• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Late to the party...

#1 User is offline   olddude 

• glotahn (beginner)
  • Group: Veteran Member

Posted 27 November 2017 - 06:00 AM

...as usual.

Remember me? It feels a little strange to be posting again after a long break from things MYST and Cyan.

I wasn't going to play Obduction for what I thought were good reasons. I didn't think my late 2012, 27in. iMac could handle it acceptably, money is very tight and all of the countless hours I spent with MYST games, meant I was neglecting other things, some of which were important. Another small reason was no boxed version of the game. I like having a physical copy that lives outside of the computer's drive.

Well, Steam threw the game on sale for half price and I figured if it didn't work, I could archive it and maybe in the distant future I'd have a system that could run it.

I didn't have a Steam account, so I got one and downloaded the game. I knew nothing about Steam and would have preferred not to be bothered with it. I noticed as I launched the game that Steam launched as well. I could think of no valid reason for this or the fact that Steam deleted all of my start-up items and added itself to the list. Clearly Steam had to go.

I found the Obduction app in the Steam files, moved it to my applications folder then archived Steam and its associated files just in case it was somehow necessary to run the game.

I'm happy to report that Steam is absolutely not necessary to run the game.

I'm also happy to report that Obduction runs on my 2012 iMac, although every now and then it pauses briefly, I assume to write and read memory from the mechanical drive. I have the resolution set fairly low but the water setting on high because it just doen't look right otherwise. Other settings are low or medium and it looks pretty good which is good enough for me.

How many guitars won't get built, or songs written? I promise to remember to feed the cats.

olddude

#2 User is offline   A'Reandal 

• oglahnth (ancient one)
  • Group: Moderator

Posted 09 December 2017 - 06:44 PM

How great it is to hear from you! Good days past and now present.

I remember a highly respected and much loved person from way back (*cough* Rivenguild) but with a different online screen name. The name seemed to change during the contentious days before the release of Exile. That reminds me...what ever happened to BlueSky et al?

Old dude, old computer, no new guitars or music, but happy cats? I can relate to most of those. Well, with the exception of the computer...I finally built a new one after beating my “adequate” but 8 year old PC to death.

Oops. I’m off topic.

Obduction

Great game, but all work and no play for me. I started playing in Sept 2016 and only played it three times since. Hope you can do better!

As an Obduction Backer I was able to download a standalone copy from GoG. I too like a copy I can keep on hand in case I want to move it to a different computer and prefer using software without having to log on to an on line service just to use the software I paid for. Later I received the DVD box set; Well a standard DVD Jewel case but no complaints!

So you’re not late to the party; Just...fashionably late. Seems most of us have different priorities at this stage.

#3 User is offline   olddude 

• glotahn (beginner)
  • Group: Veteran Member

Posted 11 December 2017 - 07:44 PM

It seems there might be a case of MYSTaken identity. My only other game-oriented screen name is associated with the Hardsdisk MYST Pages which still exists but is getting covered in Web dust since visitation is rare to none these days. I thought some Obduction content might get it back on life support but I'm too much in awe of the game to satirize it just yet. I may take the site down one of these days but I don't need the space for anything else.

On completing Obduction, I thought the ending was just awful. I didn't see any other way to do things but after searching to see what others thought of it, I found out that isn't the only ending. I had somehow missed an area of the game that wasn't necessary to finish it. On playing it a second time, found that area and was able to manipulate an ending that was a little better. At least the characters seemed to like it.

Good game, good puzzles, although nothing really challenging. Fantastic environments even with the quality dialed down a little. OK story line. It did make my iMac run hot and glitched a bit but not enough to diminish the experience. The cats didn't suffer and I can get back to other pursuits now. Whew!

olddude

#4 User is offline   A'Reandal 

• oglahnth (ancient one)
  • Group: Moderator

Posted 16 December 2017 - 07:24 PM

View Postolddude, on 11 December 2017 - 07:44 PM, said:

It seems there might be a case of MYSTaken identity.

Ah. That's what I get for believing BlyeSky aka <not saying>. He told me you were <not saying> before olddude.

That's my story and I'm sticking with it. :p

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users