almost the whole (Myst) game using the development version of ScummVM. Super easy to use + install, even for a tech dummy like me.

Stoked I am able to play this game, FINALLY!

I hope ScummVM works this well for Riven + Exile!

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1

Fast Reply

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users