MYSTcommunity: Video of canceled Myst IV game - MYSTcommunity

Page 1 of 1

Video of canceled Myst IV game DreamForge's "Myst IV: Adventure Beyond the D’ni Ultraworld

#1 User is offline   tbr 

• glotahn (beginner)
  • Group: Member

Posted 14 January 2015 - 01:27 AM

As you might know, there was a secret Myst game project in the works by DreamForge around Exile/Revelation, but it was eventually canceled as Revelation was made instead. Some pictures of characters and environments leaked a long time ago, see e.g. Mysterium.ch.

A site called Unseen 64 has now been able to get a hold of a video showing gameplay! The video is very low quality - the sound is heavily distorted and the picture is muddy, but this is an interesting glimpse of what could have been. It is also obviously unfinished, e.g. the sound is largely borrowed from other Myst games. The working title, apparently, was Myst IV: Adventure Beyond the D’ni Ultraworld :scared: .

Gameplay video on youtube

Whereas the screenshots always just made it seem like the game was a piece of junk and we should be happy we got Revelation instead, the video actually makes it look kind of intriguing - at least it looks like a game I might enjoy to play. Article with more info at unseen64.net

#2 User is offline   Lesley 

• choortahn (learner)
  • Location:Where the sky meets the sea, and all things are made possible

Posted 14 January 2015 - 05:00 AM

That is a very peculiar name for a Myst game, even as a working title. Makes me really wonder what the story might have been. "D'ni Ultraworld" makes my mind jump to either Gartenay or Releeshahn.

Also, bald Sirrus *snicker* ...no, sorry, I can't say I feel bad for him. He brought shame on a family legacy of inexplicably epic facial hair, he doesn't deserve it. ;P

#3 User is offline   A'Reandal 

• oglahnth (ancient one)
  • Group: Moderator

Posted 17 January 2015 - 12:32 PM

Thanks for posting those links, tbr! I remember DreamForge working on a "secret" project and the leaked pictures back then. I too would like to play that game even with the unfinished graphics. Excellent game play!

:)

#4 User is offline   Zephyr 

• rov nee (new person)

Posted 22 January 2015 - 03:03 PM

Thanks for the links, tbr! It's very interesting to visualize where they would have taken that game. I like some of the concepts and visuals shown in the video. Not sure about bald!Sirrus, though :P

#5 User is offline   033031056 

• lontahn (discoverer)
  • Group: Veteran Member

Posted 26 January 2015 - 10:39 AM

Oddly enough this video makes me glad that the game was made in pre-rendered format !

I gives me the impression that if it had gone down this direction that we would have ended up with two "Myst 5" looking games......and, no disrspect to Cyan, who would want that ?

:arianna:

#6 User is offline   Capella 

• Team Marbelous
  • Group: Admin

Posted 27 January 2015 - 10:53 AM

I wish we could take a parallel-universe hop into the world where this was made and bring back a completed copy, jut to see how different things could have been. I can't imagine Cyan letting other people take on Gartenay or Releeshahn.

#7 User is offline   Lesley 

• choortahn (learner)
  • Location:Where the sky meets the sea, and all things are made possible

Posted 27 January 2015 - 08:16 PM

View PostCapella, on 27 January 2015 - 10:53 AM, said:

I can't imagine Cyan letting other people take on Gartenay or Releeshahn.

You have a point, but that was just my gut reaction when I first saw the title. Who knows to be honest. O.o Sure is fun to speculate though.

#8 User is offline   luna 

• meh
  • Group: Team Member
  • KI number:141809

Posted 28 January 2015 - 01:49 PM

View PostCapella, on 27 January 2015 - 10:53 AM, said:

I wish we could take a parallel-universe hop into the world where this was made and bring back a completed copy, jut to see how different things could have been. I can't imagine Cyan letting other people take on Gartenay or Releeshahn.

I don't know about Gaternay or Releeshan, but Kahlo and other unpublished Uru ages are being worked on by fans with permission of Cyan.

#9 User is offline   Zephyr 

• rov nee (new person)

Posted 30 January 2015 - 03:56 PM

Going back to the DreamForge Myst game: I remember the first time I saw those videos, back in 2010; it was on one of the game developer's personal website (I think?) and he had written a few comments under each videos about the storyline/graphic development etc. I can't find that website anymore but I remember some of the information about the game, so here goes! :)

I think the storyline was slightly different from the Rev one, but still followed the same themes (i.e. the brothers kidnapping Yeesha and the Stranger having to save the day). You started your exploration by going into Atrus and Catherine's mansion in Tomahna. The platform you see at the beginning of the video was actually where you were supposed to find yourself at the beginning of the game. You would end up there after a 'flying' cart ride, just like you did in Revelation.

Then you had to operate the hologram machine/imager thingie that you see at 1:20 and a hologram of Catherine would appear. She would tell you how Yeesha had been kidnapped by her brothers and how she needeed your help (Help me Stranger, you're my only hope) before letting you enter the house.

The guy also explained how his company had designed the model for the "sun-room" after the one we saw in Exile. The team that made Revelation at Ubisoft then used that model to help make their own version. If I remember correctly, he claimed that, in regard to that room, they had done a better job than the company that did Exile. Unless he was talking about the subsequent work done by Ubisoft? I can't recall very well (remember that it was more than 4 years ago :P).

The rest was mainly comments about graphics and animation that I can't really remember now. But I'm glad that all of the gameplay I saw back then is now compiled into one Youtube vid, because at the time it was divided into several little videos that I had to download a specific software to be able to see :). I didn't see the whole garden part, though. I don't think it had been uploaded at the time.

Overall, I think that this version seemed to have a certain feeling to it that was a bit different from the Myst series as a whole (taking into account that Exile, Rev, Myst V and Uru also felt very different than the original two games). I get kind of a Schizm vibe from it.

#10 User is offline   Shinkansen 

• Friendly Forum Curmudgeon
  • Group: Veteran Member
  • KI number:00759215

Posted 21 February 2015 - 06:13 PM

Okay, so I laughed when the hand cursor was used to activate something that is obviously a foot pedal.

It's interesting to see that they definitely tried to match the aesthetic of Myst III a lot more than Team Revelation did. I actually kind of like the design choices of this demo more than whatever it was they did in the real Myst IV. It looks a lot more consistent with the whole Neo-Classical meets Indo-Gothic Revival meets Steampunk that we had in the rest of the series as opposed to the vaguely Art Deco futurism of Revelation.

It's also a bit hard to tell what the graphical and sound quality of the finished game would have been from a low quality 7 minute clip. The textures are a bit low resolution in some spots, but I figure that's because it's an alpha demonstration version of the game as opposed to a final product.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1

Fast Reply

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users