MYSTcommunity: Myst V Character Movies Not Working - MYSTcommunity

Page 1 of 1

Myst V Character Movies Not Working Well this is awkward....

#1 User is offline   FroggieLuvzMacs 

• rov nee (new person)
  • Group: Member

Posted 14 November 2015 - 03:59 PM

Hello, this may be for advanced computer gurus...
I'm trying to run Myst V pc on my mac via wineskin (because I'm trying to cut down on my many vms and reboots) but the movies aren't working right. Installed fine, launches ok, and the intro movie played fine.
Gameplay is good up to when Yeesha first appears. She stays in the same position but the camera moves as if she is moving. Also there's no dialog, just music. It won't go past this point, mouse doesn't respond. No error messages. Yet I can command+Q to close the app. Any ideas?

Myst V Limited Edition from GOG
Mac OSX 10.6.8
Wineskin Winery 1.7
Wineskin 2.6.2 Engine 1.7.52
Wineskin is simulating XP

#2 User is offline   olddude 

• glotahn (beginner)
  • Group: Veteran Member

Posted 16 November 2015 - 07:38 AM

I don't know if I can help you. I'm running MYST V in the same wrapper in El Capitan but it's the Mac DVD version, hacked to simulate the Windows version, first with files from the PC Demo, then with a no-DVD exe I found somewhere on the web. It's running perfectly but it was a trip getting there.

Try this: First, duplicate your app. At least you'll have a partially working copy to go back to. Next, right click your app/wrapper, open the package contents, open the Wineskin app, click "Advanced", click "Tools", click "Winetricks", select "Settings", check "ddr=gdi Set DirectDrawRender to gdi" then do a test run. If that doesn't work, you best bet is to ask for help in the Wineskin forum:

http://wineskin.urge...m.php?forumId=1

If you can't get help there, you'll have to do some experimenting. It's a puzzle but it's solvable. I currently have the PC versions of all of the games including RIVEN and the original realMYST running in wrappers in the current Mac OS. The only one I had no success with was MYST Masterpiece. It always crashed at the first link to the dock, no matter what I tried.

Good luck!

#3 User is offline   FroggieLuvzMacs 

• rov nee (new person)

Posted 16 November 2015 - 05:05 PM

View Postolddude, on 16 November 2015 - 07:38 AM, said:

I don't know if I can help you. I'm running MYST V in the same wrapper in El Capitan but it's the Mac DVD version, hacked to simulate the Windows version, first with files from the PC Demo, then with a no-DVD exe I found somewhere on the web. It's running perfectly but it was a trip getting there.

Try this: First, duplicate your app. At least you'll have a partially working copy to go back to. Next, right click your app/wrapper, open the package contents, open the Wineskin app, click "Advanced", click "Tools", click "Winetricks", select "Settings", check "ddr=gdi Set DirectDrawRender to gdi" then do a test run. If that doesn't work, you best bet is to ask for help in the Wineskin forum:

http://wineskin.urge...m.php?forumId=1

If you can't get help there, you'll have to do some experimenting. It's a puzzle but it's solvable. I currently have the PC versions of all of the games including RIVEN and the original realMYST running in wrappers in the current Mac OS. The only one I had no success with was MYST Masterpiece. It always crashed at the first link to the dock, no matter what I tried.

Good luck!

Tried changing the settings with winetricks, but unfortunately all that did was cause the game to close itself after launch. :arianna: I did try to run it on my macbook running 10.10.4, but same problem. Just tried to install the dvd version, but the installer won't run. :anvil: I will ask over on the wineskin forum and see if they have any ideas. Thanks for the info. :cool:

#4 User is offline   olddude 

• glotahn (beginner)

Posted 16 November 2015 - 07:07 PM

I didn't have a lot of hope for that to work but it was worth a try. If you have the PC version of the DVD you might be better off copying the previously installed game folder from a PC into the wrapper. Installing from a setup.exe on a disc doesn't always work for everything.

If you have the Mac version of the DVD, see my thread in the MYST V section, of nearly a year ago. The last step should be to find the No-DVD MystV.exe file on the Web. I don't remember where I got it but it makes the game run normally including being able to save games which you can't do with the .exe from the demo. It's great fun downloading anonymous .exe files with a Mac. Worst case scenario, something tries to infect the wrapper and I'm not sure that's even possible.

#5 User is offline   FroggieLuvzMacs 

• rov nee (new person)

Posted 27 November 2015 - 03:39 PM

I do have the pc dvd version and tried copying from my windows install, but the game won't run because wineskin does not see the dvd. :bored:
I did find a fix though, over here. Ran the directmusic dll in winetricks and now it works, YAY! :sepdet: Thanks for your help! :linking:
Strange how it's an audio problem and not video.

#6 User is offline   olddude 

• glotahn (beginner)

Posted 29 November 2015 - 02:26 PM

That is strange. I never would have guessed that one. Glad you got it working!

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1

Fast Reply

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users