• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Day one reactions!

#1 User is offline   wandering_nomad 

• oglahnth (ancient one)
  • Group: Team Member

Posted 24 August 2016 - 05:41 PM

Alright, no spoilers
But, I really feel like Cyan's done it again.
I'm about... three hours in.
And it's all awesome environmental puzzles like Riven, but the environments remind me so much of Myst.
But dang if I don't feel like I'm 12 again just losing myself in something surreal and having no idea what's going on but slowly unraveling clues.
I can't wait for us all to talk about this in the next coming weeks.

Framerate's a bit bad for me. on medium settings I get a 45. On high, I do manage a 30 most of the time but with dips.
I have to play on low, but I also have near-minimum specs.
The UI is... actually really good.
It doesn't have the problems Realmyst Masterpiece edition does at all.

#2 User is offline   aander91 

• Forum game like its 2008
  • Group: Veteran Member
  • KI number:00087015

Posted 25 August 2016 - 02:52 AM

The puzzles are super organic. The tower password was brilliant.

The game does have some conveyance issues, but that's kinda par for the course for these kinds of games. A lot of red herrings when you first enter zones.

Running on a GTX 970, so the framerate is pretty solid for me on Ultra. I did reinstall on an SSD after my first...uhh...link. Those load times were atrocious.

Oh, and I think I found a bug? Really not sure on this one:
Spoiler

#3 User is offline   Talashar 

• oglahneth (ancient one)
  • KI number:00183867

Posted 26 August 2016 - 06:24 PM

With classes starting on Monday, I had both opportunity and motivation to power through the game. The last song on the soundtrack is "Post Game Tristesse," which about sums up my feelings right now... Cyan hasn't lost their touch: the worlds and puzzles are great, if at times challenging my sense of spatial visualization (for one puzzle I'm still not sure of the reasoning behind the solution).

In case anyone missed it at first (like me), you can save games from the Load Game screen.

Serious spoilers!
Spoiler

View Postaander91, on 25 August 2016 - 02:52 AM, said:

Oh, and I think I found a bug? Really not sure on this one:
Spoiler

Not a bug, that's how it's supposed to work.

#4 User is offline   A'Reandal 

• oglahnth (ancient one)
  • Group: Moderator

Posted 29 August 2016 - 11:34 AM

View PostTalashar, on 26 August 2016 - 06:24 PM, said:

With classes starting on Monday, I had both opportunity and motivation to power through the game. The last song on the soundtrack is "Post Game Tristesse," which about sums up my feelings right now...

:blink:

Are you saying you have already finished Obduction? How many hours of game play did it take you?

#5 User is offline   Talashar 

• oglahneth (ancient one)
  • KI number:00183867

Posted 29 August 2016 - 05:48 PM

View PostA, on 29 August 2016 - 11:34 AM, said:

View PostTalashar, on 26 August 2016 - 06:24 PM, said:

With classes starting on Monday, I had both opportunity and motivation to power through the game. The last song on the soundtrack is "Post Game Tristesse," which about sums up my feelings right now...

:blink:

Are you saying you have already finished Obduction? How many hours of game play did it take you?

Not sure. I have 17 hours on Steam right now, but a portion of that is from from replaying part of the game to get achievements. And at one point I fell into a gap, ended up somewhere I wasn't supposed to be yet, and started again from the beginning to do things the right way. I did resort to the strategy guide a couple times, admittedly.

#6 User is offline   Topher Bear 

• shokhootahn (instructor)
  • KI number:06868707

Posted 30 August 2016 - 02:10 AM

fell through to somewhere you were not supposed to bey yet? was that a bug or a feature?

#7 User is offline   Ran 

• glotahn (beginner)

Posted 31 August 2016 - 02:40 PM

So I'm a bit more than day 1-- I'm probably like day 5.

But I'm loving it. Cyan absolutely has done it again-- from the message imagers that you hit as soon as you're dropped in Hunrath to the creepy feel that tingles up my spine as I'm exploring, it's everything I used to feel as a 10 year old playing Myst and Riven. The throwbacks that pop-up in the game experience also make it alien and familiar at the same time.

My computer can barely handle it, but who cares?

And finally, this is the first game I've really played as an adult. I'm getting married in a month and I feel like I'm constantly trying to squeeze 30 minutes of Obduction in between wedding planning, working, and other general life stuff. Is this the world of grownups or what!?!

#8 User is offline   rivenwanderer 

• Team Marbelous
  • KI number:00111929

Posted 31 August 2016 - 08:47 PM

I love this game so much... AND right now I can't play it. The fix for the bug I'm experiencing isn't working :( I've filed a ticket and am hoping a fix appears soon... will look into getting BootCamp on my Mac and trying to play it that way. Hope my save game will carry over if so.

#9 User is offline   Johnraka 

• Rivenworld Creator

Posted 03 September 2016 - 02:49 PM

Hmmm, my issue is that I only have an i3 Processor so as it requires an i5 minimum that would explain the repeated lag and freezing - well, that will be an upgrade then, factor in 8Gb Ram when it ideally requires double that and I have some issues playing this which is a real shame, about the only thing that does measure up is the video card ha ha.
Time to bend my credit card again lol.

#10 User is offline   A'Reandal 

• oglahnth (ancient one)

Posted 04 September 2016 - 12:47 AM

My credit card melted and then burst into flames when I bought and built my computer. boom. Worth it because it will last 5-8 years. I justify it as an "investment". heh

Built the computer last weekend and started playing Obduction. Too busy to play it more than two sessions yesterday and today but was amazed at the quality of the game. Great job, Cyan! Beautiful graphics, story line, and ambient sounds.

In the first minutes of play it plunged me into the mystery of what is going on in this world.

#11 User is offline   Topher Bear 

• shokhootahn (instructor)
  • KI number:06868707

Posted 08 September 2016 - 07:35 AM

Soo, John, what graphics card do you have? and what i3 is it? (dual, quad? ghz?)
I am just wondering how it might compare to mine and so how it might run.
and what level of quality are you running at

out of interest what is people's verdict as to what graphic quality is regarded as minimum for beauty (i.e. not just absolute minimum and not smooth running, just what do you feel it needs to be at to be able to appreciate it's beauty. I know some min specs can look pretty awful.)

#12 User is offline   Johnraka 

• Rivenworld Creator

Posted 08 September 2016 - 12:00 PM

Graphics is an Nvidia GeForce GT740 with 4Gb video ram but it seems that only 1Gb is dedicated to video which I don't understand.
Processor is: i3 -3220@3.30GHz - not sure if that is a quad or what, I can drop an i7 straight into the same motherboard so that helps..
8Gb Ram (Soon to be upgraded to 16Gb)

Was running graphics on preselected Epic, turned it down to Medium which doesn't seem to have made much difference, got as far as the house but had real issues turning around as it kept freezing.

Real shame as I was so looking forward to this but hey ho...

#13 User is offline   A'Reandal 

• oglahnth (ancient one)

Posted 10 September 2016 - 12:04 PM

Graphics card only using 1 GB? How did you measure that? Under what load?

What OS are you using? I'll assume it's 64-bit. Right?

#14 User is offline   Johnraka 

• Rivenworld Creator

Posted 10 September 2016 - 02:24 PM

View PostA, on 10 September 2016 - 12:04 PM, said:

Graphics card only using 1 GB? How did you measure that? Under what load?

What OS are you using? I'll assume it's 64-bit. Right?

Yeah, Windows 7 64 bit but Nvidia control panel is giving me that info which I don't quite get...

#15 User is offline   A'Reandal 

• oglahnth (ancient one)

Posted 10 September 2016 - 08:09 PM

Heh. It didn't take us long to get off topic, did it? ;)

Please create a new thread in the Technical Help sub-forum and we'll tackle your problem.

#16 User is offline   A'Reandal 

• oglahnth (ancient one)

Posted 20 September 2016 - 08:27 PM

This reaction is directed to what people saw when first viewing Farley's house and a certain explorer who reported in her Player Journal something different than I saw (and still see, being very early in the game.)

Our friend, foodandart who posts great journals {THANKS!), reported seeing something similar to a pre-game picture released by Cyan. Link to journal post. Don't click if you haven't seen the pictures Cyan released before the game was released.

I don't see this image of Farley's house. Does anyone else?

Do some of us see one view of the house early in the game and others a different look? Or does our best journalist engage in artistic license at times? :suspicious: ;)

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users