MYSTcommunity: A loss in the family... - MYSTcommunity

Page 1 of 1

A loss in the family... another community member has passed on

#1 User is offline   Capella 

• Team Marbelous
  • Group: Admin

Posted 17 August 2015 - 12:56 PM

Over on the MystOnline forums I found the news that Zardoz has passed on. I wanted to share that with people here so we could memorialize him. He's also been added to the Kahlo memorial in-cavern.

Zardoz was an amazing person. He was a smart cookie who found out so much about easter eggs. He was one of the Uru beta testers. He's always been a class act, sometimes funny and witty, sometimes wise and insightful, and always gracious and humble and having time for us. He was a great man and a good moderator, and the board and the fandom will be much poorer without him.

#2 User is offline   Johnraka 

• Rivenworld Creator
  • Group: Veteran Member

Posted 17 August 2015 - 03:44 PM

May he rest in peace and may God grant him a visit to Myst, Riven and URU in the next life as anything is possible...

#3 User is offline   Topher Bear 

• shokhootahn (instructor)
  • KI number:06868707

Posted 18 August 2015 - 08:55 AM

How sad. I never really partook in the easter egg hunts or other such puzzles, but I certainly remember zardos as an integral, active and senior member of mc. For some time when I first joined I thought he was connected to cyan in some way. It was only later I realised he was just a major, clever fan.

I hadn't seen him active in the myst universe forums for some time, but then many of us have gone quiet.

It says a lot about this community that a members passing is noted. Most other places on the net people just dissappear and we never know if they are alive mp just moved on to other things. But here we area community who cares and treat each other as the real people we are.

I hope his passing was peaceful. although he will be missed, he left a lasting legacy as part of a phenomenon that changed lives.

wishing blessings to his family.

#4 User is offline   A'Reandal 

• oglahnth (ancient one)
  • Group: Moderator

Posted 20 August 2015 - 01:58 PM

I considered Patrick my friend more than just another Myst fan and I’m sure others feel the same. He was the sort of person who generated feelings of endearment in others. Always generous and helpful, doing favors for anyone who asked even though we were essentially strangers: just anonymous fans. He almost never showed a hint of anger but when he did he was fair, controlled, and eloquent. He was a man who could make you smile just by being present. Whether he was joking or showing his deep thought and intelligence he gave a warm feeling to those who encountered him.

There is a hole in the community and in my heart.

#5 User is offline   Capella 

• Team Marbelous
  • Group: Admin

Posted 21 August 2015 - 04:45 PM

Those are really moving words, A'Reandal.

#6 User is offline   Aloys 

• glotahn (beginner)
  • Group: Member

Posted 22 August 2015 - 06:48 AM

This is terrible. :( I just learned of the news by way of the MOUL forum.. What makes it even more painful to me is that it happened over a year ago and we are only learning about it now. :(
I happenned to be looking at his Easter Egg Hunt site just yesterday, wondering what he was up to..
Z was one of the very first people I met here, close to 15 years ago (on RivenGuild at the time, along with other old timer, hi A'Reandal!). Although I never got to met him in the flesh he was one of my favorite persons here. His loss saddens me a great deal..
I'm stunned by this, he was too young to go, and the fact that he did already over a year ago makes it that much more surrealistic.. I'm afraid that news will take quite a while to sink in. :(

#7 User is offline   75th Trombone 

• shokhootahn (instructor)

Posted 24 August 2015 - 09:15 AM

Ohhh, no, this is terrible. I probably owe my entire history in the Myst community (both the whole thing and this forum) to Zardoz. I registered here originally after getting caught up in solving the YourInMySightsNow easter egg during Mysterium ’01; Zardoz's was probably the first Myst fan site I ever visited. He was always smart, cool as a cucumber, and unyieldingly level-headed even during moments of controversy (or just my own hotheadedness). One of my very favorite people in this or any other online community.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1

Fast Reply

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users