MYSTcommunity: My novels are officially lost in the mail - MYSTcommunity

Page 1 of 1

My novels are officially lost in the mail I didn't know it was possible to have withdrawl from fictional med

#1 User is offline   Lesley 

• choortahn (learner)
  • Group: Member
  • Location:Where the sky meets the sea, and all things are made possible

Posted 09 February 2015 - 02:33 PM

This Christmas my parents ordered me all three of the books and Revelation. The game came on Christmas day and The Book of D'ni showed up the day after. And that's it, I never got anything else, and now it's February.

We contacted the person who sold us on Amazon and it appears that they don't know how to explain what happened, but we got a refund anyways so there's not much more that can be done except order them and wait again. I managed to borrow The Book of Atrus from my aunt (my aunt is really into Myst as it turns out, I don't even know how to react to that). I've been kind of bored during the wait for the Book of Ti'ana though. I finished Revelation back around New Years and yet I've come this far without actually reading the series origin story. It's starting to become kind of hilarious but it also makes me annoyed. I've been working on a fanfiction project but I won't feel totally comfortable actually doing anything with it until I know all of the material I need to.

Just a bit of a rant here, hope no one minds. I picked up Amnesia: The Dark Descent on Steam recently so hopefully that'll keep me distracted in the meantime. Bleh.

#2 User is offline   A'Reandal 

• oglahnth (ancient one)
  • Group: Moderator

Posted 10 February 2015 - 09:48 AM

This might help relieve the boredom: Re-read The Book of Atrus in a slightly different format. Heather Larkin created this adaptation.

#3 User is offline   Lesley 

• choortahn (learner)

Posted 10 February 2015 - 12:55 PM

View PostA, on 10 February 2015 - 09:48 AM, said:

This might help relieve the boredom: Re-read The Book of Atrus in a slightly different format. Heather Larkin created this adaptation.

Oh, haha! You know I knew about that comic at some point, but I forgot about it. Thanks for reminding me!

It's a shame that it wasn't ever finished though. >=

#4 User is offline   A'Reandal 

• oglahnth (ancient one)

Posted 14 February 2015 - 09:08 PM

Yes, a disappointment but I can understand why the comic adaptation is slow in developing. Her attention to detail makes each frame a sentence and each episode a paragraph. A brilliant creation but time consuming I would think. I hope she continues.

Please let us know how the book delivery progresses and more about your project.

And, Amnesia: The Dark Descent; I’m playing that now at the advice of someone who knows my passion for MYST games. He thought I’d like it and was right. :)

#5 User is offline   A'Reandal 

• oglahnth (ancient one)

Posted 27 April 2015 - 11:58 AM

You never told us if you finally received the books, Lesley.

Back to the OFF TOPIC portion of this thread...
Are you still playing Amnesia: The Dark Descent?

#6 User is offline   Lesley 

• choortahn (learner)

Posted 27 April 2015 - 12:26 PM

Oh, sorry. No, I still haven't had time to reorder, I'd have mentioned if I did. It's finals week at college and then after that I'm off for the Summer, so I was planning on making BoT a Summer read. I haven't really had time to finish Amnesia either for the same reason. ^^;

#7 User is offline   Lesley 

• choortahn (learner)

Posted 13 May 2015 - 03:05 AM

Yes. Freakin' yes.

Finally done with this mess. *Passes out*

#8 User is offline   Lesley 

• choortahn (learner)

Posted 19 May 2015 - 09:36 AM

My books came in the mail, BoT yesterday and BoA today~!

I ended up reading BoT in one six-hour stint and ohhh dear. I did not expect that to be so depressing because everything was a forgone conclusion but ffff it was.

#9 User is offline   A'Reandal 

• oglahnth (ancient one)

Posted 25 May 2015 - 11:05 AM

Great! I'm glad you finally got the novels. :D
What? You didn't binge read all three? :suspicious:
j/k ;)
Wait. I didn't see The Book of D'ni on your Amazon shipping list. Did you buy that as well?

I finally finished Amnesia: The Dark Descent. It was, um, dark and evil is the best I can say about it (except the puzzles were very good.) Probably not a very suitable topic for this forum. :arianna:

#10 User is offline   Lesley 

• choortahn (learner)

Posted 04 June 2015 - 01:54 AM

Actually, I've had The Book of D'ni for a while now, it was the lone book that came in the mail and didn't up lost. XD So that was the first one I read, and I ended up reading them in backwards chronological order. By the way, I'm actually pretty much ready to go on the first part of my fanfic, but my computer is out of commission and my dad's laptop doesn't have Microsoft Word...so it might be a few more weeks, but I plan on starting it as soon as I can!

Also, can I just reflect for a moment what part of these books was the hardest on my emotions, mostly because I read the books backwards? So the part in BoA where it rains at the cleft and Anna is excited and Atrus is freaking out. I read that without any reason to think it was special the first time and it was just like 'uhhh, okay, that's cute in a weird kind of way. I guess. I like random fluff in my books.' Then came BoT and realizing that it wasn't random at all and oh man getting the context behind what was actually going on in that scene for the first time was absolutely crushing, I think moreso then if I'd read them in order. She just wanted to share something with her grandson that she shared with her husband...yeah, I cried a little bit.

The ending parts of the Book of Ti'ana where also really powerful and I think probably some of the most compelling scenes across any of the books. I think it says a lot that even though it was pretty obvious what was going to happen at the most basic level, this one still surprised me in a lot of places. I was quite caught off guard at how Veovis is almost a secondary villain to A'gaeris, which isn't what I was expecting at all based on depictions of the fall in the rest of the series. It almost gives the impression that the D'ni survivors are remembering their own history wrong. Then again it was probably difficult for them to know the extent to which A'gaeris was pulling the strings...I was also pretty impressed that they managed to avoid falling into the Identical Grandson cliche while characterizing Aitrus; I walked away with a strong impression of how he's a distinct character from Atrus. They have some similarities that are charming but they're definitely very different people, and the book got that across very skillfully.

Yeah I got Amnesia knowing it would be pretty...dark. But I'm a horror fan, so it's the type of thing I pretty much live on. I still look forward to playing it~

#11 User is offline   A'Reandal 

• oglahnth (ancient one)

Posted 04 June 2015 - 12:10 PM

Oh, yes. You did mention you had The Book of D'ni. Let's see...when did you mention that? Oh, in the second sentence in this thread :blink:
ooops
:blush:

You probably already know the chronological order of the books doesn’t match their published dates. BoA was published first followed by BoT then BoD, but the story line is BoT, BoA, BoD. You read BoD, BoA, BoT?

Anyway. What did you think of the description of the houses in D’ni? Especially the fact they didn’t have roofs and if you lived in one higher up the hill than another you could look down into their house.

Just another Wingrovism.

#12 User is offline   Lesley 

• choortahn (learner)

Posted 04 June 2015 - 12:25 PM

Correct on the order of the books.

It's definitely different and such an alien concept for a city that it's given me some trouble with visualization. Actually, I would probably say the D'ni city is an aspect of the series I've had trouble visualizing in general. Even BoT didn't really help things much, although the various maps littered throughout the books didn't hurt. I'm not entirely sure, but...would playing Uru help with this at all? I don't really consider it canon but if it gave me some ideas it might be worth a shot. I could check out some LPs at least. There are a couple of reasons already that I'm considering playing/watching someone play it, least of all that the second part features a Bahro related plotline.*

*(The project is set in some weird intermediate timeline where the end result isn't necessarily Uru/End of Ages but some rearranged elements are there, mostly in the form of subliminal nods but also some more serious crossover and tie-ins. Mainly my attempt to see if it was possible to reconcile BoD's 'Bahro' with Uru's 'Bahro'. I'll give you a hint, the second part is aalll about what happens to Eedrah and Marrim after the end of BoD.)

I like to have a clear image of what I'm talking about when interpreting someone else's ideas in a fanfiction, and while I don't think the old city features too much in my fanfic, Releeshahn kind of does a lot and I know there are supposed to be some similarities even though one is above the surface.

#13 User is offline   Capella 

• Team Marbelous
  • Group: Admin

Posted 04 July 2015 - 12:37 PM

I think playing Uru and walking around the city would really help you get a visual for what Cyan thinks architecture is. If you don't have a copy or the time, I'd be happy to take some screenshots for you and label them - there are some buildings with lovely and distinctive appearances that would give you a great impression.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1

Fast Reply

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users