MYSTcommunity: MYST 4 REVELATION AND WINDOWS 10 - *SOLUTION* - MYSTcommunity

Page 1 of 1

MYST 4 REVELATION AND WINDOWS 10 - *SOLUTION* Banging my head against the wall with this game

#1 User is offline   aander91 

• Forum game like its 2008
  • Group: Veteran Member
  • KI number:00087015

Posted 18 April 2017 - 11:25 PM

So I just spent about 2 weeks trying to get this %$@#&%$@#$%@#%$#$ game to work on Windows 10 and I think the stress took off about 10 years of my life. So today I'm going to share my solution to what truly seemed like an impossible problem.

[ I N F O F O R N E R D S ]

The Problem (I actually had a multitude of errors, but the primary two are):

1. Doesn't recognize disc/"Insert disc" errors

Solved with the crack, the game uses a version of SecureRom that is not compatible with W10. Due to forum rules I can't really provide much more help since it's a Myst4NoCD crack used for pirating, but you have the discs in your lap anyway, so you're good, right? Right? Right.

2. Crashes immediately/black screen swirly for a second, then crash

This is the real issue that took me weeks to solve. Event Viewer normally spits out either "ntdll.dll" or "dinput.dll"
as the faulting module. Unfortunately for me, I didn't get a dinput error until the second week, which was the final hint I needed. I believe dinput.dll has to do with either DirectX and/or controllers such as joysticks. Unfortunately,
if it is DX, you can't actually install the DX provided on the disc, as it is not supported on W10, but luckily for us,
we can fix the other function of this .dll.

The Solution!

Disable as many generic "HID-compliant" and USB Input devices under the Human Interface Devices folder of the Device Manager. If it has a name referring to a specific device connected to your computer, keep it enabled.

HOLD ON, WE'RE NOT DONE!

Once you have identified that this DOES allow Myst 4 to run, go back and begin to Enable these devices. Try to identify the singular culprit. If you skip this step, you may come back to a computer with a disabled keyboard and/or mouse on your next boot. I was able to narrow it down to a single device named "HID-compliant vendor-defined device". Your culprit my be named this as well.

If this solution doesn't work for you, I also:

-Installed/Reinstalled the game on every combination of Compatibility settings
-Copied disc files to computer for faster install
-Downloaded a fresh copy of the game

-Cracked the .exe (this is probably required)
-Virtually Mounted the Discs
-Virtual Box Windows XP and 7
-Reinstalled my OS
-Tested the Myst 4 Demo (same faulting .dlls)
-Disabled Internet Explorer 11

I took these actions in this order, meaning I disabled IE 11 right before attacking my HID compliant devices, so this may have also been a part of the solution.

Hopefully this documentation has been helpful and gets you in. Let me know if this works for you, or if you had to take some extra steps to get the game to run.

Update: I believe this has something to do with additional drivers used by Gaming peripherals. If you have these issues, let me know if you also have Logitech/Razer hardware.

#2 User is offline   033031056 

• lontahn (discoverer)

Posted 25 April 2017 - 05:26 AM

What a carry on you've had with this.

Oddly enough I get Myst 4 to work relatively quickly.....but struggled with Riven for ages.....and it still required a bit of word to get the DVD version to work smoothly.

I wish Cyan/whoever owns all these games now would make our lives easy and devote a wee bit of time to getting them working again.

#3 User is offline   Capella 

• Team Marbelous
  • Group: Admin

Posted 26 April 2017 - 06:47 AM

Wow, aander91, what a production! Given that the noCD crack seems to be one of the only ways to let people play, I'm OK with you PMing a link to people just not publicly posting it.

View Post033031056, on 25 April 2017 - 05:26 AM, said:

What a carry on you've had with this.

Oddly enough I get Myst 4 to work relatively quickly.....but struggled with Riven for ages.....and it still required a bit of word to get the DVD version to work smoothly.

I wish Cyan/whoever owns all these games now would make our lives easy and devote a wee bit of time to getting them working again.

I think it's still Ubi who owns the rights to III and IV. I know Cyan was trying to buy them back so they could put the games up on GoG / Steam. I don't have a CD drive on my computer so I can't play them anymore and a Steam/GoG download and run would be ideal. But ubi doesn't wanna do it and they don't wanna give it back to Cyan so they can do it, so we're stuck :(

#4 User is offline   aander91 

• Forum game like its 2008
  • KI number:00087015

Posted 02 May 2017 - 01:35 AM

Yeah, needless to say, getting this game to work drove me completely insane. I think I just started laughing when the game finally launched correctly. I'm really afraid that these games will be completely unplayable in the near future. Myst and Riven are big enough to warrant remasters but I'm really worried I'm going to be out of luck if I want to play 3 or 4.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1

Fast Reply

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users