MYSTcommunity: A new MYST V gaming adventure - MYSTcommunity

Page 1 of 1

A new MYST V gaming adventure Will somebody please end these ages?

#1 User is offline   olddude 

• glotahn (beginner)
  • Group: Veteran Member

Posted 26 November 2014 - 01:35 PM

Warning: This contains MYST V EOA spoilers. If you havent finished MYST V yet, and there may be one or two people in the world who haven't, don't read on. I'd have to put almost this whole thing in a spoiler tag and what would be the point in that?

It's been a while since I've been here. I've been away from things MYST and engaged in other interests, among them, still cycling, writing music and playing guitar.

I'm still using Macs and currently have a newish iMac running Yosemite. I can still run the Windows version of URU CC in a Wineskin wrapper on the iMac. I even briefly got onto the URU Live server a while back using a wrapper but performance was poor and I abandoned it after a few minutes.

Those who remember me, might recall that I was often distracted by the puzzles outside of gameplay. I thought you might like to read about my latest distraction.

Recently, my wife brought home a Dell Optiplex Windows XP computer with 2 GB RAM, that her work was discarding due to upgrades.

For fun, I found my MYST games, dusted them off and installed them on the PC. I enjoyed playing them again then thought about trying to get them onto the iMac with wrappers. I had no luck getting the CD and DVD versions to work. They required the discs to be loaded in a PC that didn't exist. I wasn't going to purchase downloaded versions since I already owned the games and they worked fine on the XP PC but just maybe there was another solution.

At one time I had hacked the Mac version of realMYST to run on a PC using the executable from the Windows demo version with the Mac files. I had to change the format of the videos from Quicktime to AVI (the Mac version video files have a .avi extension but are in fact Quicktime movies). The game ran on a PC just like it did on a Mac and didn't need the CD to be loaded.

I thought maybe I could do something similar with the Windows demo version of MYST V, then install it in a wrapper and run it on the iMac.

I picked a site from the few that were hosting the old Windows demo and downloaded it. I installed it on the PC then ran it to make sure it worked. The demo versions of MYST V only include the Direbo and Noloben ages.

I copied over all of the files and folders from the installed DVD version of the game except for the MystV.exe file, replacing the demo duplicates with the more complete versions. I replaced the python.pak file with the hacked fly-mode version so I could get past Esher, where possible and possibly get out of trouble if I encountered it. Then, I launched the demo executable on the PC.

Darn! The game started in Direbo where the demo starts but right at the Noloben pedestal instead of outside it. I backed out and ran into, you guessed it, Esher. I let him finish his speech, not that I had a choice, then linked to the Great Shaft. Everything seemed to work there so I linked back to Direbo. I went to the Noloben pedestal, drew the final symbol on the tablet and dropped it with the usual result and pedestal link added. I flew to each of the other pedestals, drew the final symbols, dropped them and linked to a keep. I had to endure Esher again then I touched the four tablets and linked away to...

...the intro video to the game!?

Now the fun began. The intro video with Atrus' voice-over finished, then the message about game settings was on the screen but I was at the Kveer keep instead of the usual starting point. I clicked "Ok" and heard Bahro linking away, leaving me looking at the completed pedestal. I took the tablet but although I seemed to be holding it, it also appeared to still be on the pedestal. I clicked the one on the pedestal again and it evaporated with sparks. The silent version of Yeesha appeared briefly, disappeared then reappeared at the keep and started giving her introductory speech, not noticing that I was already holding the tablet.

Yeesha finished her speech and I was linked away to the Volcano where Esher took just one step before I was thankfully abruptly linked back to the Kveer pedestal. Now the silent Yeesha was back but I could not move or access the game settings. I could look around and saw that the Bahro in the immediate vicinity were still there. I waited hoping that somewhere Esher was giving his speech and when he finished I could move again. When this didn't happen, I was thankful I had installed the fly-mode patch. Although I had no cursor I was able to drop the tablet. I engaged fly-mode, the tablet was taken, I disengaged fly-mode and the game appeared to be finishing normally until...

...the bahro attempted to link me to Releeshahn.

With a flap, the wings swept in front of me but now I was in total darkness. The only sound was incessant birds chirping. I had no cursor or access to the settings. Again I waited for quite a while, hoping that the ending would be written but I ended up writing it myself with a Ctrl-Alt-Delete.

Although this was more fun than the time I flew to Releeshan from Kveer with the Bahro tablet and dropped it there, getting stuck in a endless loop, In the end it didn't accomplish what I had hoped for. It was a bit of MYST gaming that I hadn't experienced before and so, it was, of course, worthwhile.

Have a great Thanksgiving!, olddude

#2 User is offline   A'Reandal 

• oglahnth (ancient one)
  • Group: Moderator

Posted 26 November 2014 - 04:51 PM

olddude! :cheesy: What a great surprise to see you here!

Thanks for sharing your cross-platform, Esher-dodging, Age-soaring adventure that's worthy of the Players' Journals forum.

Please let us know if you venture out again. That was great.

Happy Thanksgiving!

:)

#3 User is offline   olddude 

• glotahn (beginner)

Posted 27 November 2014 - 10:54 AM

Thanks A'Reandal. I did venture a bit more into this one.

Just in case anybody wants to play around with this, I had one error in my post.

I mentioned copying all of the DVD installed files to the demo installation except MystV.exe but I also left the demo eoa.exe file in the demo installation.

Further experimentation showed that the eoa.exe file from the demo is the only file you need. You can replace the same file in your full DVD installation with the demo one and get the same twisted results with no DVD required. An advantage to this is that you'll get more options for settings and may be able to save games although I haven't tried that yet.

There is a trick to finishing the game without ending up in the dark bird-chirping void of madness. You need to be sure you are out of fly-mode before the Bahro tries to link you to Releeshahn. You can do this while Yeesha is giving her kneeling speech, after you have dropped the tablet and engaged fly-mode. Verify that you are out of fly-mode, then to be sure, engage it, fly up above her a little then disengage and drop back down. When she finishes, you should be linked to the ending of the game. However,...

...as soon as the final credits finish rolling, the intro video will run again and deposit you back at the Noloben pedestal in Direbo. From there, you can easily quit the game normally or continue to explore.

I'm not sure if the MYST V fly-mode patch is still available from anywhere. If somebody needs it and can't find it, drop me a personal message. I don't think there is any way to finish the demofied game without it.

As always, these directions come with no guarantees.

#4 User is offline   olddude 

• glotahn (beginner)

Posted 27 November 2014 - 08:20 PM

Puzzle solved!

You can play MYST V EOA quite normally without fly-mode or with the DVD onboard, using the eoa.exe file from the demo download.

Just in case you want to solve it on your own, spoiler tag:

Spoiler

After the final credits, the game will start again but you can quit it after the opening video.

I've played the game successfully on my iMac running OS 10.10.1, without fly-mode using Paul the Tall's Wineskin End of Ages.app, wrapper.

Unfortunately, a drawback seems to be no saved games.

I dodged some Thanksgiving activities to work this out. Did I mention I'm a little compulsive?

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1

Fast Reply

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users