Page 1 of 1

Lesley is Playing Myst IV nao

#1 User is offline   Lesley 

• choortahn (learner)
  • Group: Member
  • Location:Where the sky meets the sea, and all things are made possible

Posted 25 December 2014 - 07:23 PM

Preface from the Player

I unwrapped my copy of Myst IV: Revelations for Christmas today. I knew it was coming in the mail for weeks, but when it failed to show up alongside my copy of Exile, ordered at the same time, I was certain my parents had wrapped it and put it under the tree without me knowing. Correctamundo, as it turns out, and so I'm just now digging into a game I should have had weeks ago. I'm also booting this up for the first time within mere hours of finishing reading The Book of Atrus, and I have a sinking feeling that it's going to make certain things in the game much more surreal. It probably won't help the snarkalanche that usually comes when I'm giving commentary on games I like either, and I'm even thinking I'll be turning it up to 11 this time. This is the last game in the original series after all, and I don't plan on playing Uru or End of Ages. It just wouldn't be right unless I went all MST3k for it. =P Just remember though folks, I only snark because I care.

OOC Tech Error Report Section

Up until now dealing with technical errors has almost been part of my Myst game play experience as much as the games themselves. The original game basically needs life support to run on modern computers. Riven was catastrophic nightmare that took me three months to complete, mainly due to a combination of constant crashing and save-game related issues in between being too busy with college to really buckle down and finish it. Lastly I had a bug with Exile where the game would lock up whenever I closed the window to look at my home page, meaning I had to restart every time I got stuck on a puzzle and needed to look at a walk through. Because of all of that I think it might be nice to mention any glitches or errors I come across during my play through out of character; I'll update this section whenever I bump into any bugs. If I find solutions for them it may help someone in the future.

Amazingly, nothing significant has come up so far, aside from a slight issue that I ran into while installing, but it turned out that it was something I was doing wrong (my gaming computer uses an external DVD writer to play CDs, and I realized I had just it plugged into the wrong socket =P). I'm impressed; it's really obvious how much more modern this game is then the previous ones, it's been running smoothly even without me turning on any kind of compatibility mode, and yet it still feels like a genuine Myst game. (Speaking of the game being more modern, the fact that it has an actual ESRB rating made me guffaw too. It's Rated T for "Mild Violence." I'm just going to assume that "Mild Violence" is a euphemism for Achenar because I can't imagine what else they could possibly be referring to that warranted a T rating. I'm probably wrong, though.)

#2 User is offline   Lesley 

• choortahn (learner)

Posted 25 December 2014 - 08:39 PM

(It's nice to hear the Cyan theme tune during the startup again. After Exile that got me smiling. Also it's just a cool little piece of music.)

Oh, the third kidthing got a lot older! That's interesting and...scary. There's no way this kidthing is not also a ticking tyke bomb. I was convinced of that in Exile and I still don't feel any different.

...Can I be honest about something, Yeesha? Maybe it's because I'm an earthling, but I don't find New Mexico nearly as interesting as you seem to. I mean, considering all the other ages out there it's not really that remarkable anymore. I appreciate the enthusiasm, though. :mellow: Also, your actor is giving off serious Abigail Breslin type vibes. This is a good thing, keep doing it, maybe I'll stop recoiling in terror every time I see you. Blame your brothers, not me. The sound wave puzzle made me cry blood for a while, but I survived and managed to get past it without consulting my guide.

Atrus casually references the novel I just read in his dialogue, because of course he does.

It's nice to see that Catherine's handwriting hasn't improved at all since back in Riven, and that a huge chunk of important and potentially fascinating information is once again contained in her journal. Apparently Achenar 'never learned to express his emotions appropriately.' Is that what they're calling it now? Sirrus likes science and has emotional abandonment issues.

Strange to say, but I think that these games may actually have improved my problem solving skills. I'm not getting lost or disoriented like I normally do, and I managed to solve the power supply issue myself with minimal frustration at first because I was getting what does what backwards. The water wheel was epic when it finally came on, it's just one of those moments in this series that absolutely takes your breath away because it's just so darn pretty to watch. Passing out in fireplace after the atmosphere change and hoping that I'll be able to figure out what I have to do to solve the puzzle there after a nap.

#3 User is offline   Lesley 

• choortahn (learner)

Posted 27 December 2014 - 05:49 PM

I finished the final puzzle in Spire today thanks to my sister cheering me on, after taking a brain break the other day to read my copy of The Book of D'ni which came in the mail. I'd been trying forever and not understanding what I was doing wrong, and then on a hunch I decided to go back and re-tune the crystals. Ahh, that was it all all along. So now it's Haven. I cheated quite a bit for the last one, so this time I'm going to try and rush into this blind. I did it once in Exile, should be able to do it again.

Oh my god the dialogue in this game. The dialogue, you guys.

#4 User is offline   Johnraka 

• Rivenworld Creator
  • Group: Veteran Member

Posted 27 December 2014 - 06:09 PM

You finished the final puzzle in Spire? I am impressed, that one was a real cow, good job Posted Image

#5 User is offline   Lesley 

• choortahn (learner)

Posted 27 December 2014 - 07:50 PM

View PostJohnraka, on 27 December 2014 - 06:09 PM, said:

You finished the final puzzle in Spire? I am impressed, that one was a real cow, good job Posted Image

I didn't say it was easy. It took several tries and a healthy dose of adrenaline. I have extremely shaky hands, especially when I'm nervous, and so any puzzles that involve precision and speed at the same time are my kryptonite. There's a good reason why I've still never seen the Selenitic age in the original game (other then being tone deaf/having hearing loss, of course.)

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1

Fast Reply

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users