MYSTcommunity: Video Game Hall of Fame - MYSTcommunity

Page 1 of 1

Video Game Hall of Fame ...at the Strong museum in Rochester, N.Y

#1 User is offline   A'Reandal 

• oglahnth (ancient one)
  • Group: Moderator

Posted 05 June 2015 - 01:16 PM

From the Associated Press:
The first inductees into the new World Video Game Hall of Fame include Pong, Doom, Super Mario Bros, Russian import Tetris, Pac-Man, and World of Warcraft.
Super Mario "Bros", not "Brothers"? :blink: Is that right?

Anyway.
I wonder about the criteria they used to choose the first six games. They state, “The inaugural hall of fame class was recommended...on the history and impact of video games.

History and impact? Nothing about ground breaking or changed the face of gaming? As in MYST for instance?

"Doom," for example, introduced the idea of a game "engine" that separated the game's basic functions from its artwork and other aspects...”

"World of Warcraft," is the largest MMORPG — "massively multiplayer online role-playing game" — ever created. As of February, it had more than 10 million subscribers, represented by avatars they create...”

Those two had a great influence in those specific areas but what of others?

They chose from among 15 finalists that also included: "Angry Birds," ''FIFA," ''The Legend of Zelda," ''Minecraft," ''The Oregon Trail," ''Pokemon," ''The Sims," ''Sonic the Hedgehog" and "Space Invaders."

How did they choose those?

I only read this one article and didn’t research he Strong Museum in Rochester but wonder how they made these choices.

Discuss!

#2 User is offline   Lesley 

• choortahn (learner)
  • Group: Member
  • Location:Where the sky meets the sea, and all things are made possible

Posted 05 June 2015 - 02:57 PM

This just makes me sad because it's my experience that Myst is kind of a 'forgotten' franchise. It's especially obvious to someone like me, who only recently became part of the fandom and then set out to find friends only to come up mostly empty (other then this forum and a couple of people on other sites.) I'm not sure most people know what Myst is anymore. =P It's like the Nikola Tesla of videogames. Even then I find the runner-ups a lot more significant then most of the winners. Pokémon, The Sims, Minecraft, Sonic, Oregon Trail? Sure. (From the finalists, Pong and Super Mario Bros are reasonable I suppose) Those ARE pretty special. But World of Warcraft? What?

I also think the games from Team ICO such as Shadow of the Colossus should be venerated, but I guess that highlights my underlying investment in this- I guess I care a lot about videogames as an art medium and think that's a rather important quality. Myst (and the subsequent games, especially Riven) is a work of art as well and predates SoC by a decade and a half, but I think in a lot of ways they share the same spirit. It's...not as easy as it seems to dream up an entire vast, sweeping fantasy universe and then frame it all within a videogame. If you can do that (and do it well!), you're an artist in my book and deserve credit.

#3 User is offline   Capella 

• Team Marbelous
  • Group: Admin

Posted 04 July 2015 - 12:35 PM

The nomination process involved nominations by the general public, asking for reasons, and selecting based off of that. I dont' have an immediate link since I'm on my phone.

FYI, the Strong Museum has multiple copies of Myst. When Mysterium 2013 was held in Rochester, NY, a bunch of us went to check it out, see all of the fun activities, and play around in the computer games section. Myst was playable on multiple computers there, and there were several boxes copies of series games present. I can provide a photo album if people want.

#4 User is offline   M@ 

• The Lord of the Squees
  • Group: Team Member

Posted 05 July 2015 - 02:12 PM

I seem to recall that someone took a video of Nagi doing a 5-minute speed-run of Myst :) But I don't remember who....

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1

Fast Reply

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users