MYSTcommunity: We can't be the only ones who've seen this, right? - MYSTcommunity

Page 1 of 1

We can't be the only ones who've seen this, right? Are the D'ni actually Time Lords?

#1 User is offline   Lesley 

• choortahn (learner)
  • Group: Member
  • Location:Where the sky meets the sea, and all things are made possible

Posted 08 July 2016 - 01:31 AM

Me and a friend often get together to watch our favorite TV shows online, and a few years ago they managed to get me to start watching Doctor Who, which is their favorite series. I got hooked on it pretty quickly, and we're currently working our way through the classic series. I happen to ramble at this same friend about Myst all the time, even though they're not especially interested in it, but they put up with me. At one point we noticed that a lot of our conversations about one series lore or the other led into us comparing the D'ni and the Gallifreyans.

We eventually got to discussing this issue, and put together quite a few striking similarities:

-Long-lived human aliens
-A disdain for anything that's not themselves
-Collapsed under the weight of their own corruption and greed
-Dusty scholar types
-Harnessed technology that allows for time/space hopping
-Both have guild system that educates children by removing them from their parents at a young age
-'Garternay' sounds weirdly similar to Gallifrey
-The main differences lie in the fact that Gallifreyans are massively more advanced the D'ni, who kind of resemble an ancient, less advanced version of their civilization.

I forgot about this for a while, but I've been working on editing the Myst TV Tropes page for a few weeks now and as I was adding tropes I started thinking about it again, and it got me wondering: my friend and I can't be the only ones who have noticed this, right? It seems that Myst and DW would have overlapping fanbases/demographics, and the later is massively popular someone has to have seen it before. Also, the reason for posting this topic isn't to point fingers; I'm more interested in discussing possibilities on how the two cultures/series could be connected. :cheesy: In-universe speculation and what not. Me and my friend are also working on a potential cross-over roleplay discussing this topic, in the form of a text-based adventure game I'm going to write (eventually) and I'd kind of like some input on the whole issue!

#2 User is offline   A'Reandal 

• oglahnth (ancient one)
  • Group: Moderator

Posted 13 July 2016 - 11:08 AM

It seems that Myst and DW would have overlapping fanbases/demographics

Myst and Arthur's sister? I suppose for those who were kids in the late 1990's and 2000's.

Anyway. ;)

Your comparisons are great from the little I know about Dr. Who. I've not watched more that 6 or 8 of the very early shows the BBC produced and I only posted to make that bad joke. :err:

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1

Fast Reply

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users