MYSTcommunity: Myst Television Series! - MYSTcommunity

Page 1 of 1

Myst Television Series! by Legendary Television

#1 User is offline   Capella 

• Team Marbelous
  • Group: Admin

Posted 07 October 2014 - 09:36 AM

This news article just came across my Twitter feed.

So a Myst TV series! Legendary is good people and a well-reported studio. This is leading some people to be classically Cautiously Optimistic. Others are somewhat nervous. What's your take?

#2 User is offline   Johnraka 

• Rivenworld Creator
  • Group: Veteran Member

Posted 07 October 2014 - 11:51 AM

Just got this off Twitter...

Myst is getting a TV series http://theverge.com/e/6699752

http://www.theverge....-companion-game

My link

Oh Yeah!Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#3 User is offline   I'mNotCheating... 

• The Laughing Potato™

Posted 08 October 2014 - 10:20 AM

http://venturebeat.c...-based-on-myst/

Cyan announced this yesterday. It'll be interesting to see how it turns out (or indeed if it turns out) but this news on the back of the news of new Twin Peaks episodes has really made my week.

#4 User is offline   Topher Bear 

• shokhootahn (instructor)
  • KI number:06868707

Posted 08 October 2014 - 12:10 PM

What else has legendary done?

#5 User is offline   Shinkansen 

• Friendly Forum Curmudgeon
  • KI number:00759215

Posted 09 October 2014 - 06:26 AM

I remember back in the late 90s/early 2000s (when Myst was still really big) they announced that Cyan had made a deal with SciFi (now SyFy) to make a Myst miniseries, but nothing really came of it.

I wonder if this is just a company acquiring the show rights 'just in case' or a show will actually come out of it.

#6 User is offline   Shinkansen 

Posted 09 October 2014 - 06:53 AM

View PostTopher Bear, on 08 October 2014 - 12:10 PM, said:

What else has legendary done?
In terms of films, a whole lot: the Nolanverse Batman trilogy, Pacific Rim, Inception, and so on. Lots of big-budget epic action films.

They've also done several television shows, though nothing I've ever heard of.

#7 User is offline   033031056 

• lontahn (discoverer)

Posted 09 October 2014 - 08:46 AM

.......and here we go again !

(thinks back to all that Myst film stuff we all got excited about :cries:

#8 User is offline   Capella 

• Team Marbelous

Posted 10 October 2014 - 06:45 AM

Pacific Rim is a big contender for my favorite movie. Good mix of jaw-dropping epicness in terms of action and scale, and keeping things grounded and personal for the people caught up in it. That gives me optimism.

#9 User is offline   Shinkansen 

Posted 06 May 2015 - 11:26 AM

So it looks like this actually may be happening:

After decades of efforts, Myst TV live-action show to debut on Hulu

Legendary TV announced today that it has signed a deal with Hulu to air the upcoming Myst TV series. And it looks like the show is getting some serious Hollywood treatment, as is fitting for one of gaming’s oldest and most loved franchises. Cyan Worlds, the owner of the Myst property, previously signed a deal with TV show maker Legendary to develop the Myst video game into a live-action TV series.

Spokane, Wash.-based developer Cyan is still run by Rand Miller, the co-creator of Myst. Few games have been as popular and beloved as Myst, which has sold more than 15 million copies, counting all of its sequels. It has a direct brand awareness with 40 million players, and Myst was the No. 1 computer game of the 20th century. Its sequel, Riven, was the No. 4 bestselling computer game of the 20th century, and both games are still in the top 10 bestselling computer games of all time.

Evan Daugherty (a famous screenplay writer who worked on Snow White and the Huntsman, Divergent, and the upcoming Tomb Raider reboot) has been recruited to write the script.

The game series included Myst, Riven, three additional sequels, and Myst Online: Uru. There were three bestselling Myst novels, and now the franchise may finally see its debut on television.

Myst, co-created by brothers Rand Miller and Robyn Miller, debuted in 1993 on the Mac OS as one of the first games on the CD-ROM disc format. Cyan is currently building an entirely new place to explore with a title dubbed Obduction.

“We are very excited to see his script ,” said Blake Lewin, vice president of business development at Cyan. “Both he and Cory (Lanier of Legendary) are hardcore Myst fans.”

Legendary has also brought Matt Tolmach (former Sony Pictures president who over saw Spider-Man and numerous other franchises) to produce the show. Rand Miller, Lewin, and Larry Shapiro (previously at Big Frame) will be executive producers.

“We’ve been working closely with Legendary to find a partner that shares our passion for a show based on Myst,” said Rand Miller in a statement. “Hulu’s excitement about this project exceeded our expectations. They’re committed to raising the bar in this burgeoning new arena, and we’re thrilled to be partnering with them.”

Cyan is planning on making a companion game to go with the series.

That last line is particuarlly intriguing. Espescially because I imagine that the companion game to a Myst TV series would be...you know, Myst. :p

#10 User is offline   Lesley 

• choortahn (learner)
  • Group: Member
  • Location:Where the sky meets the sea, and all things are made possible

Posted 06 May 2015 - 02:08 PM

I've actually thought about this before, and my feelings are that it would make sense to consolidate Myst and Riven into one unabridged storyline. Unless it gets some serious beefing up, the storyline of Myst alone is fairly bare-bones (Riven completes a lot of the story threads it starts), and chronologically Riven drops you off right where Myst ended, with a couple of months at most in between them. Riven also gives Myst a lot of context and backstory it doesn't have by itself.

The other games have larger time gaps in between them and more intricate, self-contained stories, so they'd probably be best as their own thing. For the first four games, I'd essentially like to see a three parter- Myst-Riven, then Exile and Revelation on their own.

#11 User is offline   Capella 

• Team Marbelous

Posted 08 May 2015 - 06:28 AM

I'd actually rather not have them cover the games' plot in the series. That's what the games are for ;)

My ideal would be covering time periods we haven't seen. For example, let's do a season after the Book of Atrus, but before Myst. Show us Atrus and Ti'ana and Katran living on Myst, making new Ages. Introduce us to the young brothers. Get us really excited about them. Show them getting older and harder, their mounting ambitions. Have the season finale be them betraying an Age we've come to love on screen and people we've come to care about. This would let us see Myst Island, and fill in time we're not sure of.

#12 User is offline   Lesley 

• choortahn (learner)
  • Group: Member
  • Location:Where the sky meets the sea, and all things are made possible

Posted 08 May 2015 - 12:21 PM

...That would also be awesome. Let's go with that.

#13 User is offline   A'Reandal 

• oglahnth (ancient one)
  • Group: Moderator

Posted 11 May 2015 - 01:22 PM

A TV series sounds great but having to subscribe to a service to view it is a problem. I already spend enough on entertainment services. But, I look forward to hearing some real details about when this might happen. I'd like to see a Myst movie or TV series.

I wonder if they will make the early shows as mysterious as Myst and then explain things in later episodes like Riven. That might drive non-Myst fans crazy and turn them away but explaining too much too soon could make the series a bit boring. In any case, we Myst fans will love it. That is if AL isn't too much in control. ;)

AL would be best used in the as of now unseen Ages like Everdunes and such.

By the way, Rodnik opened a thread about this and provided a link. That thread got trashed so I'll copy the link here.
http://www.avclub.co...zle-fill-219018

#14 User is offline   Johnraka 

• Rivenworld Creator

Posted 08 February 2016 - 09:28 AM

Hmmm, 9 months on and we are no closer to seeing this come to anything, reminds me of the ill fated Myst Movie that never took off...

Just wish somebody would do it...

#15 User is offline   Topher Bear 

• shokhootahn (instructor)
  • KI number:06868707

Posted 10 February 2016 - 03:45 AM

The switching from film to tv was a torrid affair with lots of bad blood, so if this project is fraught with difficulties I am not surprised

one thing I will suggest in its defence; what with cyan all tied up with making Obduction I assume they have zero time to input to a tv series production. Now I know these things can be made with little or no input from the rights holders, but cyan have never worked that way. They gave input and guidance to exile and revelations during their production.

There might be some movement once Obduction is released, although I am not holding my breath.

#16 User is offline   Johnraka 

• Rivenworld Creator

Posted 26 April 2016 - 07:51 AM

Hmmm, looks like this has gone the way of everything else 'Myst Movie', a real shame, wonder if this will ever get off the ground?

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1

Fast Reply

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users