Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Game Control Tweaks

#1 User is offline   A'Reandal 

• oglahnth (ancient one)
  • Group: Moderator

Posted 05 September 2016 - 08:03 PM

Anyone want to start hacking files to make the game work the way you want it to? (Aloys? Are you there? ;) ) Chogon (Cyan) is providing mods that change the way you control the game play.

When I first played I was disappointed that there was no way to strafe. It's much more immersive, and natural to be able to circle around an object while looking at it instead of walking forward and turning to look at it.

Reading Chogon's Key Bindings thread on the Cyan site showed me how to add that and more. I hate to link to another site, even Cyan's site, so I won't :p (as if you couldn't find it yourselves. ;) )

You need to copy & paste the default input bindings listed in the Key bindings (for advance users) thread into the input.ini file and then modify some of the entries. Alternately you can just add entries to the empty input.ini file. It might work. ?? Haven't tried it but if it doesn't work you can always restore the original copy of input.ini.

Make a copy of the input.ini file before modifying it

This is the first hack I'm going to add:

Strafe:
Open the input.ini file and...
quote (read: copied from Chogon's post)
Remove these lines:
AxisMappings=(AxisName="Turn",Key=Left,Scale=-0.500000)
AxisMappings=(AxisName="Turn",Key=Right,Scale=0.500000)
Add these lines:
AxisMappings=(AxisName="MoveRight",Key=Left,Scale=-1.000000)
AxisMappings=(AxisName="MoveRight",Key=Right,Scale=1.000000)

It Worked!! heh This is going to be fun! Shades of the hacks we made in realMYST.

Where's Fly Mode? hmmmm

#2 User is offline   A'Reandal 

• oglahnth (ancient one)

Posted 05 September 2016 - 08:25 PM

I use the mouse with my left hand and arrow keys with my right (I'm not a WASD user.) This makes me want to sprint with the right Shift key instead of the default left Shift key.

Change "LeftShift" to RightShift" here:

ActionMappings=(ActionName="Run",Key=LeftShift,bShift=False,bCtrl=False,bAlt=False,bCmd=False)

ActionMappings=(ActionName="Run",Key=RightShift,bShift=False,bCtrl=False,bAlt=False,bCmd=False)

Okay. Too much fun for me tonight. Bed time and WORK ahhh! tomorrow.

g'night. :)

#3 User is offline   A'Reandal 

• oglahnth (ancient one)

Posted 10 September 2016 - 08:16 PM

For grins I wanted to strafe using the mouse buttons as well as the right and left arrow keys.

I changed the Select button from the left mouse button to the middle button
Change this
ActionMappings=(ActionName="Select",Key=LeftMouseButton,bShift=False,bCtrl=False,bAlt=False,bCmd=False)
To this
ActionMappings=(ActionName="Select",Key=MiddleMouseButton,bShift=False,bCtrl=False,bAlt=False,bCmd=False)

And added these for strafing with the mouse buttons
AxisMappings=(AxisName="MoveRight",Key=RightMouseButton,Scale=1.000000)
AxisMappings=(AxisName="MoveRight",Key=LeftMouseButton,Scale=-1.000000)

Thanks go out to Mister Magic from the Cyan forum for the hints on how to do this.

Edit:
Being able to strafe using either the right/left arrow keys or the right/left mouse buttons has an added advantage: If you use both a key and button at the same time you strafe AND run. A key or a button will walk strafe but using both will run strafe.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users