MYSTcommunity: AU: Myst's ultimate villain (Fanfic pitch) - MYSTcommunity

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

AU: Myst's ultimate villain (Fanfic pitch) A first foray into Myst fanfiction and a Uru non-canonists compromise

#1 User is offline   Lesley 

• choortahn (learner)
  • Group: Member
  • Location:Where the sky meets the sea, and all things are made possible

Posted 29 December 2014 - 07:35 AM

Wow, I'm shaking right now. I have twelve years experience as an original fiction writer but writing for a new fandom always makes me rattled, because I want it to be so good. And reading all of the other threads on this forum just kills my enthusiasm. Everyone elses' ideas are just that good, and make mine feel stupid. I'm just going to have to having a similar breakthrough from my usual social anxiety that allowed me to sign up for this forum in the first place...but enough with my silly stream of consciousnesses! There is a fanfic pitch to be made, even if it doesn't earn good critical reception!

I may have quietly voiced it by now, but I'm more then a little bit of a nay-sayer when it comes to Uru and End of Ages. Maybe that's a little bit unfair, because I haven't actually played them, but to be honest I don't want to. I don't hate them exactly, but I also don't really like what I've read as far as the story goes, and the changes in gameplay leaves the games themselves utterly uninteresting to me. My first, primal instinct as a fanfic author would be simply to go back and continue writing the story as if EoA never happened and Uru doesn't count, ala wish fulfillment.

Which is exactly what I mean to do. Kind of.

A coping skill I've taught myself in order to not give into wish fulfillment urges involves a process of give and take. If there's something I really want to happen in a story, then I have to concede to let something else happen that's less desirable for me, and find a way to make it work in the story I'm writing anyway. So the decision is made: My two least favorite things about the last part of the series is the basic idea of them, and the creative decisions made with Yeesha's character. Since I'm continuing the original series' canon, that means that I'm just going to have to accept that Yeesha grows up to be troubled and broken, and decide how to use that in my story from there. This was writing hell for me, at first at least. All of my negative feelings about Yeesha's depiction in EoA revolve around the fact that I just simply wanted everything to go well for her and for her to be a kind of 'happy note' that the series and the story of Atrus's family could go out on. Not really an ending so to speak, because I've always felt Myst shouldn't really have one, but a good way to leave the series open-ended and still have a kind of good or at least bittersweet (considering the brothers fate) feeling left afterward.

Spoiler

*Nervously waits to be pummeled for some stupid canon oversight or general incompetence* o.-

#2 User is offline   Johnraka 

• Rivenworld Creator
  • Group: Veteran Member

Posted 29 December 2014 - 06:32 PM

With you on EoA and URU (and I have played both and continue to play around with URU to this day), neither were a favourite of mine.
As everybody on here who knows me, knows I love, live, eat and breath Riven - for me it was the best Cyan have ever produced, Exile was good (produced by Presto Studios), Revelation (Produced by Ubisoft) wasn't all bad - great graphics, superb scenery and a reasonable storyline that sort of brought closure on the brothers but EoA? No, not really and the same goes for URU - it's ok, which is about all I can say about it.

It would be nice to see the story taken in a different direction and why shouldn't it be you that does it?

Go for it, give it your best shot, I am sure there are many on here who would like to see it happen...

You never know how it will turn out until you do it... so do it...Posted Image

#3 User is offline   Lesley 

• choortahn (learner)

Posted 29 December 2014 - 07:15 PM

Woo! Support! Good to know it was worthwhile to post this.

I think I love all the games roughly equally, because I like to see them as one continuous story rather then separate installments. But I can definitely agree that Riven felt bigger and more immersive in so many ways, to the effect that the next two games feel like a 'cool down' from all the craziness because not so much is at stake in them. It could have easily come after them chronologically and still made sense. I guess part of the aim of my idea is to build the story back up to that level of excitement and danger. I'm going to create another plot where the fate of entire worlds is at stake, and use that plot to close the circle, so to speak, concluding the story of the series but also bringing it back around to its own origin both symbolically and literally.

#4 User is offline   Yali 

• glotahn (beginner)
  • Group: Veteran Member
  • Location:The home of poutine, Jack Frost, and Myst IV Revelation

Posted 02 February 2015 - 02:31 PM

What about alternate D'ni Yeesha? Basically through her writing she uncovers a mirror D'ni age where rather than become the Grower she becomes the Enslaver, like you describe. Imagine if there was a Myst VI and the villain is none other than mirrored version of Yeesha. Imagine the puzzle in uncovering who is who. It could be quite a twist.

...and I'm a big fan of Uru, but EoA not so much. Even Rand admitted in a recent interview that they threw it together from Uru Live content super quick to avoid Ubisoft's wrath.

#5 User is offline   Lesley 

• choortahn (learner)

Posted 02 February 2015 - 11:41 PM

View PostYali, on 02 February 2015 - 02:31 PM, said:

What about alternate D'ni Yeesha? Basically through her writing she uncovers a mirror D'ni age where rather than become the Grower she becomes the Enslaver, like you describe. Imagine if there was a Myst VI and the villain is none other than mirrored version of Yeesha. Imagine the puzzle in uncovering who is who. It could be quite a twist.

...and I'm a big fan of Uru, but EoA not so much. Even Rand admitted in a recent interview that they threw it together from Uru Live content super quick to avoid Ubisoft's wrath.

That's actually a fantastic idea if you're following Uru canon, but I'm not just not interested in that. It'd be cool to see in another fic, though. =3

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users