MYSTcommunity: Install/Play Uru: CC on Mac 10.8.2? - MYSTcommunity

Page 1 of 1

Install/Play Uru: CC on Mac 10.8.2?

#1 User is offline   delia 

• rov nee (new person)
  • Group: Member

Posted 07 December 2014 - 04:57 PM

Does anyone know how I could play Uru on my Mac (10.8.2)?

#2 User is offline   olddude 

• glotahn (beginner)
  • Group: Veteran Member

Posted 08 December 2014 - 07:15 AM

You can use a Wineskin wrapper. The settings can be tricky depending on what Mac you're using and its video capability. On my iMac (OS 10.10.1), I have the Screen Options set to "Automatic" with "Auto detect GPU info for Direct3D" the only other option checked.

Paul the Tall used to offer a ready-made wrapper for URU CC on his site but he seems to have moved away from Wineskin. At least I couldn't find it there anymore.

I'm running URU CC with the URU Live elements and MYST EOA Drizzled into it in a Wineskin wrapper and it works great.

#3 User is offline   delia 

• rov nee (new person)

Posted 08 December 2014 - 02:38 PM

Thank you! Glad to know there is a way. Downloading Wineskin now. I'm on a Macbook Pro running 10.8.2.

Is the Wineskin wrapper like PlayOnMac (I tried to use POM to play Myst, but couldn't get it to work)?

Does it prompt you through the install process?

What does "I'm running URU CC with the URU Live elements and MYST EOA Drizzled into it in a Wineskin wrapper" mean?

:p Sorry for all the questions, I'm really not very tech-y....

#4 User is offline   olddude 

• glotahn (beginner)

Posted 08 December 2014 - 07:42 PM

If you have access to a PC, things go a lot easier. If you're a little bit techy it helps too.

The PC method: Install URU CC on the PC copy the folder you installed it in to a flash drive then copy the folder to your Mac's desktop.

Once you have created the wrapper (you can name it anything but URU CC works) Launch the Wineskin wrapper. It's probably located in your user's home folder in the Applications folder. It will ask you about how you'd like to install the application. Set the screen options the way I suggested. Select "Install software" and "Move a folder inside" and direct it to your URU CC folder. It will ask you what .exe file to run. Select UruExplorer.exe.

Try a test run. If it works, Great! If not, don't be surprised. You may have to fiddle with it a bit more and possibly resort to the Wineskin forum for help.

The all Mac method: You will insert your URU CC DVD in your Mac, Launch the Wineskin application and select "Choose setup executable" when prompted. Point it to the setup.exe file on the disc and let it install URU CC in the wrapper, then use the settings above to finish the installation and test run it.

Drizzle is a program that does a lot of cool stuff not the least of which allows you to play most of URU Live from your URU CC installation. It also provides fly-mode which can get you into places that would usually require multiple players. It will also install a non-playable version of Myst V, Crowthistle, Hex Isle and MagiQuest, if you have any or all of them, into your URU installation. The Myst V ages will all be open for exploration only. You will likely need a PC to use Drizzle and move your Drizzled URU folder to your Mac to install in the Wineskin wrapper. There may be a way to do it all on a Mac But I haven't tried it (yet).

If none of this works, it's all my fault and you should consult the forum I mentioned. Good luck!

#5 User is offline   delia 

• rov nee (new person)

Posted 09 December 2014 - 02:12 AM

Well, I got the Wineskin Winery from the link you posted, but I didn't get prompted to "choose setup executable" (no PC) or anything, actually. I'm on my way to the Wineskin forum, but I thought I'd post here too, in case it happens to be some easy silly little thing I need to do :) It opens a a small window with "Installed Engines" at the top with a blank 'list' space "+/- New Engines Available", then "wrapper version" and a "Download Packages Manually" button. Not sure what to do from there...

#6 User is offline   olddude 

• glotahn (beginner)

Posted 09 December 2014 - 06:05 AM

Before you can do anything, you need the wrapper you're going to install URU in. So once you've launched Wineskin Winery, select "Create new blank wrapper" and go from there.

#7 User is offline   delia 

• rov nee (new person)

Posted 09 December 2014 - 06:06 PM

I keep getting a 'Cannot Load' error :( I get to the point of the Uru window opening, then the error.

#8 User is offline   olddude 

• glotahn (beginner)

Posted 09 December 2014 - 06:44 PM

Did I say it would go smoothly? I hope not. Now would be the time to search the Wineskin forum and ask for advice if you can't find the answer.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1

Fast Reply

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users