MYSTcommunity: YOU SIR ARE WRONG - MYSTcommunity

Page 1 of 1

YOU SIR ARE WRONG aka never let Gehn write walkthroughs ever

#1 User is offline   Lesley 

• choortahn (learner)
  • Group: Member
  • Location:Where the sky meets the sea, and all things are made possible

Posted 23 April 2015 - 06:18 PM

So this is actually something I noticed a long time ago back when I was playing through Riven the first time, but I declined to mention it here because at the time I had my suspicions it was an error, but needed to go through the rest of the canon to be 100% sure. Now I'm more convinced that it was the result of an inattentive speed run or someone unfamiliar with the backstory/books. Still totally worth sharing though.

When I first started playing I was primarily using this site to dig me out when I got stuck. This site, also, however, produced one utterly fantastic and upsetting assumption which I'm still cracking up about to this day.

First off, the paragraph describing Tay:

Posted Image

Alright, there's no mention of Eti's Nelah's name here, which is fairly reasonable if the writer of the guide didn't spend a lot of time reading Catherine's journal, possibly overlooking those details on a speed run as I mentioned before. I'm not sure I was thinking about that on my first playthrough either.

Then we scroll down to the section that describes how to unlock the various endings...

Posted Image

Yeah that looks fairly accurate, everything seems to be in ord-

Posted Image

Posted Image

#2 User is offline   Talashar 

• oglahneth (ancient one)
  • Group: Team Member
  • KI number:00183867

Posted 23 April 2015 - 06:50 PM

:laugh:

Trans-Age reincarnation, maybe? Sadly, Gehn chose his potential wife based on the first letter of the name, when, as all educated metempsychologists know, he should have paid attention to the vowels. (Nelah gives you the book, not Eti).

#3 User is offline   Lesley 

• choortahn (learner)
  • Group: Member
  • Location:Where the sky meets the sea, and all things are made possible

Posted 23 April 2015 - 07:10 PM

Yup, see, even I wasn't paying attention hard enough! I may have only skimmed Catherine's journal the first time anyways because her handwriting makes my eyes bleed. There are so many details in Riven I think you need to play through it multiple times just to soak everything in. Errors like this in guides really shouldn't surprise anyone.

I had a moment of genuine concern about that exact thing due to the fact that he actually ruminates about writing her back into existence in his journal. Something tells me that there's no way that would have ended productively...I think imagining the conversations is what got me though:

Catherine: Oh, by the way beloved husband whom I share all of my darkest secrets with, for some reason didn't think to tell you until now that your mother, who died giving birth to you 45 years ago and is buried in a different age, is inexplicably alive and also one of my closest companions.

Atrus: ...

Keta: I got better

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1

Fast Reply

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users