MYSTcommunity: What is the fandom's general opinion on... - MYSTcommunity

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

What is the fandom's general opinion on... re: The Book of D'ni and the Terahnee in canon

Poll: Interest Check

Yay or Nay?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 User is offline   Lesley 

• choortahn (learner)
  • Group: Member
  • Location:Where the sky meets the sea, and all things are made possible

Posted 26 April 2015 - 05:09 AM

So over the last couple of weeks I've had some extra free time and I'm making a fair amount of progress on my fanfic project. Myst Destinies is an AU to Uru/End of Ages that takes place in the years immediately following Revelation. It's got a few similarities to something that could eventually lead into End of Ages, but still far in the past and with a few differences as well. Basically there's a vague connection but it's mildly hard to explain at this point because I'm not entirely clear on it myself. That's not the point though. The idea is that the fanfic would be divided into several parts, each of them relating back in some way to the events of one of the previous games/books or even multiple ones at the same time. There is, at the current moment, three parts- A Tale of Civica, A Tale of Windgarden and A Tale of Midwinter.

Midwinter is the one I have a particular soft spot for, because not only was the titular age the first one I got to design myself back when I started working on this, but it was also the setting where I first started messing around with fanfic plotbunnies. It's the family home of Eedrah and Marrim and their daughter (and fancharacter son) after the events of the Book of D'ni. What happens to them in a Tale of Midwinter and throughout the whole thing is fairly important to Destinies as a whole, because it plays into the theme I'm going for. (That's the best I can say without spoiling too much or leading on, haha.)

What I'm curious about is that I've heard whisperings that The Book of D'ni/the circumstances of its writing is a sour subject for the fandom. I have to admit, I thought the plot was a little...out there when I first read it, but against my better judgement I'm actually rather fond of the core idea of the plot and some of the characters we where introduced to, both the D'ni survivors and the Terahnee/the whole mess of things going on there. I can't say it's going to influence my writing ~too much~ but what I want to know is if what I've heard about the fandom's opinion is true, and if so, if anyone would be particularly adverse to seeing these characters shown as part of canon in a fanfic.

#2 User is offline   Talashar 

• oglahneth (ancient one)
  • Group: Team Member
  • KI number:00183867

Posted 26 April 2015 - 05:40 AM

My impression is that it's generally regarded as inferior to the first two novels, but not hated or rejected. I doubt anyone would be repelled from a fanfic because it contained elements from the Book of D'ni.

#3 User is offline   Lesley 

• choortahn (learner)

Posted 26 April 2015 - 05:47 AM

View PostTalashar, on 26 April 2015 - 05:40 AM, said:

My impression is that it's generally regarded as inferior to the first two novels, but not hated or rejected.

That's basically how I feel. I can't hate it, even if it does register on my 'So bad it's good' meter on occasion. And there's at the very least a seed of a genuinely good idea there, and stuff I can use.

#4 User is offline   Tweek 

• telahm (guildsman)
  • KI number:38864

Posted 27 April 2015 - 02:26 AM

If I remember correctly, the Book of D'ni was written in a hurry so that it could be released around the same time as Riven, and frankly it shows. Personally I like the Book of D'ni it certainly could be better sure, but I like the hints it throws up about Garternay and the Great King as well as showing us where the Ronay ended up.

If they could just get the Book of Marrim finished I'd be a happy camper.

#5 User is offline   Lesley 

• choortahn (learner)

Posted 27 April 2015 - 05:28 AM

I know about The Book of Marrim and I thought about it briefly, but eh. I'm not going to hold off writing my fanfic for what could potentially be years in anticipation of a book that may or may not ever manifest itself.

#6 User is offline   033031056 

• lontahn (discoverer)
  • Group: Veteran Member

Posted 27 April 2015 - 06:50 AM

I really enjoyed it.

It was a lighter read than the 2nd book but it did have some quite seriously dark moments and was a perfect example of absolute power corrupting absolutely !

Were any of the books great books ?.....no.....but enjoyable none the less

(ducks down and hides under desk )

#7 User is offline   aander91 

• Forum game like its 2008
  • Group: Veteran Member
  • KI number:00087015

Posted 19 July 2015 - 03:00 AM

I read it immediately after Tiana (don't have Atrus) and after that bombshell of a book D'ni didn't stand a chance. Loved how bleak the end of D'ni was, even though I knew what was coming. That said, I still really enjoyed D'ni until the end. The end wasn't bad I guess, it was just...different? Felt a little too fast and jarring.

#8 User is offline   Lesley 

• choortahn (learner)

Posted 19 July 2015 - 11:46 AM

View Postaander91, on 19 July 2015 - 03:00 AM, said:

I read it immediately after Tiana (don't have Atrus) and after that bombshell of a book D'ni didn't stand a chance. Loved how bleak the end of D'ni was, even though I knew what was coming. That said, I still really enjoyed D'ni until the end. The end wasn't bad I guess, it was just...different? Felt a little too fast and jarring.

I can definitely understand that part (I feel that this is somewhat true for BoA, too, by the way, if you ever do read it you'll see what I mean. It's an excellent book, it's just slow to pick up steam and then suddenly becomes very fast paced toward the end. BoT, however, has a frigging amazing final act with some of the best writing across the novel series and no pacing issues at all. I can't even)

Logistically, the illness that killed the Terahnee was ridiculously infectious because it didn't have an obvious vector/reason for being so potent (like you know, poisonous gas in a closed off underground cave with an elaborate ventilation system) because it happened REALLY fast for what's supposedly a huge civilization. Like bam, everyone's dead dave. Especially considering it supposedly came from a handful of people who'd only been there a few months at most. Could have done with a little more buildup, maybe showing people getting sick inexplicably before the outbreak.

As for the very, very ending, much as I like that plotline, I also wish that there was more buildup to Eedrah and Marrim's relationship before getting the KIDS EVER AFTER thing dropped on us at the end. And the fact that they named their daughter Anna...could have used a few more paragraphs of elaboration. I can see Marrim wanting to do that, sort of? But it needed more explanation/foreshadowing because the way the epilogue is now it kind of makes everything feel like a giant cheeseball that comes out of left field. Still, I think they're interesting characters enough that I want to write about them and their family.

...Lastly, maybe I'm just a sucker for fluffy bits like this, but maybe I was secretly hoping for an actual 'guess what, BABY' scene at the end instead of the epilogue just informing us of Yeesha's existence? It would have made sense and would have also been an adorable way to conclude the story...overall, the epilogue kind of suffered from the 'show, don't tell' problem, I think, which wasn't an issue in the previous books. Quite the opposite, actually.

#9 User is offline   Talashar 

• oglahneth (ancient one)
  • KI number:00183867

Posted 19 July 2015 - 06:12 PM

I don't have my books with me to make sure of the chapter divisions, so hopefully I remember this correctly. ;) I actually liked the way the epilogue stepped back from the narrative. I thought it gave at the same time a kind of open perspective, that the world goes on from here (babies and all), and also closure, that this is the end of Catherine's writings and of the story we've been following.

The last chapter, on the other hand, definitely felt rushed and skipped over a lot of important things. Why are the D'ni suddenly going to live in a new Age instead of the cavern? Even if Cyan planned that to be a future revelation, it should at least have been acknowledged in the text, given that that was the point of the entire first half. Why not name the new Age? Why is Atrus leaving? Is there a chapter missing? :suspicious:

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users