MYSTcommunity: Myst Comic for £2.50! - MYSTcommunity

Page 1 of 1

Myst Comic for £2.50!

#1 User is offline   Johnraka 

• Rivenworld Creator
  • Group: Veteran Member

Posted 10 June 2015 - 04:17 PM

Yes, got myself a Myst comic on eBay for £2.50 - in excellent condition too...

Posted Image

Posted Image

Haven't shown any more simply because of copyright, but this is full colour - fantastic...

#2 User is offline   Lesley 

• choortahn (learner)
  • Group: Member
  • Location:Where the sky meets the sea, and all things are made possible

Posted 10 June 2015 - 07:35 PM

...Eww, is that REALLY what the character art looks like in BoBS?

I've thought about getting it before for the sake of completion, but considering that and the name screw-up I think I'll pass...nice find, though!

#3 User is offline   Johnraka 

• Rivenworld Creator

Posted 11 June 2015 - 02:02 AM

Yeah, the characters don't quite match up in terms of appearance (or behaviour in the case of Sirrus and Achenar) except for Katran, she is a pretty good match visually.
Artwork is in full colour throughout and I have to say it is a nice mag, looks well considering how old it is and of course it is a nice piece of Myst memorabilia which can't be a bad thing ;-)

#4 User is offline   Lesley 

• choortahn (learner)
  • Group: Member
  • Location:Where the sky meets the sea, and all things are made possible

Posted 11 June 2015 - 02:46 AM

That's true. Any memorabilia is good memorabilia. XD

Hm, now I have some questions...

You said Catherine is game-accurate, which means it was published after Riven came out, right? So I guess I'm wondering, what is this to the main canon? Does it even show an awareness to the backstory at all? Mostly just curiosity for research's sake. Also, as I understand the plot is mainly about the events that took place on Mechanical, so I was under the impression it's rather removed from everything else, but the way you're describing it made me wonder about that.

#5 User is offline   Johnraka 

• Rivenworld Creator

Posted 11 June 2015 - 09:59 AM

"You said Catherine is game-accurate, which means it was published after Riven came out, right? So I guess I'm wondering, what is this to the main canon? Does it even show an awareness to the backstory at all? Mostly just curiosity for research's sake. Also, as I understand the plot is mainly about the events that took place on Mechanical, so I was under the impression it's rather removed from everything else, but the way you're describing it made me wonder about that."

OK, Catherine visually is pretty close to her portrayal in Riven (You don't really get a chance to assess her character as the story centers around the brothers), publishing date is August 1997 with an advert in the back page for Riven, I think Riven came out in the UK in October 1997 but suspect it was earlier in the U.S. where this comic was produced.
It does show an awareness to the backstory and events do seem to center around Mechanical age (by the way Atrus and the 'boys' are visually very different to what we know and are used to).

The characters (and appearance) of Sirrus and Achenar are very much at odds with the characters in the games and I believe that this was the cause of a falling out between the publishers and Cyan - although I do stand to be corrected on this by somebody with greater knowledge of events than I...

#6 User is offline   A'Reandal 

• oglahnth (ancient one)
  • Group: Moderator

Posted 16 June 2015 - 02:02 PM

I wouldn't mind reading that comic. I wonder, since it's LONG out of print, if it's somewhere on the Internet?

Srart scanning and uploading to your site, Johnraka!

;)

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1

Fast Reply

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users